Do you need an optical drive for a gaming computer?

I am planning to build a gaming PC at a moderate budget, but when picking out parts, I started to wonder if an optical drive is even necessary. I plan on using a USB stick to install Windows.

Thanks!

If you're not gonna use it, you're not gonna need it. Simple as that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It's not needed at all. Though personally I wouldn't want a high end computer without that capability. You could always try without one and then if you miss it, just buy one (they are super easy to install).

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

2 minutes ago, technoob1 said:

I am planning to build a gaming PC at a moderate budget, but when picking out parts, I started to wonder if an optical drive is even necessary. I plan on using a USB stick to install Windows.

Thanks!

Personally I like having atleast one. They are great if you ever play old games, also if you want to burn cds or add cds to your itunes library. Great if you dont have a dvd player or dont want to leave your room to watch a movie. And there are some software which require physical disk to run.

IM BACK BABY

i have lost all of my games on CD & DVD but I still have all of my steam games. Also steam games are more compatible and up to date than games purchase on retail media.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

If you have a lot of CDs or DVDs that you use often, then I would say you do need it. But if you don't, then you don't really need it. It really just depends on if you still use CDs and DVDs a lot. These days, most if not everything can be downloaded online. Such as games can be downloaded from stuff like Steam and Origin. 

What I do, since I do have a few things on CDs is I bought a cheap Samsung USB external optical drive. I just pull it out and plug it in when I need it (Which is very rarely).

Hope that helps! :D

Hope I was able to help! :D

I'm not a tech expert, but I do know a lot about Computers and Networking that I taught myself.

If you have any questions for me, feel free to PM me or reply to my post :)

38 minutes ago, technoob1 said:

Thanks!

I don't have one, Haven't used a disc in probably close to 10 years.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump