Minors playing M rated games. How do you feel?

Axeonelite
2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I see you dont have experience with online threads. I also see that you cant understand where my usage of idiot came from. But thats a separate issue

Again trying to prove a point no one challenged, and insulting others through passive aggressive comments. A sign of immaturity and another example to add to the side of not  letting children play M rated games. I retract my previous compliment.

P.S Please use some proper punctuation in words such as, That's, and Don't. It would help get your "I'm mature" case. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

6 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Id classify myself as mature. Most people assume Ive graduated university until they see what I look like.

Being "mature" is a lot different then being smart. 

You can be extremely smart, but very immature.

Maturity isn't just not goofing off and joking around, and knowing stuff from books, but knowing how to deal with life in general, things like getting a job, mainting relationships with people, dealing with things like death, and marriage, having kids, and managing money, and bills.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, Axeonelite said:

Again trying to prove a point no one challenged, and insulting others through passive aggressive comments. A sign of immaturity and another example to add to the side of not  letting children play M rated games. I retract my previous compliment.

P.S Please use some proper punctuation in words such as, That's, and Don't. It would help get your "I'm mature" case. 

Well then, I guess I'll have to talk like I'm writing an Essay. I also never saw a comment. I also don't see how me not including ' make me immature? I also did that to express how you made a stupid comment.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Maturity isn't just not goofing off and joking around, and knowing stuff from books, but knowing how to deal with life in general, things like getting a job, mainting relationships with people, dealing with things like death, and marriage, having kids, and managing money, and bills.

I agree. Intelligence and maturity is a blurred line today. As was mentioned people thing if you go to college you are mature, which is far from the truth. 

Spoiler

Just now, SLAYR said:

Let's see here. I have a job, have saved all of my money except on major purchases I saved for years on, I've been best friends with certain people for years until they betray me, and have never been in a relationship as I've never met anyone who didn't date 3 people a month that I actually cared deeply about.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

*cough cough ad hominem cough cough*

I disapprove of bad grammar. Heil Grammar!!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

10 minutes ago, Axeonelite said:

My first thought was to ignore you post because of your imediate declaration of age, but I pressed on. It takes guts for you to bring your opinions in here with guys like us bashing children, so kudos to you. 

I would say though that for you in those circumstances it's more of an outlet. And that's ok, we all need outlets.

But at some point in your life you will realize there is more to video games, and I think that's when someone is considered mature enough to play whatever they want. When they can distinquish the line between real stimulation, and fake stimulation. 

Games are meant to be a subsidiary benifit of life, not a lifestyle itself. They cannot and will never be able to replace life, yet sadly kids playing violent games, use them as a replacement for the (relatively) "Weak" people they are, when they get bullied in school, talked down to, or even beaten by their parents, into someone who can fight back and stand up for themselves.

That's one thing I have to agree, I don't remember if I ever really thought that video games were what made life whole. They were quite the enhancer or an escape. 

I was bullied when I was in elementary, that's something many people were. I learned to not let the words get to me or rather not take it seriously. 

Idk I just play video games now because they look like they might be a little fun or look cool, I don't exactly know the reason why I played video games before, similar reasons I guess. 

Certainly having a job gives you some insight into what you might call the "real world".

That phrase makes me sort of cringe, I don't like it. The reason I don't really like it, is because the implication it carries.

Going to school full time and working part time can be quite a challenge. Going to school full time, work part time and sports, I imagine would be even more challenging. Fortunately I find sports dumb and sort of a waste of time and resources.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

*cough cough ad hominem cough cough*

*shhhh* Don't worry about it brother. 

Spoiler

It depends on the game. While for games my parents didn't pay too much attention, then again the original GTA was the worst thing when I was a kid that I played. Whenever I have kids I will be paying more attention to them because I see parents buying games like BF1, CoD, GTA5 for kids under 10 and that I won't do at all.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Just now, Psybadek said:

It depends on the game. While for games my parents didn't pay too much attention, then again the original GTA was the worst thing when I was a kid that I played. Whenever I have kids I will be paying more attention to them because I see parents buying games like BF1, CoD, GTA5 for kids under 10 and that I won't do at all.

Nice. Just make sure to actually keep that promise when the time comes. 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Axeonelite said:

Nice. Just make sure to actually keep that promise when the time comes. 

Didn't used to always think that way, once they hit that high school age then things will change but when they're still in elementary school there's no need for it. Hell I fully intend for video games to be like when I was a kid. I want mine to go outside and play like I did, have fun, get rough and do it again. Too many kids these days spend WAY too much time in front of a TV or PC.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Voila:

*Cough cough* "Ad hominem" *cough cough*.

*Slow clap* Well played. 

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Psybadek said:

Didn't used to always think that way, once they hit that high school age then things will change but when they're still in elementary school there's no need for it. Hell I fully intend for video games to be like when I was a kid. I want mine to go outside and play like I did, have fun, get rough and do it again. Too many kids these days spend WAY too much time in front of a TV or PC.

Agree. It's how I was raised (In front of a TV) and I can see looking back on it that was a very bad thing for me in the long run. I regret not doing more outside when I was younger, but I appreciate it more now and hiking, and other outdoor activities are some of my favorite hobbies. 

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I want to sort of defend you but idk.

I don't know exactly how, I suppose my best advice would be to maybe concede.

I'm not 13 anymore and don't spend time with 13 year olds like I did when I was 13. So like idk.

5 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Going to school full time and working part time can be quite a challenge. Going to school full time, work part time and sports, I imagine would be even more challenging. Fortunately I find sports dumb and sort of a waste of time and resources.

Went to college and a job full-time. Never had an issue. Bought my own house 4 years ago and paid off my education 1 year ago. Maturity is how you handle what life throws at you. It also helps that my father (who was irresponsible) left and my mother (who was supportive yet strict) made me learn early on that it's the fortitude that you exhibit when things get rough that matures you.

4 minutes ago, Psybadek said:

Agreed. I'll let my kids play video games for a few hours with variety rather than just shooters. Perhaps get them into Age of Empires 2 and Pokemon like I was at the age of 6.

6 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Voila:

*Cough cough* "Ad hominem" *cough cough*.

Don't red herring my argument. xD

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

2 minutes ago, Axeonelite said:

Agree. It's how I was raised (In front of a TV) and I can see looking back on it that was a very bad thing for me in the long run. I regret not doing more outside when I was younger, but I appreciate it more now and hiking, and other outdoor activities are some of my favorite hobbies. 

I'm very much an indoors person, I prefer being inside. I mean I guess I don't like it as much as I used to. 

Going places to do/see things like roadtrips are nice.

Just now, wcreek said:

I'm very much an indoors person, I prefer being inside. I mean I guess I don't like it as much as I used to. 

Going places to do/see things like roadtrips are nice.

It's a nice change of pace.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Went to college and a job full-time. Never had an issue. Bought my own house 4 years ago and paid off my education 1 year ago. Maturity is how you handle what life throws at you. It also helps that my father (who was irresponsible) left and my mother (who was supportive yet strict) made me learn early on that it's the fortitude that you exhibit when things get rough that matures you.

Agreed.

1 minute ago, Cosmopath said:

I believe teenagers are more mature than some people here are giving them credit for. At the end of the day, most will not get offended or scarred by the game's material. As such, most will not have their day-to-day attitude influenced by a video game with dark subject matter: take violence, for example, as that's likely the most controversial matter.

Sure, there are some teenagers who have obvious psychological issues. That's inevitable. But to single out such a small minority from those that can easily handle games such as Call of Duty is an unfair argument. Growing up as a child, most of my friends were gamers, like me. They played violent video games. They turned out fine. I'm sure millions of others can attest to that experience.

The negative cases you hear about (which are not extensive at all) are purely anecdotal evidence. It's not a common problem. Unfortunately, the media has spread it like a disease and over-exaggerated everything greatly. It's a debate that shouldn't happen.

The ESRB's current rating system is flawed. There are too many categories of ratings, because the ESRB is overprotective. There should be three categories: all ages, above 13, and above 18. Violence and coarse language is not enough to restrict the games to adults. Graphic sexual content, maybe.

Correct good sir! I agree with the ESRB being a flawed system. A good portion of "M" ESRB rated games nowadays are PEGI 12 or 16

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Good parenting = 

Although the new stuff is a little too fluffy

Your mother is too fluffy There's no such thing as too fluffy after Gen 2 and Mareep or Gen 3 and Altaria.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Axeonelite said:

It’s that time again. Time for a trip to your local store, whether it be the Best Buy, EB Games, Gamestop, Or even Walmart. Once you get there you see  A child asking their parent to buy them some M rated video game. You’re infuriated.

Nope, I'm not :P (next one is serious, though)

But let me be very clear that gaming today is not the innocent happy-go-lucky experiences they used to be. Today, games are filled with realism in many forms, Violence, Sexual interactions, and drug & Alcohol usage.

And when exactly were those innocent happy-go-lucky days? Because violence in videogames hasn't changed much, only graphics' quality has. I mean, you can go back to the original Mortal Kombat with all the "fatalities", and even earlier '80s arcades and so on, just with the graphics of the time. Was the original Doom less "M" than the new one because of it's pixelated graphs? OK, those were fantasy monsters, but in the earlier Wolfenstein 3D you had to kill people left and right... Or should I be more worried about half-explicit sexual references than about deadly violence? And in that case, Leisure Suit Larry, anyone?

“Games like this aren’t made for children”

Oh, but they always were. Some were meant to be played in broad daylight, some were meant to be played like it's the playboy you stole from your uncle, but no rational game developer would expect any game to be played only by grownups (unless it's some XXX game or something like that, and even then, probably it's more likely to appeal teenagers than adults). Especially back in the day, when the grownup gamers of today were still children, and practically the only type of gamers, while most grownups were still trying to figure out what a computer was (the exception being those who had very serious business with computers).

But these things are not new things people are being exposed to. Humans have experienced this things for many generations. Even children are being exposed to this things at younger and younger ages. A lot of parents and adults worry that children will act out the things they do in games in real life. The same has been said thousands of times about movies and television as well.

And heavy metal, of course :P The truth is, no evidence has been found to support such a link. The opposing views "children do in real life as children do in games", and "children won't do in real life what they blow off in games" are still without supporting evidence. Until then, we can't claim any type of correlation.

Each person has the right to choose what type of content they will consume. And I stand by that statement myself. But as far as children go I also believe that if you are living in your parents home, you do have to abide by their rules.

Amen. I won't tell other parents what games to let their children play, as I wouldn't like them telling me how much they approve or disapprove what I let my children do.

There's a "fairy" type who's literally a walking ball of fur iirc

Swablu is literally able to float due to it's fluff.

And hey, some people like fuzzies

I do, too, but we're getting off topic.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

This thread was set to turn into an irrelevant argument from the start.

I am 14 myself, and my parents don't let me play M-rated games, or any games (rated by ESRB or not) that are recommended for people older than I am. I think it's pretty reasonable - between school and the various other activities I partake in, I've barely got time for a few LTT videos here and then. And I'm perfectly happy - I feel like the reason ESRB really rates these games is to get kids like myself to focus on their education and exploring their talents. After all, that's what childhood is all about. 

Really, it's up to the parents. I won't deny that their restrictions frustrate me at times, but I do know that it's for my own good. It also depends on how mature the child is - like many others on this thread have noted, age, intelligence, and maturity are entirely different things. 

42 minutes ago, Axeonelite said:

Looks to me like you're countering your own points here. There's a difference between intelligence and maturity, as you've noted. But then, how does usage of proper punctuation really prove one's maturity? And those were very, very, minor errors. Not trying to make an enemy here - I just thought you were a little harsh that time. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

8 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

This thread was set to turn into an irrelevant argument from the start.

It's been on track for the most part.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

half explicit? The Witcher 3 or GTA V literally have sex scenes in them.

Hollywood is full of sex scenes too, none "full explicit" (they would be rated XXX otherwise... but maybe you call "explicit" something else)... and so did Larry. Again, are we discussing graphics quality then?

In any case, I want to stress that my point was about two things: A) the "now vs then" comparison, B) the violence vs. sex comparison.  To me, the sex equivalent of a "fatality" wouldn't even be porn, it would have to be a very particular kind of porn. A Hollywood-style sex scene can only be equated to a guy pulling the head and spine of another with his bear hands only with a strong pro-violence/anti-sex bias.