[removed]

Arika
44 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

And why not? C++ is about creating abstractions and then building upon those abstractions.

Any facilities and abstractions your current environment offers premade for you to build upon can be built in C++.

But you'd have to build them yourself ofc, i find that a pro rather then a con, as it gives me full control of the foundation to build on.

Well if you write it yourself, every project would take years. There are a lot of packages (at least for python) that are build on C++ and which are very optimized. This makes it much easier and therefor faster. 

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

49 minutes ago, DaBeggad said:

then im good with java but i will learn c++ after that i think :) 

C# for iOS.

56 minutes ago, martward said:

Nope, you need Java and a little knowledge about XML for Android.

I believe C++ for iOS but I'm not sure.

This is not necessarily true. You can use a wide variety of languages to develop an android app. I remember python being among them, also go and C and C++... Check this link for more info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_software_development

The thing is that android being based on the linux kernel natively supports C/C++ and java; but you are able to work with other languages via SDKs and frameworks such as Qt which supports a ton of languages..

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

8 minutes ago, martward said:

Well if you write it yourself, every project would take years. There are a lot of packages (at least for python) that are build on C++ and which are very optimized. This makes it much easier and therefor faster. 

Although if we are going that route, and I hate to admit it (bc i sorta hate java), java has one of the best compilers when it comes to optimization. Java's JIT compiler is so good it is the only language to come close to C++ in terms of speed. And now there is Scala which is basically python for java lovers. It can be either statically or dynamically typed, it is a high-level language, it is clean and pretty and it is compiled with Java's JIT. Python has yet to match it in terms of speed.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

The addition to this from my programming course. Accreditation... "I don't care where the code you submit comes from. If someone else has done a bit of brilliant pretty code that you want to use, then use it. just make sure that the person gets credit in your notes." That is a direct quote from willy at wollongong university.

Use every bit of code that works.

4 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

So as the title says, who does coding/programming as a hobby

I do.

4 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

and what do you create with it?

A better question to ask would be: What don't I create with it?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Honestly I hope this whole open source .NET thing works out...maybe we can get rid of Java...

The only things I really like about it over C# is platform independence, foreach syntax (I prefer ':' instead of "in"), and to an extend like having to explicitly declare thrown exceptions.  It's always nice to have an explicit reminder of what can go wrong.  Even if it does get a bit annoying at times it almost makes it like an in-band return value as opposed to guesswork 15000 methods before the actual throw.

Just about everything else C# does better, hands down.  If only it can get past that M$ stigma...but you do get Xamarin for cross-platform mobile development...so there's that.

3 hours ago, martward said:

And yeah, alot of scientists use Python because it's quick and easy.  See also: PyCUDA,  NumPy, and matplotlib.

I typically use python as a general scripting language over bat, ps, and bash.  However, I have used it for a few more involved projects.

I'm a software developer by trade, so coding is one of those things I kind only sort of do at home. But I have done a few things at home, namely:

Stuff in C#

• Wrote a program that solves Tic Tac Toe. i.e., you can't beat it. You can at best have a tie with it.
  • Wrote a Klondike solitaire program.
  • I had a Zune HD program that was a simple stopwatch. But then Microsoft nixed Zune HD application support.

Stuff in C

• Got started on a dev kit to do a thing where you can sync music to lights. It was rudimentary though. Might want a crack at it again to use a audio signal rather than commands if I'm willing to relearn Fourier transformations.

Stuff in Javascript

• Wrote a userscript for another site I go to. It adds a bunch of features and fixes client side issues.
  • Working on a website.

7 hours ago, martward said:

Not just python pretty much every language has packages/libaries that you can use. Now you should always understand how it works before using it.

Though I have this discussion before in regards to build it yourself vs use a framework for websites. In case we were talking about Laravel (php framework). We all agreed that it makes bigger sites faster but was it worth using such a big framework for a small simple website. I argued it wasn't wasting all the space for a framework you don't use much off.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I'm a hobby programmer, who happens to do some programming for a job as well.  My life is great.

Three points I'd like to raise:

1) Learn to program, don't learn a language.

That sounds wrong, I know, but the core mechanics of programming are mostly the same (so long as you're not switching between procedural and functional languages).

If you know the rough syntax of C like languages, you'll stand a great shot of getting your mind around C, C++, Java, C#, ObjectiveC and javascript. Don't get me wrong, these languages aren't inter-compatible except in the smallest of ways and their are subtleties there that will trip you up if you think you know more than you do.  BUT, once you know how to break a problem down into steps and sub procedures, how to handle state (or not) and interact with some other libraries to do things like create user interfaces (usually graphical these days, but you can still code them manually, and certainly you'll be manipulating them in code).

2) Get used to throwing your code away and starting again once you think you're finished.

Technically it's called refactoring, but unless you embrace this, your code style will take a lot longer to mature.  Essentially the idea is that once you've struggled through coding your problem once and made it work, you actually understand the problem so much better than when you originally started.  So, starting again from scratch you'll very often find your new solution is more elegant and uses less temporary variables as your logic flow is better.

3) Occasionally re-invent the wheel

While it can speed things up considerably to use a prebuilt library, sometimes you need to stretch yourself and not assume someone else has done the best implementation already.

Usually you only want a fraction of the functionality of any given library and the process of writing your own code base gives you an early insight into bigger projects.  For example, don't use jQuery if all you want to do is animate a div opening up.  That adds a huge download and compile overhead to a project that may not need it.  In the process of learning to do things like that yourself, you'll learn a lot about javascript, DOM manipulation and asynchronous code.  You'll be a better programmer at the end of it.

And yes, I mean occasionally, not always.  No one has that amount of time.

Most of all, pick early projects that just enthral or make you laugh.  You have to thoroughly enjoy the early work in order to find the strength to get past the inevitable difficult bits.

Good luck!

On 12/15/2016 at 3:02 AM, Sierra Fox said:

So i haven't been on this forum for very long, but its become very apparent that a lot of people use their laptops/computers for coding. Having very little experience myself apart from a class i took in high school it's something that i may learn someday, but i don't even know what i would do with the knowledge, i'm not into making websites, i don't plan on making it a business therefore no clients.

So as the title says, who does coding/programming as a hobby, and what do you create with it?

The great thing about coding is that you don't have to be into it just because you want to create stuff, you could also just do it for the problem solving aspect or as a way to keep your complex problem solving skills sharp.

I personally enjoy creating things which utilize complex processes to achieve a visible result. Hence Why I am currently writing a software-level graphics renderer under JavaScript. No APIs like DirectX, or OpenGL, just JavaScript directly changing pixels on a canvas.

stage.png

I've also written cipher generators, and interactive GUI environments from scratch.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

On 12/15/2016 at 1:18 PM, saitir said:

I'm a hobby programmer, who happens to do some programming for a job as well.  My life is great.

Three points I'd like to raise:

1) Learn to program, don't learn a language.

That sounds wrong, I know, but the core mechanics of programming are mostly the same (so long as you're not switching between procedural and functional languages).

If you know the rough syntax of C like languages, you'll stand a great shot of getting your mind around C, C++, Java, C#, ObjectiveC and javascript. Don't get me wrong, these languages aren't inter-compatible except in the smallest of ways and their are subtleties there that will trip you up if you think you know more than you do.  BUT, once you know how to break a problem down into steps and sub procedures, how to handle state (or not) and interact with some other libraries to do things like create user interfaces (usually graphical these days, but you can still code them manually, and certainly you'll be manipulating them in code).

2) Get used to throwing your code away and starting again once you think you're finished.

Technically it's called refactoring, but unless you embrace this, your code style will take a lot longer to mature.  Essentially the idea is that once you've struggled through coding your problem once and made it work, you actually understand the problem so much better than when you originally started.  So, starting again from scratch you'll very often find your new solution is more elegant and uses less temporary variables as your logic flow is better.

3) Occasionally re-invent the wheel

While it can speed things up considerably to use a prebuilt library, sometimes you need to stretch yourself and not assume someone else has done the best implementation already.

Usually you only want a fraction of the functionality of any given library and the process of writing your own code base gives you an early insight into bigger projects.  For example, don't use jQuery if all you want to do is animate a div opening up.  That adds a huge download and compile overhead to a project that may not need it.  In the process of learning to do things like that yourself, you'll learn a lot about javascript, DOM manipulation and asynchronous code.  You'll be a better programmer at the end of it.

And yes, I mean occasionally, not always.  No one has that amount of time.

Most of all, pick early projects that just enthral or make you laugh.  You have to thoroughly enjoy the early work in order to find the strength to get past the inevitable difficult bits.

Good luck!

Speaking of refactoring, I've found Scratch to be a great way to solve coding problems when you don't have access to an IDE, let alone a text editor (i.e.school computers)

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:13 PM, UnbrokenMotion said:

Speaking of refactoring, I've found Scratch to be a great way to solve coding problems when you don't have access to an IDE, let alone a text editor (i.e.school computers)

every version of windows has notepad.

On 12/17/2016 at 2:33 PM, vorticalbox said:

every version of windows has notepad.

Yes, but not every School computer allows you to run anything you want willy-nilly.

1 minute ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

Yes, but not every School computer allows you to run anything you want willy-nilly.

Why would institute feel the need to block a text editor that came with windows?

On 12/19/2016 at 8:49 AM, vorticalbox said:

Why would institute feel the need to block a text editor that came with windows?

I'm in high school. And they didn't at first, but people abused the privilege and as a result they've been progressively locking down the student Chromebooks down more and more every year.

9 hours ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

I'm in high school. And they didn't at first, but people abused the privilege and as a result they've been progressively locking down the student Chromebooks down more and more every year.

How does one abuse notepad privileges? This, I'm interested in.

15 hours ago, tlhan said:

How does one abuse notepad privileges? This, I'm interested in.

That's not it, Chromebooks don't have notepad or notepad-like apps. You instead have to use online-IDEs

On 12/15/2016 at 4:01 AM, martward said:

Nope, you need Java and a little knowledge about XML for Android.

I believe C++ for iOS but I'm not sure.

Objective C or Swift for native iOS apps if you don't want to do something like Xamarin or PhoneGap.

If you're just starting out and want to do native iOS apps I'd suggest Swift personally.

To reply to the original question and the title, I do programming as a job, but also as a hobby. On the hobby side of things I have created many projects, but almost always with the purpose of making something better, automating something or just for making something that is cool looking. I learned the languages as follows: Pascal -> Delphi -> C, assembly -> Java, C# -> anything web related, but now I mostly use C on the embedded side of things and C# on the PC side of things :)

On 12/15/2016 at 1:09 AM, DaBeggad said:

im trying to learn java :) pls dont hate

depends on what you wanna do with it, but I would suggest to start with a scripting language, such as python, to quickly grasp the gist of it, then probably other languages like java, but definitely not c++ unless required by what you wanna do.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 5:02 PM, Sierra Fox said:

So i haven't been on this forum for very long, but its become very apparent that a lot of people use their laptops/computers for coding. Having very little experience myself apart from a class i took in high school it's something that i may learn someday, but i don't even know what i would do with the knowledge, i'm not into making websites, i don't plan on making it a business therefore no clients.

So as the title says, who does coding/programming as a hobby, and what do you create with it?

I do programming as a hobby. It's fun. I'd definitely like to pursue it in Uni.

I use my programming knowledge to make cool or fun applications. I've tried to make small games but they haven't gone well.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),