NASA has proven the EM drive to provide thrust with only electricity

Weak1ings

This is why they is called LAWS, they are ment to be broken.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

I wonder what other laws of physics we can break.....(stares at perpetual motion machine)

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

25 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I wonder what other laws of physics we can break.....(stares at perpetual motion machine)

Done and done.

406437_10150625903501215_657521214_11644

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

This is extremely inefficient tho. 1.2mN/Kw. you need infinite power to push a rocket that can take us out of earth atmosphere. It is however a interesting finding. I dont see newtons law broken this easy, there must be a better explanation, i am exited to see the theory behind this experiment to be discovered.

4 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

This is extremely inefficient tho. 1.2mN/Kw. you need infinite power to push a rocket that can take us out of earth atmosphere. It is however a interesting finding. I dont see newtons law broken this easy, there must be a better explanation, i am exited to see the theory behind this experiment to be discovered.

I would bet money that the plan would be conventional rockets until they reach orbit, then the EM stage. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

8 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

I feel like if this were to be ever used, they would design engines that are significantly more efficient. This is probably the equivalent of all those shitty bulbs Edison didn't show off to the world, before he perfected his version of the Incandescent Bulb.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

If i recall correctly there was a paper published already proving there was an opposite reaction. The particals produced as an opposing reaction phase through the walls of the em drive and are difficult to detect. Nasa agreed with their conclusion. 

Ill link to it when im on a pc

http://www.sciencealert.com/new-paper-claims-that-the-em-drive-doesn-t-defy-newton-s-3rd-law-after-all

http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/adva/6/6/10.1063/1.4953807

Here is the article I read explaining how there is in fact an opposing reaction that been discovered. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

13 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

Well, I guess I have cause to get a bit more excited about this.

I still need to do more checking, and I'm still gonna wait to see how this develops (If NASA tests this successfully in space, well...), but... Damn.

Pictures are recorded EM waves.

EDIT: Good god people, this is largely quantum mechanical phenomena. Don't just repeat repeat buzzwords saying it "breaks the laws of physics," it's more complicated than that.

Well there are two possibilities (you can't just rule one out without scientific proof)

1) Newtons law is incorrect (opens a giant can of 10 meter worms)

2) Newtons law is correct and there is another unknown phenomenon in play)

The second one is much more likely but of course the press will use the first because it makes a better headline.. *sigh*

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

I'm assuming quantum physics is at play, seeing as how photons do have momentum and can knock electrons off atoms. I am currently learning about it in solid-state physics, though as to how it propels entire metallic structures compared to just electrons is what baffles me at the moment.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

23 minutes ago, Vode said:

Well there are two possibilities (you can't just rule one out without scientific proof.

1) Newtons law is incorrect (opens a giant can of 10 meter worms).

2) Newtons law is correct and there is another unknown phenomenon in play.

The second one is much more likely but of course the press will use the first because it makes a better headline.. *sigh*

I wish there was some requirement for scientific competency in media, the world would be a better place if people either knew what they were talking about or didn't claim to.

Pertaining to the RFRC thruster, it's my understanding that its behavior suggests the validity of certain interpretations in quantum mechanics, a highly active field that we're still figuring out. Why people have trouble recognizing that, I have no idea.

In fact, skimming through the article now, it even explains that...

Oy vey.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

This is some pretty awesome news! Altough, wouldnt this mean that pidgeons would like to nest inside the thrusters and maybe get jolted once or twice?

Groomlake Authority

33 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

This is some pretty awesome news! Altough, wouldnt this mean that pidgeons would like to nest inside the thrusters and maybe get jolted once or twice?

How would the Pidgeons get inside, in this hypothetical scenario? All the pictures I've seen show the thruster as a contained sealed structure.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

-snip-

They would beak it until it fell off xD. The magnetism to achieve unreal addiction :p.

Groomlake Authority

59 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Because it uses microwaves, if any bird managed to get in (somehow) It'd be cooked like the microwave does!  Anyone up for an early thanksgiving and fried eggs? 

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Note that it doesn't necessarily break newton's third law.  Quantum effects could be a possible explanation ,  which would mean it might not be any more physics-defying than a traditional rocket motor 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

16 hours ago, SirFlamenco said:

I just want scientific proof, not a weird metal piece saying we can travel in time

15 hours ago, SirFlamenco said:

You are all assuming it happened but no actual proof... hot bakin fake

here you go :http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120

published by nasa , and peer reviewed.

And a video of it in action wouldn't be very telling , as it only produces about a few mNewton of thrust.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

16 hours ago, Weak1ings said:

It defies Newton's third law, which states that everything must have an equal and opposite reaction.

According to the law, for a system to produce thrust, it has to push something out the other way. The EM Drive doesn't do this.

This is an interesting thing, and I've been thinking for a while that, if quantum field theory and energy mass conversion is accurate, then it should be possible to generate thrust without emitting any particles (mass). 

Quantum field theory states, well, among alot of really complex things, that particles are just energy waves in a particle field. Energy mass conversion is simply the well known equation E= MC, which simply suggests that matter can be converted to energy or, when rearranged to M = E/Cthat energy can be converted to matter. 

If the above two statements are accurate, then it should be possible to generate thrust by exciting a quantum field with only energy, creating waves, and thus particles (matter, mass). Beyond that, by modifying the characteristics of the generated waves it would be theoretically possible to have star wars-esque space flight, or perhaps star trek-esque holodecks.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

11 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

here you go :http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120

published by nasa , and peer reviewed.

And a video of it in action wouldn't be very telling , as it only produces about a few mNewton of thrust.

I don't see actual pictures of this in action, so still fake IMO. A video would be great though.

So true it hurts

Just now, SirFlamenco said:

I don't see actual pictures of this in action, so still fake IMO. A video would be great though.

it's not exactly something you can film . This is not a traditionnal motor . It's very similar to ion drives , which accelerate very slowly ( over weeks or months ) , but can run for pretty much the entire trip , unlike rockets , which only run for a few minutes at a time.

This motor produces 1.2mN per kW , which is tiny , but can get you very far if it runs for months , as there is nothing slowing you down in space.

I just showed you a peer reviewed paper published by nasa , on an invention that was created by some random inventor in 1999 ( ie not someone financially or politically interesting ), that says that the drive works . 

If that isn't enough proof for you , then i don't know what is , especially in the digital age , where any video footage can be tampered with.

5 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

Errr - what? A picture wouldn't tell you anything.

1. A picture is a still frame - a single moment - you cannot always see motion in a still frame.

2. It produces so little force that even if you were in the room standing right beside the device, you couldn't see it move with your eye.

18 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

I see a troll, I don't even need pictures to detect him.

A video would be like watching paint dry.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.