R9 290 4GB review by HardwareCanucks

mgsstar

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

R9-290-REVIEW-2-57.jpg

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

IMO this card is what has just put a spear through NV...not the 290X. This is like the card to have imo. The performance to price is killer.

But AMD needs to get aftermarket coolers out stat!

Unfortunately, much of this performance hinges on the fan operating at 47% and at that speed the reference R9 290 makes a bloody racket. The 290X had every reason to be boisterous in its search for class-leading performance but the R9 290’s high thermals, low efficiency and extreme noise output are disappointing. AMD would like you to believe these aspects are completely modifiable on their newest architecture and they are, but in order to achieve the strong results we’ve seen here, you’ll need to sacrifice at least part of your sanity.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Very nice. I honestly see this as my next card.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I smell a non-reference 290 in my near future...

CPU: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr 3 @ 1150 MHz core/6300 MHz memory | Motherboard: Some crap OEM H67 mATX board | RAM: 16GB Patriot G2 Series Division 4 @ 1333 MHz | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i | Mouse: CM Storm Inferno | Keyboard: crap OEM keyboard (Soon to be replaced with a CM Storm Quickfire TK) | Headphones: Audiotechnica ATH-M50's | Speakers: Corsair SP2500's

pcper just uploaded a review too, my guess is that the 290x is just a binned 290

the 290 seems a good deal for $400

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Well, I am very impressed by the 290. The GPU war got a whole heck of a lot more interesting.

Where the hell are the aftermarket coolers needed to unleash the chains of the 290 and 290X!

Interesting to see that according to PCper.com, some benchmarks have the 290 pull ahead slightly above the 290X, apparently due to the 47% fan speed of the 290 compared to the 40% of the 290X. This happened in Crysis 3 @ 4K! this card seems the absolute bang for the buck card right now, If I were Nvidia,  I would be releasing the 780TI @ $550 and dropping the price of the 780 to $450.

Interesting time for GPU tech right now.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Where the hell are the aftermarket coolers needed to unleash the chains of the 290 and 290X!

I asked the reviewer on [H]ardOCP and he said it looks like the PCBs for the 290 and 290X could be the same. So, current water blocks and 3rd party solutions that work on the 290X might also work on the 290. Of course we will have to wait for someone to try and confirm or deny that.

I asked the reviewer on [H]ardOCP and he said it looks like the PCBs for the 290 and 290X could be the same. So, current water blocks and 3rd party solutions that work on the 290X might also work on the 290. Of course we will have to wait for someone to try and confirm or deny that.

According to Ryan from PCPER, the cards are identical other than the on-chip differences.

Meaning that they use the same PCB.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Makes me wonder if there will be a BIOS flash for the 290...

that could be very interesting!

Though AMD should have learned their lesson with the 6950 and the early 7970 non GHZ editions...

We shall see!

Hail Sithis!

Not worried about temps because the third party solutions will fix that, but I'm disappointed with the high power consumption.

Probably laser cut and disabled additional resources.

After seeing the reviews around the web I have my fingers crossed that this pushes another price drop from NV on the 780.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

that could be very interesting!

Though AMD should have learned their lesson with the 6950 and the early 7970 non GHZ editions...

We shall see!

What are you talking about? I have a 7950 1.2 GHZ edition :P

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

Everyone is ripping on the noise + power consumption though. How do we all feel about that? Personally power isn't too much of a concern and I'd say non reference will fix noise

Been waiting for all the GPU beans to be spilled before finishing a new build. I think a non-reference 290 is just what the Dr. ordered.

Picking one of these up with an accelero x3. It may be a massive cooler, but it gets the job done.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I cant wait till I have 400 bucks saved, I'll be buying this first thing, its way better deal than a 780. im so excited for mantle! :DDD

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

Now we know why AMD had a staggered launch. They needed to sell some 290-X cards. Nobody would have bought them otherwise if they say how close in performance this was for less money. I guess they also wanted to see how much the 780 would drop in price.

The 290X (and maybe even the 290?!) is definitely a titan beater ONCE the Aftermarket coolers come out. The 780Ti will be interesting though, lets hope its not $1000

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Noise and power consumption are my two primary concerns. I had my eyes set on a 780, but now... I dunno. I guess it's a good thing I won't be able to afford to start building my rig for another month or two... *watches the GPU world very closely*

Gaming Rig - CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | COOLER: Stock | MOBO: Gigabye Z87 Gaming | GPU: Gigabye Geforce GTX 980 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB (16GB) 

The 290X (and maybe even the 290?!) is definitely a titan beater ONCE the Aftermarket coolers come out. The 780Ti will be interesting though, lets hope its not $1000

Could you imagine if nvidia had the balls to make the 780ti the same price as 290x or cheaper.. and the 780 as the 290.. It'd be like a slap in the face to AMD.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I smell a non-reference 290 in my near future...

You smell something burning too?

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.