EVGA GTX 1070 SC Vs Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming

4 hours ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

4 hours ago, App4that said:

I'm sorry I caused you guys to get into an argument. This is my first time building a computer and I just wanted to know if EVGA SC card is safe to buy. Specifically, that if I buy the card from Amazon the thermal pad would be already installed. If not I was just going to get the Gigabyte card.

29 minutes ago, 1bluisin said:

I'm sorry I caused you guys to get into an argument. This is my first time building a computer and I just wanted to know if EVGA SC card is safe to buy. Specifically, that if I buy the card from Amazon the thermal pad would be already installed. If not I was just going to get the Gigabyte card.

My point the whole time. Why worry if you know the Gigabyte card won't have that issue? But since they'll perform the same getting which ever is cheaper works too. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

12 hours ago, 1bluisin said:

That's the thing i was trying to explain. There's no risk anymore. Both will perform the same, have great cooling and look good. Pick the one that looks the best to you.

• 2 weeks later...

lol well that looks like a fun argument. 

I had bought an ASUS GTX 1070 Strix Gaming a week ago, and after trying multiple video drivers, updating the V-BIOS (memory fix for issues experienced with Micron Memory used in GTX 1070's due to shortage of Samsung Memory)... I still couldn't play any game except like... GTA V and Inside.. Weirdest experience I ever had and most nerve wracking. For Example a game would load up, menu and all - once you start the game and you see your character/loaded game screen or whatever - flashing in and out black screen like it's a resolution error - and then the game would crash. So definitely an issue with the card, hands down

*****However, I'm sure like anybody else, the card happened to be a bad egg from the batch - Most likely if I had picked up another Strix, it would work.. most likely.  

Though instead of going with another ASUS Strix, I decided to go with the company I first bought my GTX 970 G1 with... Gigabyte!!  So I got a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 and I did not have to do any bios update, I did happen to fool around with a few drivers but NONE of them gave me issues (ended up picking the latest Nvidia driver from the gigabyte website, I doubt one of the latest from the Nvidia site would give me any problem) ... and 1,2,3 all my games are working, everything plays buttery smooth.

So far, I love Gigabyte's G1 cards. The 970 overclocked and performed astonishingly, even with the factory overclock; but the 1070 G1 is obvious the next bigger animal and it doesn't disappoint.

I would have gone with another ASUS card if I wasn't afraid of having the same issue experienced, and I only wanted one of their cards because they came with dual HDMI for VR use!!   However, (for you VR guys who don't know this yet) --> now that I know that if you use a DVI-D to HDMI adapter to CARRY AUDIO (when playback device is set to your VR headset/monitor, there's no need for dual HDMI!!  THANKFULLY

So, ended up being a great win win for me. And slightly cheaper (for me) than the STRIX gaming. 

If you choose to buy either, hopefully there's a microcenter or a PC store near you (or online) that has a great return/exchange policy with a [2 or 4 year] replacement warranty - this way you can easily return your card if it's faulty or upgrade! 

One thing though, if you get the Strix, I can't really see the OC (overclocked) version being worth the extra money. It's the exact same card, overclocked for you - save your $$.  And in addition to that, my 970 G1 was a big card...... the 1070 Strix was a BIIGGGGG CARD .. and i squeezed that sucker in my Silverstone GD09 HTPC case... accidentally pulling off the power cable for my secondary HDD which made me freak out after realizing none of my games were recognized after booting up the PC lol.

Gigabyte 1070 G1 FTW for me, almost as big as the 970 G1 but fits well, plays well, cools EXCELLENTLY..  and cheaper,.

EVGA has an excellent warranty/return policy so no matter what anybody says - they excel in that area.

But the choice is yours, I say try one out or get both and try them - see which you like and return the other!