Steps to do before switching Graphics cards

ShrDc

Hi!

So tomorrow (fingers crossed) I will head out to buy a new power supply and a GTX 1060. This is the first time I am alternating something in a pc that I own, and the first time that I have a good gaming pc (now I have gt 630... yup). Now, is there something that I need to do other than uninstalling the current card's drivers and downloading the new one's after I install the card? Thanks in advance

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can just swap the gpu's. Nothing you have to do. If your running current drives, you don't have to change them at all.

The drivers for a GT 630 will work for a GTX 1060?

In my experience, as long as your power supply will tick all of the boxes, it should just be a matter of plugging out the 630 and plugging in the 1060. After driver updates you should be up and running in no time. 

Good luck, mate!

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @ 4.3GHz

GPU: MSI nVidia GTX 750 Ti TwinFrozr

RAM: 16GB Kingston

1 minute ago, ShrDc said:

The drivers for a GT 630 will work for a GTX 1060?

Yep. If you go and look at your drivers in GeForce Experience you might notice that most of the latest updates are actually for cards like the 1080, 1070, 1060 and 1050. ;)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @ 4.3GHz

GPU: MSI nVidia GTX 750 Ti TwinFrozr

RAM: 16GB Kingston

you can either just swap it or what i would do is use DDU to properly unintall them, shut down swap GPU and then start it back up and do a new install of the drivers

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Ok, thanks! Now here's hoping that I will buy it tomorrow and everything will work fine. I am actually really looking forward to it, I can't wait.

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

Make sure there's no bottleneck in your system. or that 1060 will be a waste.

Considering ur current gpu is gt 630.

I have an i5 4570 and 8 gigs of ram. the CPU may prove to be a bottleneck in the more cpu intensive games, but overall it should not hurt the performance of the 1060.

Just now, Thread212 said:

Good. make sure u state your system next time and dont buy a crappy potato power supply for gtx 1060 okay.

I will buy an Antec HCG 620M power supply. Don't worry, I have done my research.

7 minutes ago, ShrDc said:

I will buy an Antec HCG 620M power supply. Don't worry, I have done my research.

That power supply is overkill for that setup. At most you'll need like 400 W to power it. I would go with the Corsair CX550M instead. Just as reliable and same efficiency, and will save you $20(also has better cable sleeving).

2 minutes ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

That power supply is overkill for that setup. At most you'll need like 400 W to power it. I would go with the Corsair CX550M instead. Just as reliable and same efficiency, and will save you $20(also has better cable sleeving).

That's not worth it to drop from a very good to a crappy psu just to save a lousy $20.

The problem in my country that there are not a lot of tier 1-3 power supplies and if there are they're usually the 1000w versions, so when I found a good psu, in a store close to me, that is not 1000 watts and is good I went for it, even if it is a bit of overkill.

5 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

That's not worth it to drop from a very good to a crappy psu just to save a lousy $20.

The corsair CX550M is an excellent PSU, I take it over an Antec PSU any day, even if it costed more.

6 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

CMX are fine both HCG and CXM are tier 3..as long its the grey labeled version of CXM not the green one.

The green one is called the builder CX series. Those ones are mediocre and non-modular, but the CXM series is modular and good in general.