Minors playing M rated games. How do you feel?

Axeonelite
6 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

First whoever sold you that game at 14 that is a fireable offense, like selling alcohol to a minor.

There is more then just violence in GTA  V, it also has the whole strip clubs with boobs everywhere.

Basically the same as handing your kid playboys which is just wrong.

@Axeonelite you will get very biased info from this particular forum because over half of the users are most likely under 18, the average age of the userbase is probabbly about 14-16 years old.

I bought it off steam.

As you say, there is more than just violence. But look at films. There is more than just violence in R and even PG-13 rated films, but no one gets triggered over films.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Oh another note, I was much more influenced to do what I did based on TV and not in video games. TV is the reason I have a scar on the top of my head. Little 6 y/o me though I could do parkour like the people on TV. It's also gotten me to try and flip off the trampoline I had or do some downright stupid shit. Video Games I had the basic understand that I did what I wanted on their because I had the power.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

because a game isn't the same thing as alcohol? It's effects aren't nearly as directly prominent or damaging as alcohol?

That wasn't the point and actually, it is. The frontal lobe of the brain, where reasoning, emotion, and logical responses come, aren't fully developed until early 20's and mid-20's for females and males.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

TBH, I wouldn't mind if parents let their kids play this type of stuff, But ony IF they had separate servers to play on... I don't really care if little Alan gets traumatised by some video game or whatever, it's up to the parent to parent their child and actually supervise and know what things their kids are getting up to. And wiithout bringing lawsuits, and getting upset that they didn't know that it was wrong of them to but that 18+ game for a 12 year old. I just don't want to be part of it, hence the separate servers... I get so fed up with all the childish behaviour and banter that some kids display. I'm not going to tar all you young persons with the same brush though, some of you are mature enough to play games properly and have a good time without annoying the rest of the people that play games to relax and get away from that type of shit. But, unfortunately the childish kids spoil it for everyone most times.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

12 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'm from Brazil and age restrictions to anything but alcohol and cigarettes really isn't enforced at all, I have played games and watched movies that were for higher age from mine all through my childhood, even at the cinema, game shops also don't bother you about age restrictions in fact I was rather surprised when I lived in the United Kingdom for a year at the age of sixteen and I went to GameStop buy Devil May Cry 4 and I was asked for my passport to prove I was 16 years old to buy it since I had never went through such thing haha.

I personally feel it depends on the the kind of education the family gives you, my dad always made me read a ton of books that were for adults, from Dostoievski to Goethe, so I always were quite educated for my age and I completely knew how to distinguish reality from fantasy even when I was 10ish years old playing Resident Evil 2 for the first time on the PSX.

I don't feel that ever made any negative impact in my life but like I said I had very present parents in my life who taught me better, now I am 22 years old and I can buy anything I want so it hardly matters... but I don't think I'll be too strict to a future children of mine about this kind of thing.

Knowledge is power. If a informed and thought out decision is made it will rarely have consequences. Thank you for the international insight. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

10 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

@Axeonelite you will get very biased info from this particular forum because over half of the users are most likely under 18, the average age of the userbase is probabbly about 14-16 years old.

I am aware. But it's easy to see through those. 

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

I mean, no? 

Different Topic entirely. 

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

As far as the rating goes, it's good enough I would say, though, GameStop should require their employees to explain the game as part of their sales. Hell, I'm 25 and I still have my ID checked when I walk into a bar. Why should a little kid get an M-rated game without having HIS license checked? Besides the fact that he doesn't have one.

I really like this point. Again I think it goes back to Video Games not having the big face that the Adult Media, Tobacco, and Alcohol industries have. 

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

iv always played what i wanted to play, watched what iv wanted to watch and listened to what i want to listen to...............

Ahem... Please fix the grammar in this post. It was so hard to read, I am concerned how you got on this forum without a parents permission. 

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

There comes a time when a parent just doesn't give a damn anymore about whatever their kids want or do.

The ratings are just "guidelines", they are meant to help parents know if they want their kids exposed to certain content that they themselves might find objectionable.

So really, it's just a matter of if you care or not. It will not make the kids any worst off if they watch or play mature rated content.

The first line slightly sad. Rest of the comment, well put. 

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

tru

because a game isn't the same thing as alcohol? It's effects aren't nearly as directly prominent or damaging as alcohol?

Haha true. I don't think playing a video game can make you have intercourse with\kill\marry someone and not remember it. 

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

TBH, I wouldn't mind if parents let their kids play this type of stuff, But ony IF they had separate servers to play on... But, unfortunately the childish kids spoil it for everyone most times.

I agree 100%. I feel like this problem has ruined the online experience in a lot of games for me personally. 

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

and if they want GTA for the amazing open-world gameplay or for the ability to murder people and check out strippers...

I go for it for a bit of both ;) 

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

but the effect on development isn't as direct as becoming an alcoholic at 14. And alcohol impairs your judgment more than playing GTA would.

If the reasoning from the child's perspective isn't complete, it could lead to damage in Broca's and Wernicke's areas that communicate together to form and comprehend complex speech. If one becomes impaired, the whole system is going to show some signs of dysfunction.

Granted, I'm not saying ban the kids from the subject matter. Hell, I had no issue with the torture scene that some here talked about. I understood and saw the whole picture of the characters involved and could make the assertion that only Trevor was willing to continue without remorse. A child may not have that concept even in the teens unless his/her parents can sit down and discuss why.

Go on CoD or BF. Tons of little kids playing the game "I banged your mom this morning" rampant in the chat. You don't find that with some of the older crowds since we're conditioned to know the difference, in the norm at least, between healthy and unhealthy competition.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

8 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

if the logic is sound, then not necessarily. But those idiots who go "HEY MY FRIENDS ARE PLAYING IT YOU FUCKING N00B NO CHILL NO BALLS WHAT ARE YOU GAY IT'S JUST A GAME BRUH"

those are a tad conspicuous

True enough. 

Spoiler

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

@ARikozuM but try telling parents how to parent their children and you'll see just how little the difference between a child and an adult can be. Otherwise, I agree. 

I fricking love how weirdly neurologists name everything

Broca and Wernicke were the guys who discovered the area and function.

Fun fact: there are FIVE lobes to the brain. Frontal, Occipital, Temporal, Parietal, and Insula.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

As a minor, I think that games like Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. are fine for any average maturity level 11-12+ year old. Games like GTA I'd say maybe 14-15, again depends on the maturity level of the child. Also depends on personality of the kid, and if they want GTA for the amazing open-world gameplay or for the ability to murder people and check out strippers...

I guess that's my opinion to persons under the recommended ages for a particular media, because the idea that everyone is the same or rather the adage that all people under 17 are completely immature and aren't able to decipher reality from fiction or have the maturity needed for those games. Because to be frank, there's people who are well past 17 that are far less mature than someone under 17. So I think that's where I at least stand.

I've played GTA V since it came out in 2013, I was 13 then. Though I knew I was mature enough then and so did my mom. 

Further, I think it's sort of ridiculous that many see ratings as like something set in stone and that only those ages can consume that content, when ratings are merely guidelines as to what a private entity decides is appropriate for certain ages. I guess it's sort of a similar story for the MPAA.

One way or another, I think there are boundaries. A 5 or 6 year old shouldn't be playing GTA V or Call of Duty or Battlefield. However, an 11 year old or like a 13 year old playing those titles? Well I guess it depends on the individual. Though I think by 13, most people are pretty mature, though there are a few cases where I'm sure that's not always the case. 

I'm almost 17 (1 month and 10 days) so soon enough I can buy M rated games on my own or truthfully if buying from like Steam. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Granted, I'm not saying ban the kids from the subject matter. Hell, I had no issue with the torture scene that some here talked about. I understood and saw the whole picture of the characters involved and could make the assertion that only Trevor was willing to continue without remorse. A child may not have that concept even in the teens unless his/her parents can sit down and discuss why.

That would be me who mentioned the torture scene. Haha but regardless. You're right though, Children might not be able to reason it out. 

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

I bought it off steam.

As you say, there is more than just violence. But look at films. There is more than just violence in R and even PG-13 rated films, but no one gets triggered over films.

Again goes back to Television and Movies being more accepting then gaming. Video Games is a good outlet for media publicity. Makes the News ratings looks good. 

Spoiler

true. It's a flawed metric, but I mean what else we got? If there's even a moderately strong correlation between maturity and age, then statistical variation be damned, 

think for the children

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

true. It's a flawed metric, but I mean what else we got? If there's even a moderately strong correlation between maturity and age, then statistical variation be damned, 

think of the children

I like the first sentence... then you had to go and use comic sans. 

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Nice! You totally fixed that.

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Though I think by 13, most people are pretty mature, though there are a few cases where I'm sure that's not always the case. 

I will disagree with you till the end of time itself on this point. "Most" people are NOT mature until their 20's. I have known enough to realize that. You can easily see that based on the number of children getting thrown into prison (juvy) these days. 

Children are, because of the internet and social networking, being exposed to more false information and faux stimulant that they don't know how to make proper decisions for themselves, or even have the slightest idea of how to act like an adult. 

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Axeonelite said:

Again goes back to Television and Movies being more accepting then gaming. Video Games is a good outlet for media publicity. Makes the News ratings looks good. 

Like how many news outlets will eagerly blame video games for the latest shooting tragedy?

Like it's so dumb how people can easily believe that it's video games that cause people to go crazy. They were already crazy, the video game had absolutely nothing to do with their actions. They most likely knew that what they did was wrong or knew that video games had nothing to do with their actions but might use video games as a scapegoat for the media so they can ignore the real issue of mental health care not being seen as something important.

Religion and mental instability are far more scary than video games.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization