Best Game Engine?

MrWorldBerg

I'm interested in Game Development. I know Python. I'm looking a for game engines that have an easy learning curve. 3d game dev is what I want to do.  Suggestions? And why?

for python there isn't much there is pygame but I believe that is 2D and only works with python 2.x. I would say unity with either c# or JavaScript. Also this isn't the wrong sub for this question.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

If you want to get into game development most people that have done it/tried will tell you 3D is the wrong place to start. I'd recommend starting very small, in 2D, maybe even text based. Play with it, then move up. However if you are determined to start with 3D the most used 3D game engines that beginners use are Unity and Unreal engine, they are both great platforms with very simple as well as very advanced features as well as great tutorials all over the palce on how to use them. Good luck. 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

1 hour ago, MrWorldBerg said:

I'm interested in Game Development. I know Python. I'm looking a for game engines that have an easy learning curve. 3d game dev is what I want to do.  Suggestions? And why?

Blender is a 3d modelling engine that can be scripted with python.

Unity is a common 3d engine used in schools, and then after that (if you wish) Unreal engine has a guide to transition from Unity to Unreal. (Unity is C#, and JavaScript. No longer supporting Boo. Unreal uses C++.) You can learn JavaScript on Codecademy.com for free, and Unity has tons of tutorials.

Source Engine is free, and pretty cool. C++.

CryEngine (Free now, and owned by Amazon) uses C++, C#, and Lua (Lua is a scripting language similar to C++ I believe.)

Roblux is a free game and game mode creator that uses Lua, with very comprehensive tutorials. You can't sell anything tho.

CopperCube is a "Script free" engine where it's very easy to program, however there is a way to write your own JavaScript scripts.

Game Guru is another 3d engine that's very easy to use, and is "Script free" however you can modify, and write your own Lua scripts.

I don't know much about S2 Engine, but I believe it uses C++ and is on sale for 15 USD on steam.

Leadwerks is similar to Source Engine, and uses Lua for personal edition, and Lua or C++ in professional edition.

Finally you can download the source code for the original 3D engine (Original Quake engine) from GitHub. It's under the GNU license I believe. The art is copy protected, but the engine is open source. You cannot distribute the engine for money.(Unless you work something out with ID for money.) However you are NOT required to share your engine.

Those are all the engines I know about that are 3D. Unity, and Unreal are royalty cost based, CryEngine is 100% free cuz amazon. Source only lets you export to Steam. Obviously Quake is free as it is open source. The rest are paid, but no further royalties of any kind. Roblux isn't a game engine, but it kinda is. The game engine is part of the game.

Of course Unity is a go-to, but take a look at Godot - it's a nice engine, that uses their own language for scripting, that's based on Python.

On 12/26/2016 at 5:38 PM, vorticalbox said:

for python there isn't much there is pygame but I believe that is 2D and only works with python 2.x. I would say unity with either c# or JavaScript. Also this isn't the wrong sub for this question.

There is no javascript in unity

4 minutes ago, Clechay said:

There is no javascript in unity

I thought unity could use js? My bad.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

There is no best game engine they are quite good for different things (and ofcourse there are some engines that shouldn't exist), for learning if you don't know anything yet I would say that unity is a nice begining start with something like a Pong or Snake clone as you will get the basics down, update loops and just the basic of working with the engine. If you are more interested in engine coding than gameplay coding I would say do the same games but make them with something like SDL2 in C++ more or less all game engines are written in C++. After you've done these basic games take a basic 3d game concept and do that I don't have any good examples but make sure that you wan't to create the game. One important thing about completing a project is to always try to look at it at the end and learn somthing from what you did wrong, you will never do everything right. If you have anymore questions just ask away I'm currently working in Unreal and as I C++ programmer I kinda enjoy it but one important thing to remember is that you will always have some kind of hate love relationship with the engine you are working with.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:31 AM, MrWorldBerg said:

Unity is really easy to use and you can use C# for programming it. It's the easier mainstream game engine to use...

Although, I'm actually in the process of making a game engine.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),