R9 290X Completely Sold Out On Launch Day.

Introduction

The release of the 290X what a roller coaster ride it had been.
First we learned about it during AMD's GPU14 event, soon aftewards 290X cards started popping up in places like Newegg in the US & other e-tailers all over the web with depressingly high prices that ranged from 730$ to a staggering 1500$.
We were told it was coming in October 15, then we were told the release was delayed but to when exactly we don't know all of this while rumors of performance and "leaked" benchmarks cropping up.

Finally the card was released and much to everyone's surprise the price was so attractive at 550$ most gamers were willing to over-look the high operating temperatures of the card that AMD continues to affirm that they're intentional.

Gamers were willing to over-look the shortcomings because of the incredible performance this card achieved, in 2560x1440 it quickly out-paced the 100$ more expensive GTX 780 and performed within a percentage or two of the 450$ more expensive GTX Titan and even occasionally beating it.
In 4K it managed to outstrip both flagships from Nvidia to win the most coveted award Tom's Hardware has to offer, the "Elite" award.

In the spirit of getting massive performance at a substantial discount, then, I’m giving AMD’s Radeon R9 290X Tom’s Hardware’s Elite award—the first time a graphics card has received this honor, I believe, during my tenure

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290x-hawaii-review,3650-35.html

And be crowned the fastest single GPU card available on the market today.

AMD promised us that the Radeon R9 290X and the Hawaii GPU would be impressive where it counts, in performance, and the card definitely lived up to those claims.  With a shader count 36% higher than the previous single-GPU flagship offering from the Radeon line, AMD was able to put enough horsepower into the R9 290X to push past both the GeForce GTX 780 and GTX Titan graphics cards in enough of our game tests to declare it the fastest single GPU card for PC gaming.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-R9-290X-Hawaii-Review-Taking-TITANs/Sound-Levels-and-Conclusions

All praise asideb if you do want an R9 290X today you're out of luck because the card sold out within hours of its launch fear not however more stock is coming... in the upcoming days.
http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r9-290x-video-cards-sold-online-just-hours_127108
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/32945-radeon-r9-290x-sells-out-on-newegg

everybody is happy with their jet engines then? jk honestly good for AMD

I think coolbeans was able to spread the word well enough to wait for this card.

You did it @CoolBeans .... you did it... *salutes*

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Plebs. What kind of nerd buys a reference card on launch day? You wait for aftermarket cooling, come on.

The 290X comes with jet engine performance, blowing past the diesel crackling of a 780.

Enjoy your diesel truck, I'm flying over to Columbia for free with my "Jet Engine" on 4K.

500px-The_Flying_City_of_Columbia.png

Plebs. What kind of nerd buys a reference card on launch day? You wait for aftermarket cooling, come on.

Right now there is discount in my country for 290x, it costs 490 € (On other websites it costs 520-600€). If I was going to buy new GPU I would get this reference and then slap after market cooler or water block on it.

arctic_accelero_xtreme_gtx280.jpg

Soon they will be buying this ones :D The pure point of 290x is overclocking... we all know that. Reference... suck.

In the UK they weren't sold out straight away and then a day later there were even more in stock.  I just can't wait to see an Asus Matrix 290X! 

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

arctic_accelero_xtreme_gtx280.jpg

Soon they will be buying this ones :D The pure point of 290x is overclocking... we all know that. Reference... suck.

Nothing will ever be as bad as a reference single slot hd 4850..that thing was such a terrible card for running 'cool'

The 290X comes with jet engine performance, blowing past the diesel crackling of a 780.

Enjoy your diesel truck, I'm flying over to Columbia for free with my "Jet Engine" on 4K.

it was a joke... the fans at 100% and on uber sound really loud... 

You know that would've been really funny if I could hear it over the sound of this $100 bill that I saved by not going with a 780.

You know that would've been really funny if I could hear it over the sound of this $100 bill in my pocket that I saved by not going with a 780.

well it was a joke I honestly don't care...

seems like every high end card that comes out sells out immediately. maybe im wrong but it seems that way at least the past few generations. 

well it was a joke I honestly don't care...

LOL, I'm joking too, didn't you get it, I "can't" hear you... I have a 290X.... it's loud.... get it ? never mind...

LOL, I'm joking too, didn't you get it, I "can't" hear you... I have a 290X.... it's loud.... get it ? never mind...

fair enough I do now but everybody else honestly can't you take a joke that's been around since the card launched

You mean this loud...

they were both loud at the time dude but drop it honestly don't think a joke is some way of starting a war I don't mind each side heck my next card is probably going to be a 290x DCU II

they were both loud at the time dude

All cards are very loud at 100% fan speed, the 290X is no exception, it doesn't run at 100% at stock, it doesn't even go over 40% at stock.

upgrading graphics card should i go 290x or 780ti? give atleast good reasons why i should get either one