Components to build a reliable, but inexpensive video NAS.

chrischambers

I'm looking to build myself a NAS for storing video files kind of like how LMG has the vault. Mostly for inactive projects, but something that I can scale upwards in the future. Also I'm a college student, and the smaller, the better. It can be bigger than a normal PC tower case, but preferably no larger. Any suggestions?

I'm looking to build a very cheap (if it could be 350 or less) NAS box for my parents. This box does not need to have transcoding capabilities (yet, but something that would be scalable in the future would be preferred as my parents are slowly getting into the digital age.) 

The main need is storage (probably 3-4TB x2 with some form of redundancy or fail over. Items that will be stored will be anything from old 90s home video to taxes to some pictures. 

I've been looking into freenas however if you see a better OS to use, any and all suggestions would be appreciated. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

8 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

look at pi nas.  i have one myself http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/how-to-build-your-own-raspberry-pi-nas-1315968 

my personal nas is 8 tb big you can usually find used hard drive for component.  

That will be very slow due to the 10/100 network port.

Id just get something like this https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Station-Diskless-Attached-DS416j/dp/B019ZUR5WQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1482463710&sr=1-2&keywords=synology+4+bay

Or a used optiplex or something like that.

I would not waste your time building a really cheap NAS. Just buy an already build nice NAS box. Synology, QNAP, Drobo, etc.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just get something like this https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Station-Diskless-Attached-DS416j/dp/B019ZUR5WQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1482463710&sr=1-2&keywords=synology+4+bay

its a nas not a high speed storage you back up your data not use it as a daily driver 

8 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

its a nas not a high speed storage you back up your data not use it as a daily driver 

But even copying files will be much slower. Id spend the extra for a gig unit.

Depending upon your needs you could use a cheap Intel Celeron or Pentium J-series embedded ITX solution if you want 2-4 SATA ports for a multi-bay NAS.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

In a situation where price is a MAJOR concern by the OP, the 100mbit connection really isn't such a liability.  Further more, since his objective is a kind of 'warm storage' for shelve projects, you really can compensate for slower speed with a dose of patience.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

well different strokes different folks. i have an automatic backup setup with my nas also the pi sips almost no power i had mine running for about a year with no problem. 

9 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

I would not waste your time building a really cheap NAS. Just buy an already build nice NAS box. Synology, QNAP, Drobo, etc.

if you build something for a relative they will call you to fix every little problem and every time they break something

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

if you build something for a relative they will call you to fix every little problem and every time they break something

Definitely has happened to me before. Trust me, it is not fun.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The word 'Inexpensive' is literally in the threat title. So 'spend the extra' is not a suggestion that's been asked for.

That's a nearly $300 box before you factor in the price of hard drives, to do a even a basic RAID0 for say, 4TB, you're around $500 already.  That can be a LOT of money for many college students, especially when for the task at hand, one could just wait for a slower transfer to finish.  It's a backup, it's not urgent.

6 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

Defiantly has happened to me before. Trust me, it is not fun.

I don't think that's the word you were looking for...

1 minute ago, Dark said:

I don't think that's the word you we're looking for...

Stupid auto-correct!!! How has it done that.

Your just giving yourself more headache in the long run. Get them a external drive and call it a day.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

In a situation where price is a MAJOR concern by the OP, the 100mbit connection really isn't such a liability.  Further more, since his objective is a kind of 'warm storage' for shelve projects, you really can compensate for slower speed with a dose of patience.

My parents will not mind waiting on transfers or back ups. Mostly (again until they find a need to do live transcoding over a network via emit or plex) it will simply be used for basic home file storage and a little redundancy. They have some pretty important files that they have been Storeing in file cabins yes but have needed access to when they have been out of town.