If I can get a 6700k for $260 should I get it or wait for kaby lake and get that for $360?

Knaj

It's BF so the deal is nice. You have to wait a year until 7700k can go for sale on BF again

Hell no, Kaby lake isn't better than Skylake save for less power consumption and slightly higher clocks. (According to what info we have now, which suggests no noticeable IPC gains).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Get the i7 6700k because rumors say that the i7 7700k is 4.2GHZ.  Only a 0.2 GHZ difference.

1 minute ago, Dan1 said:

Get the i7 6700k because rumors say that the i7 7700k is 4.2GHZ.  Only a 0.2 GHZ difference.

but you don't compare cpu with clock speed.

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

You can when the ipc is the same. The core hasn't been changed at all.

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

A lot people compare cpus with the clock speed when the cpus have the same cores.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can when the ipc is the same. The core hasn't been changed at all.

yeah it's just for some reason fx 8350 been stuck in my head for a while

5 minutes ago, Knaj said:

Essentially, would it be worth it to wait for kaby lake or should I jump on this deal and get it for more expensive.

It's not worth $100 more for the 10-15% gains over skylake. :P 

Essentially, would it be worth it to wait for kaby lake or should I jump on this deal and get it for more expensive.

Skylake. Kaby Lake will not have the 38% better performance to justify that price difference. It might not even have 10%.

Just now, Dan1 said:

A lot people compare cpus with the clock speed when the cpus have the same cores.

And they would be horribly incorrect. A Q6600 running at 2.4GHz has nothing on an i5-6400 running at 2.4GHz.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, Knaj said:

So is it worth it or should I wait another year?

I personally its worth it.  

Just now, aisle9 said:

Skylake. Kaby Lake will not have the 38% better performance to justify that price difference. It might not even have 10%.

And they would be horribly incorrect. A Q6600 running at 2.4GHz has nothing on an i5-6400 running at 2.4GHz.

I think the argument he is making about the clock speed and cores is talking about different CPUs on the same architecture. Comparing processors on entirely different architectures would be an entirely different story.

Just now, Knaj said:

More importantly, is the cost justifiable over my i5-4460?

Tbh no. i5 4460 is still a beast cpu.

Just now, Knaj said:

Bottlenecks in battlefield 1

oh. well but only bf1?

More importantly, is the cost justifiable over my i5-4460?

Keep in mind that if you change from your 4460, you're not just changing CPU. You're changing RAM and motherboard as well, and you'll need a pricey Z170 motherboard to use your 6700K. We're not talking $260 for the CPU. We're probably talking more like $400-420 for the CPU, mobo and RAM.

If you're wanting to do a full system overhaul, might as well go for it. If you just want the extra threads and higher clock speed, look for a 4770, 4790 or E3-1231V3.

10 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Keep in mind that if you change from your 4460, you're not just changing CPU. You're changing RAM and motherboard as well, and you'll need a pricey Z170 motherboard to use your 6700K. We're not talking $260 for the CPU. We're probably talking more like $400-420 for the CPU, mobo and RAM.

If you're wanting to do a full system overhaul, might as well go for it. If you just want the extra threads and higher clock speed, look for a 4770, 4790 or E3-1231V3.

Fair point, it's probably best off waiting then I'd assume. Wait until my PC actually has trouble handling things.

Just now, Knaj said:

Fair point, it's probably best off waiting then I'd assume. Wait until my PC actually has trouble handling things.

If your PC's doing just fine now and you have no particular need to upgrade, yeah, I'd just leave it be. The 4460 will be a solid CPU for years to come. Just look at how many Westmere and Sandy i5's are still kicking out there.

53 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Also, I was planning on waiting for the 7700K & getting one of those for my laptop (it's a Clevo P750DM-G - has an i3-6100 right now).

But, considering I might want to soon do things for which 2 cores 4 threads might be a bottleneck (like streaming AAA games like Witcher 3, RotTR, GTA V when it is <$30, Overwatch, etc), since the 7700K won't likely be $260 until next November, I'd need a bios update to support Kaby Lake, I live ~97 miles from Micro Center in Tustin, CA, should I run get one this week maybe?  Except, it's sold out right now ... Wonder if I can be notified when available, I need to check on that.

I'd maybe sell the 6100, also I'd need better thermal paste (than the stuff I used from my desktop's 212 evo tube) - considering Gelid Extreme, Thermal(???) Kryonaut, Noctua NTH-1, Arctic MX-4 but am open to suggestions.  I plan on not replacing the laptop until > 2020-2022, maybe as late as 2025.  I might also consider a Coffee Lake upgrade in a few years, depending on 6 cores, bios/chipset/socket compatibility, etc, but I don't want to stay on 2C/4T all the way to 2018/9, hence getting i7-K Sky/Kaby now/soon.

Edited by PianoPlayer88Key