[Rumor] ZEN to be "soldered"

Prysin

apparently, a Chinese overclocker delidded a ZEN sample and found it to be using Liquid metal TIM, or "soldered" TIM. This is just one indicator that overclocking will be supported.

Whether the chips will overclock well is anyones guess at this point. But if the IHS is "soldered", then atleast we will not see bullshit high temps like we did with original Haswell. It is a nice touch from AMDs side and goes to show that they might just care about delivering good products.

The overclocker Nam Dae Won has Delidded an AMD AM4 CPU, revealing that the CPU uses solder or liquid metal as its thermal interface material. 

Over the past few years deliding CPUs has been popular amongst overclockers, removing the IHS (integrated heat spreader) improve heat transfer between the CPU and your chosen cooling solution. This method has been particularly popular on Intel's LGA 115X series CPUs, which use thermal paste to connect their CPUs to the IHS instead of solder or other more thermally conductive materials. 

It looks like AMD's AM4 CPUs will be using a high-quality thermal interface material, which means that mainstream users will likely see no benefit from de-lidding their CPUs. 

29045918889l.jpg

29045918266l.jpg

SOLDERED OR NOT. THIS IS STILL NOT AN INDICATOR WETHER THE ZEN CPUs WILL OVERCLOCK WELL. IT SIMPLY MEANS THAT THE IHS AND TIM WILL NOT BE A ISSUE.

The downside to Liquid Metal, or "Solder" is that these forms of alloys or metals should not be heated beyond 60 degrees Celsius. As they will often become more corrosive the hotter they get.

Source: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/overclocker_delids_amd_am4_cpu/1

you know what time it is?

time to hate on AMD

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'd rather see benchmarks than a de-lidding, just sayin'.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

The 3rd picture looks really nasty. Disgusting in fact. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Well, at least you're not saying it'll be $1 and twice as fast as Skylake.

I do like the idea of a soldered TIM... Let's see if it turns up true.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

No one realizes that's a SandyBridge E5 Xeon delidded?

last time i checked. XEONs didnt have AMD stamped onto the IHS.... AMD CPUs often does.

Looks to be a Bristol Ridge APU rather than a Zen-based CPU...

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

11 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I'm not seeing it. Most of the SandyBridge Xeons I'm finding have different component layouts or different dimensions on the die, and it looks like that chip is sitting above the surface it's on (meaning it looks like it has pins).

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

14 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

If it looks like a xeon that's because of how big it is to fit those extra cores.

39 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Apart from the AMD logo in the IHS it does look like the CPU is a little bit lifted which would suggest there is something below the cpu.

Which would make sense because afaik AM4 will use a PGA socket so there would be pins on the cpu :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

14 hours ago, Prysin said:

last time i checked. XEONs didnt have AMD stamped onto the IHS.... AMD CPUs often does.

Photoshopped

14 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

I'm not seeing it. Most of the SandyBridge Xeons I'm finding have different component layouts or different dimensions on the die, and it looks like that chip is sitting above the surface it's on (meaning it looks like it has pins).

Are you out of your mind? E5 2840.

14 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Apart from the AMD logo in the IHS it does look like the CPU is a little bit lifted which would suggest there is something below the cpu.

Which would make sense because afaik AM4 will use a PGA socket so there would be pins on the cpu :P

Every Intel, AMD, and Nvidia silicon die sits on top of the package be it a CPU, GPU, APU, etc.. CPU dies are BGA on top of their package substrates.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Photoshopped you ditz.

Every Intel, AMD, and Nvidia silicon die sits on top of the package be it a CPU, GPU, APU, etc.. CPU dies are BGA on top of their package substrates.

E5 2840? Wut is that? I work in the server-grade part of IT industry and have never seen nor heard about a CPU like that.

Also, I have never seen an Intel CPU that looks like this after being delidded. Looks genuine to me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

6 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Photoshopped you ditz.

Do you have any proof that it's an E5 2840? What even is a 2840?

That still doesn't explain the air gap under neath the CPU. Although, it's hard to tell how elevated it actually is, and it could just be elevated from the LGA pads. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

E5 2840? Wut is that? I work in the server-grade part of IT industry and have never seen nor heard about a CPU like that.

Also, I have never seen an Intel CPU that looks like this after being delidded. Looks genuine to me.

Westmere, Nehalem, and Sandy Bridge Xeons often came in two dies. You're not nearly as well informed as you believe.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Proof that it's an E5 2840. What even is a 2840

That still doesn't explain the air gap under neath the CPU. Although, it's hard to tell how elevated it actually is, and it could just be elevated from the LGA pads. 

A standard 10-core Xeon from Sandy Bridge coming in a 2-die package with 1 core disabled on each.

It's not like the die is PGA on top of the package substrate! The die is BGA on the package which is PGA on the socket.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Westmere, Nehalem, and Sandy Bridge Xeons often came in two dies. You're not nearly as well informed as you believe.

A standard 10-core Xeon from Sandy Bridge coming in a 2-core dies with 1 core disabled on each.

It's not like the die is PGA on top of the package substrate! The die is BGA on the package which is PGA on the socket.

I can't find a single reference to an E5 2840 anywhere. Why don't you actually provide a link for once in your life.

I'm not talking about the elevation of the die itself. The entire CPU is elevated off the table. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Do you have any proof that it's an E5 2840? What even is a 2840?

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Doesn't exist.

It's AMD, got some confirmation, here's how Sandy/Ivy bridge CPUs look like:

New-Intel-Sandy-Bridge-EP-Processors-Spo

And now that delidded Zen:

29045918266l.jpg

And now an AMD FX-8350:

imgp0202.jpg

See how much closer the IHS is to the borders of the CPU, a typical "AMD" style with pins underneath (PGA)

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

Apparently better informed than you as you called BS on a news related to AMD without posting any proof but your own word. Everything (when looking at the pictures) indicates that it's a genuine Zen and the Xeon model you listed does not exist. Sorry to burst the bubble.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I can't find a single reference to an E5 2840 anywhere. Why don't you actually provide a link for once in your life.

I'm not talking about the elevation of the die itself. The entire CPU is elevated off the table. 

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's AMD, got some confirmation, here's how Sandy/Ivy bridge CPUs look like:

And now that delidded Zen:

And now an AMD FX-8350:

See how much closer the IHS is to the borders of the CPU, a typical "AMD" style with pins underneath (PGA)

Apparently better informed than you as you called BS on a news related to AMD without posting any proof but your own word. Everything (when looking at the pictures) indicates that it's a genuine Zen and the Xeon model you listed does not exist. Sorry to burst the bubble.

Nope, light source is ~15* above the horizontal. It's sitting on top of the capacitors. Nothing PGA about it.

Nope, light source is ~15* above the horizontal. It's sitting on top of the capacitors. Nothing PGA about it.

Maybe, maybe not. It could be elevated from LGA pads or PGA pins, it's hard to tell for certain with the picture. But even that aside, it looks a lot more like an AMD cpu than an Intel one. And again, I'm still waiting for proof that an E5 2840 even exists. Not to mention proof that a delidded 2840 looks like the leaked pictures. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Maybe, maybe not. It could be elevated from LGA pads or PGA pins, it's hard to tell for certain with the picture. But even that aside, it looks a lot more like an AMD cpu than an Intel one. And again, I'm still waiting for proof that a 2840 even exists.

Forgive me, 2830, but GFY. You know I'm right.

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

What about this?

A delidded FX-8320:

KJnw00a.jpg

A delidded rumoured "Zen":

29045918889l.jpg

Notice the similarities. Not sure if it's Zen for 100% as that's not possible to confirm, but it's definitely AMD's work.

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Forgive me, 2830, but GFY. You know I'm right.

You mean an E7 2830? And it still doesn't look like the pictured CPU. Image result for E7 2830 delidded

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

What about this?

A delidded FX-8320:

A delidded rumoured "Zen":

Notice the similarities. Not sure if it's Zen for 100% as that's not possible to confirm, but it's definitely AMD's work.

Similarities my right foot! Different lenses, different lighting angles, different surfaces, different distances to sensors!

The "Zen" picture is a photoshopped E7 2830 with a lightsource at 15* to the horizontal which any halfwit using basic knowledge of optics and refraction equations could tell you. The shadow is produced by the elevation of sitting on top of the capacitors on the bottom of the package.