EVGA GTX 1070 SC Vs Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming

Trying to decide which GPU is safer to buy. The EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked or the Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming.

The EVGA GTX 1070 and 1080 cards had an overheating issue a while ago. I know it has been fixed but, I want to avoid buying an old card online that does not have the special strip installed.( I don't want to do it myself or send in for a replacement)

Gigabyte 1070 seems to run cooler and is a little bit cheaper. According to GPUBOSS, the cards perform exactly the same. My question is which card do you guys think is the most reliable in performance, power consumption, and cooling features?

Easy, the one you think looks better is the better performer, as they perform the same.

PC 0: Pinky 2.0

Ryzen 9 5950x — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 5 @3600Mhz CL14-13-13-28-288 — ROG Crosshair 8 Dark Hero — RX 6900 XT — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB — Samsung PM961 1TB  WD Blue 4TB HDD — Corsair AX1500i — Thermaltake Core P5 

PC 1: Pinky (Yes that is her name) Here's the build

Xeon E5-1680V3 — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Samsung 950Pro 512GB — Seagate 2TB HDD — Corsair RM1000 — Thermaltake Core P5

PC 1.1: Pinky (Mom Edition) Here's the build

i7-5960X — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 3 1TB — Samsung Q 870 Evo 4TB — Corsair HX850i — InWin S-Frame #190

PC 2: Red Box/Scarlet Overkill (Dual Xeon)

Xeon E5-2687W x2 — 96GB Kingston DDR3 ECC REG @1333Mhz — EVGA Classified SR-X Dual CPU — GTX 1070 SLI (2-WAY) —Hardline Loop — Samsung 750 EVO 256GB — Seagate 2TB 2.5" HDD x3 — Self-Built Case

Asus Strix 1070

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I recommend getting the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (the one I have) but you need a deep case as the cooler and PCB are higher than some other aftermarket cooled cards. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

2 hours ago, App4that said:

Easy, Gigabyte puts thermal pads on their cards. get the Gigabyte. 

People like you are such a pain in the ass. EVGA screwed up, they fixed it. Get over it. 

Just now, MrAlbertrocks said:

People like you are such a pain in the ass. EVGA fucked up, they fixed it. Get over it. 

How did they fix it? Seems to me they still sold people cards without thermal pads installed hoping to save a buck. 

That's a company you want to protect? OK. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

43 minutes ago, App4that said:

How did they fix it? Seems to me they still sold people cards without thermal pads installed hoping to save a buck. 

That's a company you want to protect? OK. 

I said they screwed up, they send a fix for people with the issue and offered people a chance to return the cards. They no longer ship cards without thermal pads. The problem has been solved, there's no reason to keep bringing that up if considering buying one of their cards.

4 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

I said they screwed up, they send a fix for people with the issue and offered people a chance to return the cards. They no longer ship cards without thermal pads. The problem has been solved, there's no reason to keep bringing that up if considering buying one of their cards.

They didn't "screw up", that's forgetting to put cheese on my burger. You don't "forget" to put thermal pads on. That crosses so many desks I don't even know where to begin. 

EVGA purposely chose not to install thermal pads. They knew the risk, and did it anyway. The only way you make up for that is publicly saying so. Not saying "oops"

That's like someone "forgetting" the insulation in the home you just built, and saying "oops"

Get the G1 Gaming, rocking one myself. It's a beauty in every way :)

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

And even if you want to believe the fairy tale they "forgot", that's who you want building your graphics card? The company that forgets? What else have they forgotten?

Shall we acknowledge the problem? or continue?

1 hour ago, App4that said:

And even if you want to believe the fairy tale they "forgot", that's who you want building your graphics card? The company that forgets? What else have they forgotten?

Shall we acknowledge the problem? or continue?

You have a very disturbing problem with putting words in other's people mouth. It's actually funny, because i NEVER said they "forgot". I said they SCREWED up, that meats f*ck it up, a mistake, something they shouldn't have done, do i need to go on?. "Shall we acknowledge the problem?", What the hell is that even supposed to mean, everyone has acknowledge the problem, that's not the point. The point is, that the "problem" doesn't exist anymore. If YOU don't want to trust EVGA because of that mistake, that is your choice, but misleading other people into believe that there is still a problem with their cards is not ok. You are misinforming people because you don't like how a company handled a situation, that's childish. As of today, the FTW and SC lineup from EVGA is as good as any other reputable brand, if you want to choose other brand because you don't trust EVGA after what happened, good for you, but please stop misleading people because you have a personal issue against a company.

Oh, and with all these replies and comments, looks like you forgot your first comment was a flat out lie, you didn't state that "EVGA should not be trusted", you said that EVGA doesn't put thermal pads on their cards, and that is not true ANYMORE. It's been a month, most people got over it, the fact that you haven't should not mean that the OP should do the same.

1 minute ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

-snip-

The problem has not gone away, the fact EVGA blatantly tried to get away with not using thermal pads has not gone away. You don't walk away from a crime you got caught committing, innocent...

EVGA is guilty, that fact has not changed. The problem still exists. Buying one of their cards is inviting that problem into your home. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

The problem has not gone away, the fact EVGA blatantly tried to get away with not using thermal pads has not gone away. You don't walk away from a crime you got caught committing, innocent...

EVGA is guilty, that fact has not changed. The problem still exists. Buying one of their cards is inviting that problem into your home. 

Now you're just delusional. "Inviting that problem into your home"? EVGA's guilt in this situation is NOT the problem. People don't care about who's at fault, they care about their GPUs, are they defective? How's going to fix it? Is it safe NOW to buy one of their cards?. The problem never was about EVGA trying to get away, it was about the GPUs not having thermal pads. They do now, problem is solved. Is EVGA still guilty? Of course yes, no one has said otherwise, but the GPUs are safe to buy, and they are good.

The OP wants to know which card to buy, both of them are good options, both of them are good, have efficient cooling and high boost clocks. EVGA's guilt has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation. As i said, "If YOU don't want to trust EVGA because of that mistake, that is your choice, but misleading other people into believe that there is still a problem with their cards is not ok".

3 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

-snip-

EVGA is Guilty, or incompetent. Why would you suggest someone buy from a guilty or incompetent company?

The Gigabyte card is the better card, it coming from a better company is just icing on the cake. 

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

EVGA is Guilty, or incompetent. Why would you suggest someone buy from a guilty or incompetent company?

The Gigabyte card is the better card, it coming from a better company is just icing on the cake. 

Now THIS is subjective, what i said before was factual, their cards have thermal pads and are safe to buy. What you're saying now can be subjective to people's opinion. Which card looks better, which one fits more into my build, etc, etc. I personally like the FTW. You may like the gigabyte, that is perfectly fine. There is no "better" card, AFAIK, they both have a boost clock of 1784 mhz. (SC VS G1 Gaming). 

And EVGA is not incompetent in MY opinion (Again, them being incompetent is subjective). They still make some pretty kick-ass cards and have great customer support, regardless of their screw-up with the thermal pads. And i don't suggest a card because of the company, i suggest a card because of how they're built, core clocks, looks, and in SOME cases, yes, how good is the customer support. 

If you don't want to trust EVGA because they made a mistake once, that's your choice, i don't think they should loose ALL credibility and reputation because of ONE mistake. 

Anyway, this debate is going too far, if you still think i'm wrong, then let's agree to disagree and be done with it.

1 minute ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

-snip-

One mistake? No my friend, I could bury you in their mistakes. EVGA has been using the good reputation they earned to rip people off. Which has to go down as the saddest thing I've seen in my entire experience as an enthusiast. And I started on a Apple II Plus when they were new. 

I get you like EVGA, they had earned a good reputation. That does not mean you look the other way.

OP asked a question, that question is easily answered. It's answered using facts, not fandom. Ratther than waiting to see what other problems the EVGA card has, the OP can buy a Gigabyte card that has not been found to have problems. No worrying if the one they purchase is from before the "fix", not worrying about further problems. 

This is simple, you're making it complicated because you are a fan of EVGA. Please, stop. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

One mistake? No my friend, I could bury you in their mistakes. EVGA has been using the good reputation they earned to rip people off. Which has to go down as the saddest thing I've seen in my entire experience as an enthusiast. And I started on a Apple II Plus when they were new. 

I get you like EVGA, they had earned a good reputation. That does not mean you look the other way.

OP asked a question, that question is easily answered. It's answered using facts, not fandom. Ratther than waiting to see what other problems the EVGA card has, the OP can buy a Gigabyte card that has not been found to have problems. No worrying if the one they purchase is from before the "fix", not worrying about further problems. 

This is simple, you're making it complicated because you are a fan of EVGA. Please, stop. 

And again, putting words into other people's mouths. I never said i was a fan of EVGA. I like them, just as i like Asus and MSI, because i've owned several components from those brands, not only GPUs, and i have never encountered an issue with them. I am not aware of all those shady practices that EVGA has been involved with. Really, you are the first person to ever say something like that, so you should back it up. And just as you are pointing fingers at me saying that i'm a fan, i could do the same to you and say you are a hater. Actually, it makes a little bit more sense since you are assuming things that should not be assume. Why on earth are you assuming EVGA's GPUs can have MORE problems? That's like saying "Oh don't buy GPUs from ASUS, i have a feeling they might have technical issues". It doesn't make any sense, especially if you said in that same paragraph "It's answered using facts", then you proceed to assume things and worry about problems that don't exist, but you THINK they MIGHT appear.

And "worrying if the one they purchase is from before the fix" is not a thing. All cards shipped after -Don't remember exact date- have thermal pads and the BIOS update.

If the OP's question is answered with facts, then why are you talking about the problems that don't exist and worries that you shouldn't have? Why don't you actually use facts? Like which card has better temps, higher core clocks, etc. I don't think you're ever going to understand what i'm saying, and i'm the kind of person that won't stop until i prove i'm right. So we are better off leaving this debate alone. 

2 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

-snip-

If you want to talk about what EVGA has been up to the last few months, PM me. This discussion is about the 1070. 

Fact 1. That ship date is from EVGA, not any retailer the OP might use.

Fact 2. EVGA failed to install thermal pads, that calls into question what else was left out or mistakenly placed on that card.

Fact 3. Some of the 1070s from EVGA that failed harmed other components. People are out their computers waiting for a resolution.

Fact 4. The cooler on the EVGA card is less effective than that installed on the Gigabyte.

Fact 5. The Black edition, the 1070 placed to compete with the G1 has no backplate. While the G1 does.

If you have an issue with that, PM me. 

9 minutes ago, App4that said:

If you want to talk about what EVGA has been up to the last few months, PM me. This discussion is about the 1070. 

Fact 1. That ship date is from EVGA, not any retailer the OP might use.

Fact 2. EVGA failed to install thermal pads, that calls into question what else was left out or mistakenly placed on that card.

Fact 3. Some of the 1070s from EVGA that failed harmed other components. People are out their computers waiting for a resolution.

Fact 4. The cooler on the EVGA card is less effective than that installed on the Gigabyte.

Fact 5. The Black edition, the 1070 placed to compete with the G1 has no backplate. While the G1 does.

If you have an issue with that, PM me. 

1- That is true, but Newegg, amazon, EVGA, or any other big retailer won't have the pre-fix cards for sale. But yes, that is true.

2- My Asus Strix gtx 970 was causing black screens last year, should that call into question if every other 970 was also defective?. Plus, Gamer Nexus has done an amazingly thorough investigation, the only problems found were the lack of thermal pads and defective PCBs on the first batches of GPUs. None of these problem exist anymore

3- Irrelevant, they are fixed and are no longer a threat. (By irrelevant, i mean irrelevant to THIS situation, if we are talking about EVGA's way to handle this problem, then it would be a different answer)

4- Cooling efficiency can and will vary between brands, but the difference is negligible. Temps are still great. If we were to choose a card because one runs a few Celsius cooler than the other, then everyone would be using the same card. 

5- Read the title, it says SC. The black has absolutely nothing to do with this, it almost looks like you're trying to mislead me just to be "right".

You might want to re-think those so called "facts".

@App4that 

@MrAlbertrocks

Sheesh. How to derail a thread.. This isn't about whether EVGA is a morale company or not. Hell Comcast and TWC are terrible morale companies, but people still buy them because there's no better options

7 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

1- That is true, but Newegg, amazon, EVGA, or any other big retailer won't have the pre-fix cards for sale. But yes, that is true.

2- My Asus Strix gtx 970 was causing black screens last year, should that call into question if every other 970 was also defective?. Plus, Gamer Nexus has done an amazingly thorough investigation, the only problems found were the lack of thermal pads and defective PCBs on the first batches of GPUs. None of these problem exist anymore

3- Irrelevant, they are fixed and are no longer a threat. (By irrelevant, i mean irrelevant to THIS situation, if we are talking about EVGA's way to handle this problem, then it would be a different answer)

4- Cooling efficiency can and will vary between brands, but the difference is negligible. Temps are still great. If we were to choose a card because one runs a few Celsius cooler than the other, then everyone would be using the same card. 

5- Read the title, it says SC. The black has absolutely nothing to do with this, it almost looks like you're trying to mislead me just to be "right".

You might want to re-think those so called "facts".

Hmm, before you start a discussion of definitions, might want to take me up on that offer of a PM so I can fill you in on my background LOL.

2. Yes, I do consider things like that. Notice I didn't advise the Strix.

3. Relevant. As EVGA has had a problem with their quality control. Proof is the 1070 in question.

4. As they should.

5. Says SC, the Black is a model of SC. 

16 minutes ago, App4that said:

Hmm, before you start a discussion of definitions, might want to take me up on that offer of a PM so I can fill you in on my background LOL.

2. Yes, I do consider things like that. Notice I didn't advise the Strix.

3. Relevant. As EVGA has had a problem with their quality control. Proof is the 1070 in question.

4. As they should.

5. Says SC, the Black is a model of SC. 

2- If that is true, then i really have no interest in continuing this debate with you. Moreover, you might be one of the few persons that do that, the OP might not.

3- Had. Not anymore, i really don't see why is it so hard to understand.

4- Really? I mean, do you really believe people should buy the same card just because it runs 2-3 celsius cooler than the other ones. You are either delusional, or trying to force your way into being right, even if it means saying such a stupid comment.

5- He never said "Black edition". He only said "SC". It's very different, one has a backplate, the other doesn't, you have a choice.

The way you think, the way you debate, you're not the type of person one can have a sincere debate with. This is my last reply to you, you can have the final word, i know you love that.

23 minutes ago, Wolther said:

@App4that 

@MrAlbertrocks

Sheesh. How to derail a thread.. This isn't about whether EVGA is a morale company or not. Hell Comcast and TWC are terrible morale companies, but people still buy them because there's no better options

Yep, i tried stopping it, but he really wants the final word. And i tried explaining this to him, it's not about the brand, it's about the GPU in question.

8 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

2- If that is true, then i really have no interest in continuing this debate with you. Moreover, you might be one of the few persons that do that, the OP might not.

3- Had. Not anymore, i really don't see why is it so hard to understand.

4- Really? I mean, do you really believe people should buy the same card just because it runs 2-3 celsius cooler than the other ones. You are either delusional, or trying to force your way into being right, even if it means saying such a stupid comment.

5- He never said "Black edition". He only said "SC". It's very different, one has a backplate, the other doesn't, you have a choice.

The way you think, the way you debate, you're not the type of person one can have a sincere debate with. This is my last reply to you, you can have the final word, i know you love that.

2. The history of a manufacturer is crucial. Both positive and negative. 

3. The quality control failure shows EVGA has a quality control problem. If EVGA had found the problem, not their customers. You might have a leg to stand on.

4. If everyone used critical thinking when buying, imagine what we would have? Thermal pads for a start.

5. The Black edition and the G1 are usually the same price, the SC with a backplate is 10-20 bucks more on average. But sales mess with that.

7 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

Yep, i tried stopping it, but he really wants the final word. And i tried explaining this to him, it's not about the brand, it's about the GPU in question.

I answered the OP's question on about a graphics cards, you got salt in a sensitive area because I called EVGA out on their mistake. You made this about brand.

Seen tons of you come and go. You'll get bored and move on. Check out our post counts.