[removed]

Arika

Nowadays, the inital outlay, and training to get into it is a bit much, but yes, some people still do it as a hobby. When I was a kid there was this one guy that did it, if you want to see where it can carry you, do a google search for brett porter.

Just now, DaBeggad said:

im trying to learn java :) pls dont hate

It's a good standard to learn. The only disadvantage I can think of is it teaches you bad habits you have to break later. Learning C++ is my recommendation to start as it teaches you proper syntax that you'll need later. Java is probably the most used programming language in existence, (not on PC's. It gets used on just about everything else)

2 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

It's a good standard to learn. The only disadvantage I can think of is it teaches you bad habits you have to break later. Learning C++ is my recommendation to start as it teaches you proper syntax that you'll need later. Java is probably the most used programming language in existence, (not on PC's. It gets used on just about everything else)

i want to make an app so waddup... we learn it in school but because of said project im investigating myself

Just now, DaBeggad said:

i want to make an app so waddup... we learn it in school but because of said project im investigating myself

The reason it's good to learn is because it's platform agnostic. Java works on everything, and while it might not be optimised, it's programs usually have such low overheads that it doesn't matter.

BTW, I'm old school enough that most of my coding is done in notepad. You run it through a compiler to check your syntax. But the way I learnt it was more like a second language. Considering at the time I was learning latin and greek it wasn't that much more to learn a different syntax based on a language I actually knew.

3 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

BTW, I'm old school enough that most of my coding is done in notepad. You run it through a compiler to check your syntax. But the way I learnt it was more like a second language. Considering at the time I was learning latin and greek it wasn't that much more to learn a different syntax based on a language I actually knew.

any tips for me senpai xD 

Mate, I'm old, not a teacher. I recommend c++ because java doesn't teach syntax properly, and C++ is still worth learning. I just burn food for a living.

Honestly high school level computing is absolutely fricking worthless. most of the students know more than their teachers. Check out some college level C++ textbooks, and set yourself some challenges. Once you've got the basics figured out, pick a language you'd like to learn and set yourself projects. The whole idea is that when you get to university you already know most of what the course will teach you.

For computer sciences university should be about getting you a piece of paper and refining your style, not about teaching you something new.

12 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

BTW, I'm old school enough that most of my coding is done in notepad.

I'm old skool too, but I do like my intellisense tbh. You must have an elephants memory and like too type too much :)

1 minute ago, slightlyjaded said:

Mate, I'm old, not a teacher. I recommend c++ because java doesn't teach syntax properly, and C++ is still worth learning. I just burn food for a living.

Honestly high school level computing is absolutely fricking worthless. most of the students know more than their teachers. Check out some college level C++ textbooks, and set yourself some challenges. Once you've got the basics figured out, pick a language you'd like to learn and set yourself projects. The whole idea is that when you get to university you already know most of what the course will teach you.

For computer sciences university should be about getting you a piece of paper and refining your style, not about teaching you something new.

Wouldn't it be much better to start off with Python, then Java then C++? C++ is pretty hard and usually people start off with more basic programming languages to learn how programming in general works, which makes it easier to learn a new language.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Just now, martward said:

Wouldn't it be much better to start off with Python, then Java then C++? C++ is pretty hard and usually people start off with more basic programming languages to learn how programming in general works, which makes it easier to learn a new language.

I initially learnt with dos, and basic myself.

The reason I recommend C++ is the fact that I not only learnt syntax, I learnt to structure my code visually so that debugging was easier. I learnt how to structure it so that beginning and end arguements were lined up so I could spot a missed semi colon.

My opinion of programming is that debugging is the most important step, and if you can make that easier, then you're halfway to becoming a good programmer instead of working at ubisoft.

27 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

The reason it's good to learn is because it's platform agnostic. Java works on everything, and while it might not be optimised, it's programs usually have such low overheads that it doesn't matter.

Another way to think about it is that it only runs on the JVM,

Spoiler

which in turn runs on everything :P

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

1 minute ago, slightlyjaded said:

I initially learnt with dos, and basic myself.

The reason I recommend C++ is the fact that I not only learnt syntax, I learnt to structure my code visually so that debugging was easier. I learnt how to structure it so that beginning and end arguements were lined up so I could spot a missed semi colon.

My opinion of programming is that debugging is the most important step, and if you can make that easier, then you're halfway to becoming a good programmer instead of working at ubisoft.

Well I guess it's personal, and maybe I'm biased because I used C++ maybe twice while I use Python pretty much every day. However, learning to visually structure your code is very important in Python, since it will actually not run if you don't have your alignment correct.

And don't tease those poor guys over at Ubisoft, everyone has their talents and I'm sure they will find theirs someday ^^.

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Just now, martward said:

Well I guess it's personal, and maybe I'm biased because I used C++ maybe twice while I use Python pretty much every day. However, learning to visually structure your code is very important in Python, since it will actually not run if you don't have your alignment correct.

And don't tease those poor guys over at Ubisoft, everyone has their talents and I'm sure they will find theirs someday ^^.

I love those guys. They do lovely games with far reaching goals that just look and feel gorgeous. If they learnt to debug their crap I'd have their lovechild in an instant.

btw, I'm old enough that python wasn't a thing when I learnt programming. As I don't use programming for more than pif files nowadays I didn't really go back.

4 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

btw, I'm old enough that python wasn't a thing when I learnt programming. As I don't use programming for more than pif files nowadays I didn't really go back.

Ah yes, I do scientific programming (Artificial Intelligence stuff), you really don't want to use C++ for that :P

My System:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DaBeggad said:

can you create an app for lets say android with every programming language?

Nope, you need Java and a little knowledge about XML for Android.

I believe C++ for iOS but I'm not sure.

My System:

Spoiler

What He said...

From What I understand knowledge of C++ makes your code more concise, but my understanding is based on my flatmate doing his masters on java code back in about 97/98.

6 minutes ago, martward said:

Nope, you need Java and a little knowledge about XML for Android.

I believe C++ for iOS but I'm not sure.

then im good with java but i will learn c++ after that i think :) 

13 minutes ago, martward said:

Ah yes, I do scientific programming (Artificial Intelligence stuff), you really don't want to use C++ for that :P

And why not? C++ is about creating abstractions and then building upon those abstractions.

Any facilities and abstractions your current environment offers premade for you to build upon can be built in C++.

But you'd have to build them yourself ofc, i find that a pro rather then a con, as it gives me full control of the foundation to build on.

Well if you're programming as a hobby try to integrate it with other aspects of you life.. Program to solve everyday problems that could benefit from an automatic solution or to help you learn other school subjects (i.e. solve physics problems through your own algorithms, chem, trig, calc, etc...)

You may want to investigate a little as to which language you may want to work with.

Also online there are great in-depth courses to learn all types of stuff and many many are free.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

1 minute ago, VicBar said:

Well if you're programming as a hobby try to integrate it with other aspects of you life.. Program to solve everyday problems that could benefit from an automatic solution or to help you learn other school subjects (i.e. solve physics problems through your own algorithms, chem, trig, calc, etc...)

You may want to investigate a little as to which language you may want to work with.

Also online there are great in-depth courses to learn all types of stuff and many many are free.

Actually that's a great idea. uni level science you learn hundreds of equations that you "need" to know for tests. In reality there's really only a couple of dozen and if you understand the math, and understand the science behind them you can modify the formula's for what you actually need.