Do you care about PC components longevity?

As the title says.

Do you really care about PC components longevity? Or you don't ever care, just buy a new one if it prematurely breaks.

PS: Because I am. :D:D

Only had problems with cheap fans and cheap hard drives, and cheap motherboards and cheap computer cases, almost forgot mice and keyboards. When I think back I have bought cheap stuff and throw it in the landfill once then I go buy better quality. Some cheap mice and keyboards are really good though

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Only had problems with cheap fans and cheap hard drives, and cheap motherboards and cheap computer cases, almost forgot mice and keyboards. When I think back I have bought cheap stuff and throw it in the landfill once then I go buy better quality. Some cheap mice and keyboards are really good though

Thanks for the response. :)

So the higher the price hence the quality, will be more durable and longer lifespan compared to cheaper components? :)

What can you say about Z vs H series motherboards?

it depends for me if i spend $800 on a part then i want it to last for while like 5 yrs at least but if its something like a $20 fan then i dont care so much if it dies its cheap and easy to replace. i also dont want my motherboard to die and take other stuff with it so that id care about.

1 minute ago, joshfrog said:

it depends for me if i spend $800 on a part then i want it to last for while like 5 yrs at least but if its something like a $20 fan then i dont care so much if it dies its cheap and easy to replace. i also dont want my motherboard to die and take other stuff with it so that id care about.

Thanks. By the way, on your own experience, is there a difference in durability on Asus and Gigabyte motherboard? My 3 systems are using Asus motherboards, and I don't have experience on Gigabyte boards yet.

1 minute ago, joshfrog said:

im the otherway i have 2 gigabyte boards but have being looking at asus lol

haha. Unfortunately I have one asus motherboard died thus makes me thinking to try gigabyte. How about you? Have you experienced a board suddenly died in front of you? :D

20 minutes ago, darkwizard06 said:

As the title says.

Do you really care about PC components longevity? Or you don't ever care, just buy a new one if it prematurely breaks.

PS: Because I am. :D:D

i do care. since splashing £600+ on components is not that easy. or any particular device or item.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

oh thats annoying. because its dead maybe you can take it out back n hit it with a 2by4 for a bit. i havnt had any problems with the boards i have, no weird install problems or bios problems nothing though i am mad at gigabyte atm but thats because i want to add thunderbolt cards to my systems but cant find em thats the only problem i have 

For me it depends on the part wether longevity matters or not (past a specific point). If I buy storage or RAM I want it to last a long time (5 years at least). For CPUs, their accompanying motherboards and GPUs I don't need more than 3 years of longevity as I will have replaced and sold them within that time. It must be noted that I do some heavy overclocking on my CPU (and GPU if bios editing is possible) so the life span might be reduced but never that badly. When it comes to monitors, I would like them to last me a long time as well (10+ years if possible). The same goes for PSU's, I want them to last a really long time as well (~7 years is enough). I also don't really use any case fans and the fans on the CPU cooler (which is an AIO atm) are replaced often enough when I get a new cooling sollution. Them lasting more than 3 years would be nice though.

So far I've had 1 fan die on me (a fan blade snapped) and I had the Asus X99 Deluxe U3.1 die on me twice before getting another board.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

I tend to like hardware that can last a good while.  No matter if it is a keyboard, mouse, fan, CPU, etc.  I can't stand something dyeing until I get a good amount of usage out of the hardware.  Especially high price fans, darn things better last 10+ years for how much they cost.

I pretty much don't upgrade parts until I find used parts for cheap that are a step up or if something dies.

On motherboards, I used Gigabyte, ASUS, and MSI so far.  All of them worked, and all did their blasted job.  Though, have to say the sabertooth board did survive a PSU killing itself in loud flashy way (PSU did not like the 6+ years of 24/7 folding draw).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Yes, but I only worry about storage, cases, and power supplies.  Everything else generally outlasts its usefulness as long as you don't get a terrible brand.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Well it depends, if having it last longer means paying twice as much then I'll just buy a new one when it breaks instead of spending more (assuming everything else is the same). I treat things really well so my stuff tends to last if it isn't straight up garbage tier.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I do care, i don't like to replace anything before it becomes " obselete" because it breaks, nor do i replace anything if it works and does what i ask it to do

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Power supplies. Above all else, power supplies. With very, very few exceptions, I will not put a power supply into any PC unless I'm 100% comfortable putting it in Senketsu (from a quality standpoint).

Literally everything else depends on the rig. If it's a nice build from scratch or upgrade, yes, I care about everything from the mobo, CPU and GPU right on down to the SATA cables I use. If it's a flip or a cheapo Optiplex build, it keeps whatever it has and gets the cheapest halfway decent parts I can find for everything else.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

It depends on the component, and use case.

I assume any storage device will fail at some point, and try to have backups of anything I care about. So in that sense, I wouldn't pay more for "quality" beyond a point. However, for unimportant things, I don't care. So, for example I have an OS SSD and a Steam HD on several systems. If the Steam HD dies, it'll be inconvenient but not a data loss situation.

GPU fans would be my next concern. My experience is they'll survive their peak life, a couple of years or so, but will again fail at some point, by which time they'll be relatively old anyway so not worth spending lots to repair.

Power supplies, again depends on the PC. Main system, or other critical system, I'll spend a bit more for a good one. Dedicated crunchers, what's cheapest? Then look cheaper. In the old days, everyone doing similar would buy the "gold" £10 so called 500W ones, knowing full well they would never delivery 500W, and would usually fail in a couple of years. It didn't matter, as they were seen as a consumable and it would be cheaper than spending more on a high end one. Before anyone goes on about connected equipment damage, I'm not aware of it happening to anyone. All that would happen is some day the system will go unstable or fail to boot, and it goes away again when the PSU is replaced. It's a gradual decline, not a sudden explosive death.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

26 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Power supplies. Above all else, power supplies. With very, very few exceptions, I will not put a power supply into any PC unless I'm 100% comfortable putting it in Senketsu (from a quality standpoint).

Literally everything else depends on the rig. If it's a nice build from scratch or upgrade, yes, I care about everything from the mobo, CPU and GPU right on down to the SATA cables I use. If it's a flip or a cheapo Optiplex build, it keeps whatever it has and gets the cheapest halfway decent parts I can find for everything else.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Well it depends, if having it last longer means paying twice as much then I'll just buy a new one when it breaks instead of spending more (assuming everything else is the same). I treat things really well so my stuff tends to last if it isn't straight up garbage tier.

How about Underclocking? Does it really helps in extending the lifespan of your components?

2 minutes ago, darkwizard06 said:

How about Underclocking? Does it really helps in extending the lifespan of your components?

Only if the component is overheating due to an external cause. Stock clock speeds are what the manufacturer expects to produce the longest lifespan possible and the best that can be achieved in what they consider safe and stable power draw conditions. Undervolting and underclocking can improve your thermals and power consumption, but it shouldn't affect the component's lifespan.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I am to an extent. I'll RMA something if it's got warranty within like two years if need be, but, if something goes after two years, chances are I'll just buy a new part or upgrade, as the technology probably progressed at least mildly. That being said, I do expect whatever I buy to last at least 3-4 years. I think anything less is pretty unacceptable for current day consumer electronics. And even that is a pretty low expectation.

Monitors I expect to last until I stop wanting to use them and/or IO has advanced enough that they are no longer supported.

Keyboards and mice I expect ten years plus out of.

Core components better survive at least three years heavily OCed and then continue to function at somewhere between that level and stock for another three to five years.

AIO's I expect to last four years, although I give computers one change over when they get switched from being a primary to a secondary at the end of my three year upgrade cycle.

All this thread reminds me is that, I wasted too much money on my pc.   :/ 

Good job op....

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

On 1/21/2017 at 6:11 AM, darkwizard06 said:

Thanks for the response. :)

So the higher the price hence the quality, will be more durable and longer lifespan compared to cheaper components? :)

What can you say about Z vs H series motherboards?

z is overclock compatible, h is not