Minors playing M rated games. How do you feel?

Axeonelite

If a parent is alright with letting their kid play a "Mature" videogame then who are we to judge.  It's not anything they won't see on tv, movies, read about or hear about on songs.  

IMO, it depends entirely on the individual child. Some can maturely understand and handle mature subject matter (of various degrees) at certain ages, while other can't. As parent's it's your job to know your child better than anyone else and know what they could handle or shouldn't be exposed to (yet). 

At friend's houses, you can't always control what your child will be exposed to, but you can talk to the friend's parents to find out what they're doing when hanging out at the friend's home. If those parents don't know and don't care, then that is part of the problem. I would also talk to my child about such things so they understand my concerns as a parent.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I don't really mind minors playing M-rated games. As child I got to watch almost every movie I wanted (only major restriction was The Shining from those I was interested in) and I got to play whatever games I wanted.SO, I ended up growing up while watching Terminators, Robocops, MacGyver and a lot of other action movies even before I could understand english and I played everything from Mario to Leisure suit Larry and ended up being stable and well behaving adult. I probably will let my kids, some day, do just the same (as long as I know the movies they want to watch and I see them suitable for them be they M-rated or not).

I think it's important to teach the kids what is real and what is not and it's far more easy to tell them that movies and games are not real and that no one gets hurt in them for real because they are movies and games with actors and bits than start telling them that violence is bad while news are rolling with images from latest terrorist attack or some ongoing war. This also works as a great donkey bridge to that, it's extremely important to teach kids healthy common sense and best way to teach it is to let the kids be kids and do some crazy stuff that kids do even if it has potential to cause some cuts and bruises, they heal and kids hopefully learned thing or two.

I also think that those who blame games nad movies for violence that people do are just plain stupid (and I'm somehow not supprised that most of those people live in USA where even adults are mentaly at the class of 5 years old because every single thing needs warnings that just are common sense (like "coffee is hot", "don't put a cat into microwave" or "don't try to stop the chain of a chainsaw with your genitals")). People who get violent because something that isn't real are even mentally disabled and/or just really really badly teached. Normal human can differentiate fact from fiction and real-life from made.

It's very difficult to give an all-encompassing answer to this.

- Actual content of the game plays a huge factor. M-Rated, but for what? Violence? Sex? Drugs?

- Maturity level of the player is also a factor, and can circumvent age.

- Finally, "minor" is too broad a term. A minor can be anywhere from 0-16, that's a big age range to give a blanket statement for.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

12 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Children are stupid

Well...someone clearly doesn't have children.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

Eh, I mean it annoys me whilst I'm trying to enjoy a game designed for adults online and end up running into kids. Can't really criticise them though or the parents, it was only ~15 years ago I was pestering my dad for his copy of gta2. Or playing my pals copy of the original manhunt whilst I was very much below 18.

Kids will get their hands on them either way, its been like that since the begining of age restricted media.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

I dunno. If it was a game like Manhunt I'd probably strike up a conversation and ask if they know what kind of game they're buying. And then explain rather graphically what the game is about (after which if they still want to buy it for their kid then at least I tried).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Depends on how "minor" is the minor. I'd be ok with my son playing violent games at the same age I started playing them which was 9 or 10 years old. Before that it was all NES and SNES games so I'd be fine. Perhaps even a bit younger and I would just talk to him about games and make belief.

-------

Current Rig

-------

in gamestop they give people a warning notifying you of the game so when things like that do happen you will lose the court case it is the parents decision 

On 12/4/2016 at 10:36 PM, Axeonelite said:

But let me be very clear that gaming today is not the innocent happy-go-lucky experiences they used to be. Today, games are filled with realism in many forms, Violence, Sexual interactions, and drug & Alcohol usage.

What do you guys think? 

Today games are like that? You're either very young or know little about video game history. 

The first GTA came out in 1997 - almost 20 years ago! 

bought the first Mortal Kombat myself, when I was 8 years old - know how I did that? It was before games ratings even existed! 

Your kidding yourself if you think games have suddenly become "full of child-warping nonsense" - they've always been that way, and people like Jack Thompson  and the PTA or whoever have been spinning this crap forever. 

------

More on topic - I would never judge a parent for buying their kids violent/etc games, it's not my place to do so. 

If if a kid understands the subject matter, shielding them from it won't help anything, they'll just find it in worse places. If the parents take the time to play/watch the kids play the game then they can understand what's going on with it. 

Their probably are some children for whom these games are not a good idea, but they'd have the same issue with any media - films, tv etc. 

i don't feel a thing.

if they wanna play it, let em.

i mean, when i grew up we climbed trees, cliffs and other places and fell down. Now they arent allowed to do that due to the fucking nanny policies running rampant. Neither can they have fights or say mean words.

Just don't let them have the microphone. They have to be no-mics. 

does it fucking matter?

kids will always bypass it, and theres no downsides for allowing them to be playing (excluding the community being toxic)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I'm more worried by what my Kids see on TV or on YouTube.

Im eldest son is 8 years old and we play GTA together and I have had to answer a few questions but he had seen most of what's in GTA on YouTube already. But it's a good conversation starter drugs have come up (Bong Smoking in GTA) and I think education is the key. He knows what's he wants to see and he doesn't. 

Did you see the first episode of The Walking dead this season when Deegan Smashed in heads with a baseball bat. 

That's the stuff that scares kids for life as its looks real. My boy is not going to watch that for a long time.

I have done a project in College related to this issue. While I will tell the Government to fuck off if they try to censor or other wise mess with the gaming industry. I do feel the Government forcing the industry in to regulating its ratings was a good move. Part of the issue today is most parents dont want to adult when it come to their kids. They stick them in front of the TV or PC and let me go wild. 

While I did play some violent video games back in the day. Most notable Duke Nukem 3D when I was in Elementary school. I turned out fine btw. I would not let my niece or nephew play these type of titles. Not until they are old enough. At most they get Mario and Sonic. I feel more parents need to be informed about the perfectly good rating system the industry uses. 

To be frank I am a little shocked about how some of these games have gotten really raunchy. I mean, when you first meet Trevor in GTA 5, hes banging a women from behind. I think its more critical than ever parents heed the warnings about content. Because graphics are only getting better. So I do find it a little disturbing, that under age people play some of these games. Plus these kids have a habit of just making the game play of those games shit as they tend to take these games a lot more seriously. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

18 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

ehhh too shit at english to care tbh. did it at like midnight and cant be bothered to go back and fix it lol

At Least you're honest. lol

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

9 hours ago, RooR said:

Letting a kid play a violent video game isn't a problem... not teaching your child between right and wrong is the problem.

If your kid cannot distinguish between right and wrong, its not because of GTA, or Gears of War.. its because either you failed as a parent or guardian.. or there are other underlying mental problems that have 0 to do with video games.

I argee. 

Spoiler

Just now, Axeonelite said:

I argee. 

Quick question. Is your profile picture L from Death Note?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

8 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

IMO, it depends entirely on the individual child. Some can maturely understand and handle mature subject matter (of various degrees) at certain ages, while other can't. As parent's it's your job to know your child better than anyone else and know what they could handle or shouldn't be exposed to (yet). 

At friend's houses, you can't always control what your child will be exposed to, but you can talk to the friend's parents to find out what they're doing when hanging out at the friend's home. If those parents don't know and don't care, then that is part of the problem. I would also talk to my child about such things so they understand my concerns as a parent.  

Very well put. It's the not caring that is the most upsetting part to me. Especially in my "fictional" story. 

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Peggie 

PEGI*

But other than that I agree. It helps sometimes for parents to not care, I just hate the ignorance that they don't even know what their children are playing. I don't care that they are playing it, I care about the secrecy. 

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Fetzie said:

I dunno. If it was a game like Manhunt I'd probably strike up a conversation and ask if they know what kind of game they're buying. And then explain rather graphically what the game is about (after which if they still want to buy it for their kid then at least I tried).

Great way of handling it. 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, redtute said:

Did you see the first episode of The Walking dead this season when Deegan Smashed in heads with a baseball bat. 

That's the stuff that scares kids for life as its looks real. My boy is not going to watch that for a long time.

I agree. Side not: Also I found it funny a women wrote a letter complaining about the cursing in that show rather than the violence. 

But yeah they can be exposed to these things in many other ways, but Video Games are more personal\private experience, so most of the time the parents do not know what the kids are playing. 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

To be frank I am a little shocked about how some of these games have gotten really raunchy. I mean, when you first meet Trevor in GTA 5, hes banging a women from behind. I think its more critical than ever parents heed the warnings about content. Because graphics are only getting better. So I do find it a little disturbing, that under age people play some of these games. Plus these kids have a habit of just making the game play of those games shit as they tend to take these games a lot more seriously. 

I agree. It is completely unnecessary most times. Granted it sets the tone for who Trevor is but if a child were to get into that game without knowing that, it could lead to a great family discussion around the dinner table come Thanksgiving\Christmas. 

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Quick question. Is your profile picture L from Death Note?

Indeed

Spoiler

Just now, Axeonelite said:

Indeed

Big fan of that. Binge-watched it over the summer - my first anime, and the only one I've ever made it through. 

I hated Near and whatever the fuck the other guy's name was.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler