i5-7500 vs i5-6500

Go to solution Solved by Megah3rtz,
33 minutes ago, Noyu said:

I will be losing 15$. ahaha that's alot in a third world country like ours. That's like 2 weeks worth of lunch money.

Get the i5 6500, if the seller lied about the bios, you'll be headache free while you munch on the lunch you bought. 

4 minutes ago, Noyu said:

hnggh I'm so torn

WHY 

OMG I am <24 hours into buying the rest of my rig and just realized Kaby Lake is also LGA1151

Whuut.

I'm currently looking to buy a 200$ i5-6500 and 99% sure of that a few minutes ago.

And now someone just told me to go 7500 since it's just a few bucks more and is also LGA1151.

I checked the price on the i5-7500, it costs 15$ more. Is it worth it?

DISCUSS.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

get it, you're not losing anything

just make sure the mobo has BIOS update for Kaby - if you stick with 100 series chipset mobo

The improvements offered by Kaby Lake are negligible, and keep in mind that your motherboard might not have been updated to the BIOS required to run a Kaby Lake processor. You'll have to get it updated beforehand; somehow. 

Get the 6500 to avoid headache of updating the BIOS. You're not missing out on anything.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

10 minutes ago, Noyu said:

OMG I am <24 hours into buying the rest of my rig and just realized Kaby Lake is also LGA1151

Whuut.

I'm currently looking to buy a 200$ i5-6500 and 99% sure of that a few minutes ago.

And now someone just told me to go 7500 since it's just a few bucks more and is also LGA1151.

DISCUSS.

I know the i7-7700k has great overclocking but that cpu is not overclockable the only difference I see between those two is the .2 GHz clock speed difference and a lot of unfilled in info at ark.intel.com  I would usually go for the i5-7500 because it's newer and not much of a price difference but usually you get more for it being newer I don't know. if you see the .2 GHz as a good benefit then go for the 7500.

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

get it, you're not losing anything

just make sure the mobo has BIOS update for Kaby - if you stick with 100 series chipset mobo

I will be losing 15$. ahaha that's alot in a third world country like ours. That's like 2 weeks worth of lunch money.

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

You'll have to get it updated beforehand; somehow. 

I'll be buying a used MoBo and he confirmed he already updated to the BIOS supporting Kaby Lake.

If he lied I'm gonna kill myself.

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Get the 6500 to avoid headache of updating the BIOS. You're not missing out on anything.

But, but, new stuff I won't even utilize. <sarcasm>

2 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

I know the i7-7700k has great overclocking but that cpu is not overclockable the only difference I see between those two is the .2 GHz clock speed difference and a lot of unfilled in info at ark.intel.com  I would usually go for the i5-7500 because it's newer and not much of a price difference but usually you get more for it being newer I don't know. if you see the .2 GHz as a good benefit then go for the 7700.

This is confusing. are you talking about the 7700 or the 7500.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

32 minutes ago, Noyu said:

then why are you even considering it ??

1 minute ago, Noyu said:

I'll be buying a used MoBo and he confirmed he already updated to the BIOS supporting Kaby Lake.

If he lied I'm gonna kill myself.

That's an awful lot of trust for some Craigslist or eBay seller. Instead of taking his word for it, why don't you ask him to prove it?

Also, the extra $15 isn't worth it, because for that price, you can get a Core i5 6600. It's 100 MHz faster and you don't have to worry about BIOS updates. Kaby Lake doesn't offer any noticeable architectural improvements.

5 minutes ago, Noyu said:

This is confusing. are you talking about the 7700 or the 7500.

7500 sorry if I typed it wrong

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Kaby Lake doesn't offer any noticeable architectural improvements.

actually yes it does

Kaby can shift it's cores to full speed way faster than Sky; plus the new iGPU

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

hen why are you even considering it ??

Gotta consider all the options man. I'm asking you guys to judge if it's "worth it".

5 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

That's an awful lot of trust for some Craigslist or eBay seller. Instead of taking his word for it, why don't you ask him to prove it?

Also, the extra $15 isn't worth it, because for that price, you can get a Core i5 6600. It's 100 MHz faster and you don't have to worry about BIOS updates. Kaby Lake doesn't offer any noticeable architectural improvements.

Oh he's (kind of) a known dude in the community. He has alot of positive ratings and he also confirmed he updated the BIOS recently to support the 3200 MHz he tested (this doesn't make sense to me but whatever)

Although, you do have a point re: i5-6600. I'll check the price and get back to you guys.

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

actually yes it does

Kaby can shift it's cores to full speed way faster than Sky; plus the new iGPU

seeeeee, new stuff

Karamo

Spoiler

The only advantage of kaby is 4k netflix. 

Wow, people watch one lazy review and they judge a product. Forum hasn't changed a bit.

OP, get the 7500. Faster CPU with a higher clock speed. Also supports Octane and other Kabylake features. Don't listen to those who just don't want you to have a better CPU than them ;)

If anyone asks you never saw me.

15 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

The only advantage of kaby is 4k netflix. 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If that's the case, it will increase my chance of chill iykwim

13 minutes ago, App4that said:

Wow, people watch one lazy review and they judge a product. Forum hasn't changed a bit.

OP, get the 7500. Faster CPU with a higher clock speed. Also supports Octane and other Kabylake features. Don't listen to those who just don't want you to have a better CPU than them ;)

all I read was "Faster CPU with a higher clock speed".

hnggh I'm so torn.

Karamo

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, Noyu said:

Get the i5 6500, if the seller lied about the bios, you'll be headache free while you munch on the lunch you bought. 

4 minutes ago, Noyu said:

hnggh I'm so torn

WHY 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

WHY 

yep I'm getting the 6500.

I checked prices on used 6600/k they're basically the same as the 7500. It wouldn't make sense.

Sorry for the obvious brainfarts. I'm just trying to be sure I can build this without regrets as this will be my last and final build. Huhu.

Karamo

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

WHY 

Because they might want the faster CPU.

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Because they might want the faster CPU.

But its not anything to get fussed over, really. its like 5 fps more, assuming your GPU doesn't bottleneck.

Please don't get 6600. It's a waste of money. I know because I have one.

As for 6500 vs 7500 there's no real speed difference. I'd get 7500 if you can afford it easily, which it seems you can't. But hot damn 4K Netflix for getting some chill on doesn't sound bad

That's an F in the profile pic

But its not anything to get fussed over, really. its like 5 fps more, assuming your GPU doesn't bottleneck.

Why wouldn't you get the faster, newer, architecture? Would you buy a 980ti over a 1070? 

54 minutes ago, Noyu said:

Whuut.

DISCUSS.

Where are you getting the items? Dont listen to them, of course they want you to buy their items so they'll give you the more expensive ones. Stick to Skylake and 100 series motherboards to avoid the headache of getting the right bios for your CPU, the performance improvement isnt that great and is not worth a thousand pesos more.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

Just now, App4that said:

Why wouldn't you get the faster, newer, architecture? Would you buy a 980ti over a 1070? 

That's not quite a fair comparison, in most cases I'd choose the 1070 because it has a lower power consumption. but because I have a decent power supply, I'd choose the 980TI if it were much cheaper than the 1070.

That's not quite a fair comparison, in most cases I'd choose the 1070 because it has a lower power consumption. but because I have a decent power supply, I'd choose the 980TI if it were much cheaper than the 1070.

The 1070 is much faster than 980ti...

That's an F in the profile pic

So you haven't watched many reviews.

The reason for the heat is bios in the engineering sample motherboards providing too much voltage. Kabylake also auto boosts, much like an Nvidia card. Some reviewers are seeing them boost to 4.5GHZ on their own. And Kabylake is more efficient. 

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

The 1070 is much faster than 980ti...

Not here. 350 bucks brand new.