High Wattage PSU with IEC C14 type plug

Lord Nicoll

While I know I could just use an adaptor, I don't like adapting mains power items as much, but while looking at the Corsair AX1500i I noticed it has the larger IEC C20 or similar connector, but I often find myself moving my PC between rooms every few weeks, and while in one room, the wall socket is rather far away but that isn't a problem as I have loads of 10 metre IEC C14 cables. The EVGA Supernova also has the same connector. While I could also just desolder it and put in the IEC C14 female, that would void the warranty, not really something I wanna do. Is there any 1500+ watt unit that has said smaller connector that anyone knows of. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Paula_The_Butter_Fairy said:

the hoover dam

Thank you for the input 

Yours faithfully

While I would usually say "let's do this", I'm not going to do that with an expensive PSU.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-IEC-320-C19-IEC-320-C20-P036-006/dp/B001348EDC

Have you looked into an extension as you've mentioned, but for the plug on the PSU?

@STRMfrmXMN

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

12 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

While I know I could just use an adaptor, I don't like adapting mains power items as much, but while looking at the Corsair AX1500i I noticed it has the larger IEC C20 or similar connector, but I often find myself moving my PC between rooms every few weeks, and while in one room, the wall socket is rather far away but that isn't a problem as I have loads of 10 metre IEC C14 cables. The EVGA Supernova also has the same connector. While I could also just desolder it and put in the IEC C14 female, that would void the warranty, not really something I wanna do. Is there any 1500+ watt unit that has said smaller connector that anyone knows of. 

Most require the extra overhead that the IEC C20 connector since it has a higher amperage rating over the IEC14 which is only capable of ~10amps.  You can get an appropriate sized extension cord if you move it around a lot. 

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

While I would usually say "let's do this", I'm not going to do that with an expensive PSU.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-IEC-320-C19-IEC-320-C20-P036-006/dp/B001348EDC

Have you looked into an extension as you've mentioned, but for the plug on the PSU?

@STRMfrmXMN

That might work but I don't want to add a connector (it probably won't matter a whole lot) in the middle of a run to a device I am thinking of putting (assuming I can find them, and they're cheap enough) 4 GTX 690's in

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Most require the extra overhead that the IEC C20 connector since it has a higher amperage rating over the IEC14 which is only capable of ~10amps.  You can get an appropriate sized extension cord if you move it around a lot. 

10 amps is more than enough because my main voltage is 250v, ergo @ 10amps, that's 2,500 watts.

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just get a adapter. Unless your pulling the max power, the normal c14's are fine.

Like this one.

Yes, I intend to use it to power (as I said before, if I can find them for cheap enough) 4 GTX 690's for a compact GPU rendering machine. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

10 amps is more than enough because my main voltage is 250v, ergo @ 10amps, that's 2,500 watts.

They base it off of 120V standards, 120V at 10A is only capable of 1200W, and they want some safety factory on top of that. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

They base it off of 120V standards, 120V at 10A is only capable of 1200W, and they want some safety factory on top of that. 

I have a room full of cobbled together death trap PCs (some have exposed PSU's even) safety isn't an issue, but I still try to avoid dumb risks, or overloading the wires. 120v is meaningless to me other than the voltage I'm most often shocked at from damn Y class suppression capacitors. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yes, I intend to use it to power (as I said before, if I can find them for cheap enough) 4 GTX 690's for a compact GPU rendering machine. 

i want to see this. With that much power, your house wiring becomes a problem, and you probably want to do it correctly. The c14 plug is rated for 10amps max, so any psu over ~1100w on 120v is doing it wrong.

On newegg, this is the only 1500w psu that has a iec c14 https://www.amazon.com/Cablelera-Power-Extension-IEC320-ZWACDFAN-03/dp/B00I4AI596/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484884076&sr=1-2&keywords=c14+to+c19

16 minutes ago, W-L said:

So... at 250V it can only supply 4A?

Edit: I derped (?) thinking the PSU is 1000W.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

i want to see this. With that much power, your house wiring becomes a problem, and you probably want to do it correctly. The c14 plug is rated for 10amps max, so any psu over ~1100w on 120v is doing it wrong.

On newegg, this is the only 1500w psu that has a iec c14 https://www.amazon.com/Cablelera-Power-Extension-IEC320-ZWACDFAN-03/dp/B00I4AI596/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484884076&sr=1-2&keywords=c14+to+c19

I'm on 240-240 volt with wiring rated for 33 amps, my entire house can pull up to 63 amps from the grid before the fuse pops in the distribution box. I think you pasted the wrong link

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

what no, the ampage remains the same, the voltage is all that changes. I also enjoy slightly more efficient power curves from the 250v so I'm happy.

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I'm on 240-240 volt with wiring rated for 33 amps, my entire house can pull up to 63 amps from the grid before the fuse pops in the distribution box. I think you pasted the wrong link

if your on 240, then just get a adapter. Current isn't a problem

Here was the psu. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1UH4MJ3261

Just now, ARikozuM said:

what no, the ampage remains the same, the voltage is all that changes. I also enjoy slightly more efficient power curves from the 250v so I'm happy.

At a full 1500W it will only pull 6A on a 250V circuit at the wall, but at 120V you pull 12.5A, the wiring for 120V circuits are usually thicker than 240-250V in places like EU. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I have a room full of cobbled together death trap PCs (some have exposed PSU's even) safety isn't an issue, but I still try to avoid dumb risks, or overloading the wires. 120v is meaningless to me other than the voltage I'm most often shocked at from damn Y class suppression capacitors. 

Yes but they manufacture for the world market which needs to take that into account, since you are on 240V you can just use an IEC C20 to C14 adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Male-Female-Adapter-Connector/dp/B00S0O42N4

1 minute ago, W-L said:

At a full 1500W it will only pull 6A on a 250V circuit at the wall, but at 120V you pull 12.5A, the wiring for 120V circuits are usually thicker than 240-250V in places like EU. 

Yes but they manufacture for the world market which needs to take that into account, since you are on 240V you can just use an IEC C20 to C14 adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Male-Female-Adapter-Connector/dp/B00S0O42N4

That might cause there to be a larger than wanted voltage drop across the connector however, at or near a full load, even on a 240v circuit, the voltage drop plus the current draw might be an issue, then again the larger IEC C19/C20 types don't cost a massive amount, I try to keep costs down as much as possible, as it stands a 1500 watt psu is a lot, so a good quality cable can be another €50 on top of it. I'm still weighing the cost of the system versus the cost of just buying another 2nd hand server, but I kinda think a 4 GTX 690 system would look awesome if a bit redundant, but the GPU rendering power would be pretty good even for such old cards. 

Yours faithfully

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

if your on 240, then just get a adapter. Current isn't a problem

Here was the psu. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1UH4MJ3261

Oh, that PSU looks a little fishy, smaller than I expected, but enermax aren't a bad brand, idk if I'd trust that on 24/7, 

Yours faithfully

4 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

That might cause there to be a larger than wanted voltage drop across the connector however, at or near a full load, even on a 240v circuit, the voltage drop plus the current draw might be an issue, then again the larger IEC C19/C20 types don't cost a massive amount, I try to keep costs down as much as possible, as it stands a 1500 watt psu is a lot, so a good quality cable can be another €50 on top of it. I'm still weighing the cost of the system versus the cost of just buying another 2nd hand server, but I kinda think a 4 GTX 690 system would look awesome if a bit redundant, but the GPU rendering power would be pretty good even for such old cards. 

The IEC C20 power cables don't cost that much unless you need like 5 of them, the adapter won't really cause much in terms of voltage drop the length of wire run in the walls itself would cause more of an issue. 

13 minutes ago, W-L said:

The IEC C20 power cables don't cost that much unless you need like 5 of them, the adapter won't really cause much in terms of voltage drop the length of wire run in the walls itself would cause more of an issue. 

the ring mains circuit is designed to lessen that, but in reality it's the more expensive better thicker cables that stop a major voltage drop across the socket wiring from occurring. I'll continue to weight up the pros and cons, but either system will draw shit tons of power. 

Yours faithfully

the ring mains circuit is designed to lessen that, but in reality it's the more expensive better thicker cables that stop a major voltage drop across the socket wiring from occurring. I'll continue to weight up the pros and cons, but either system will draw shit tons of power. 

If you can try to not have too many heavy loads on the circuit that the system is on so, that will also help lessen that effect. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

If you can try to not have too many heavy loads on the circuit that the system is on so, that will also help lessen that effect. 

Each plug id rated for up to 13 amps (currently the voltage in this room, with a slightly older and less circuit, is 239.1 v) so roughly 3108 watts per socket, up to 33 amps, or about 3 plugs at 90% load, but the room (actually a converted shed) has had 3 separate rings put in with a 4th 50 amp circuit for directly wired UPS's for servers as I plan to slowly buy servers, but there is a whole wall almost stacked with towers that I plan to slowly decommission in favour of servers, because servers give me boners. 

Yours faithfully

Each plug id rated for up to 13 amps (currently the voltage in this room, with a slightly older and less circuit, is 239.1 v) so roughly 3108 watts per socket, up to 33 amps, or about 3 plugs at 90% load, but the room (actually a converted shed) has had 3 separate rings put in with a 4th 50 amp circuit for directly wired UPS's for servers as I plan to slowly buy servers, but there is a whole wall almost stacked with towers that I plan to slowly decommission in favour of servers, because servers give me boners. 

Well that definitely sounds like more than enough power with a 50 amp just for the UPS. Have an entire back wall of a room with nothing but server filled floor to ceiling xD 

13 hours ago, W-L said:

Well that definitely sounds like more than enough power with a 50 amp just for the UPS. Have an entire back wall of a room with nothing but server filled floor to ceiling xD 

that is the plan, I'll either get a cheap X79 system for the 4 dual GPU's or a 2nd hand HP ProLiant DL580 G7, and try to find cheap Xeon E7 8870 CPU's for it, but even those old 10 core CPU's are almost €200 each. But that server has 4 1600 watt PSU's even if I load it up with 2 GPU's it will still be able to survive 3 PSU failures. 

Yours faithfully