Windows 10 advertise MS shopping extension to Chrome users

WkdPaul

I never had any adds and not even this one. Though I use Opera for main web browser. But still here I see Chrome not opened. I have it installed though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, silberdrachi said:

I cant wait for micro-transactions to start coming to windows.

Clearly they think they can get away with all this stuff because people don't want to switch. But more and more people i know are migrating to a "windows like" Linux OS, or in more rare cases to apple computers.

And yet people still keep saying there is nothing wrong with windows 10. When the spying and the advertisements are baked into the OS, the product isn't the software, the product is you.

Windows DLC

Oh wait, there already is

Just open the start menu and look at all the shit in the tiles

Vivaldi browser FTW.

EDI: <i7 4970k, Corsair h110, 8gb avexir 2133 DDR3, ASUS Z97-AR, EVGA GTX980, Kingston Hyper x 128gh boot drive, 1.5tb of random mass storage drives> 
Peripherals: <RAZER Naga epic, Corsair K95/RAZER Deathstalker Ultimate>
Laptop(Leigon): MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 4k
Phones: <One Plus X, Sony Xperia Z, Moto X(2013) Huawei Nexus 6P

6 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

Better be able to disable that shit, thats just big no no for me, already payed for windows, now they wanna shove ads down my throat ? not cool......

Maybe if they did a windows 10 free edition would make sense.

Like most ads in Windows 10, it's likely supposed to be a one-off ad meant more for OEM machines that have Chrome preinstalled.

7 hours ago, Mug said:

This has antitrust written all over it.

No, it doesn't. If Microsoft were to inhibit Chrome's performance unless Google made Chrome a MS service paradise, or didn't allow Chrome to be installed at all on an advertised open platform, it'd be antitrust.

It has slightly underhanded advertising written all over it, but not antitrust.

People really need to learn the difference between anticompetitive behavior and pairing one's own products together.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Seems a new reason to stick with Firefox to me.

I use both Firefox and Vivaldi personally.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Too bad I need to use Windows for work, either as my main OS or in VM form. That said I could see myself building products that targeted Linux only in the future on my own...

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Windows 10 is a main reason why I'm not jumping into the ryzen hype train. It's sad how they are going downhill since w7. IMHO... 

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So quick overview again: Why is it ok for Windows to now do native advertising if you still have to pay for the OS? How is it not very devalued vs previous versions that almost all of the functionality for a single payment and not supported by ads?

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I really, really hope that Google has some policy against this kind of shitty behavior so that Microsoft's extension gets removed from Chrome.

Would be nice if Microsoft got hit by an anti-trust lawsuit as well. Seems like the only thing keeping Microsoft from fucking their users in the ass are lawsuits. They really need to be put in place again. They truly are a horrible company. Not even Google, the king of ads, has ads baked into their OSes. Especially not as system notifications (although Samsung did try that bullshit and got so much shit from everyone they backed down).

But Google it's still more evil because [citation needed]

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

But Google it's still more evil because [citation needed]

http://time.com/4060575/alphabet-google-dont-be-evil/

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Surely you can tweak services and regedit to remove it if it persists. Either way, it's still a dick move, way to go.