MIT Reveals Technology for Wireless VR

Centurius

A new cordless virtual reality device consists of two directional

While VR still has many problems, one of them might be pretty close to being solved. The need for a wired tether. The Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at MIT have revealed MoVR, a system using millimetre waves that allows for communication at several gigabits per second.

Fortunately, researchers from MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) have recently unveiled a prototype system called “MoVR” that allows gamers to use any VR headset wirelessly.
In tests, the team showed that MoVR can enable untethered communication at a rate of multiple Gbps, or billions of bits per second. The system uses special high-frequency radio signals called “millimeter waves” (mmWaves) that many experts think could someday help deliver blazingly-fast 5G smartphones.

“Replacing the HDMI cable with a wireless link is very challenging since we need to stream high-resolution multi-view video in real-time,” says Haitham Hassanieh, an assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaigna who was not involved in the research. “This requires sustaining data rates of more than 6 Gbps while the user is moving and turning, which cannot be achieved by any of today's systems.”

Much more than just a concept the team has already managed to get it working with the HTC Vive however there is no reason why it wouldn't work with any other system.

Researchers tested the system on an HTC Vive but say that it can work with any headset. Katabi co-wrote a paper on the topic with PhD candidate Omid Abari, postdoc Dinesh Bharadia, and master’s student Austin Duffield. The team presented their findings last week at the ACM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks (HotNets 2016) in Atlanta.

The main downside of the system is that it requires a direct line of sight between the transmitter and the receiver, to address this the MoVR was developed to have a programmable mirror that detects the incoming signal and reprograms itself appropriately. 

These high-frequency waves have one major downside, which is that they don’t work well with obstacles or reflections. If you want mmWaves to deliver constant connectivity for your VR game, you would need to always have a line of sight between transmitter and receiver. (The signal can be blocked even by just briefly moving your hand in front of the headset.)
To overcome this challenge, the team developed MoVR to act as a programmable mirror that detects the direction of the incoming mmWave signal and reconfigures itself to reflect it toward the receiver on the headset. MoVR can learn the correct signal direction to within two degrees, allowing it to correctly configure its angles.
“With a traditional mirror, light reflects off the mirror at the same angle as it arrives,” says Abari. “But with MoVR, angles can be specifically programmed so that the mirror receives the signal from the mmWave transmitter and reflects it towards the headset, regardless of its actual direction.”

The device will consist of two directional antennas, less than half the size of a credit card each, in a phased array setup. Future versions will be so small that multiple could fit in a room and multiplayer VR becomes possible.

Each MoVR device consists of two directional antennas that are each less than half the size of a credit card. The antennas use what are called “phased arrays” in order to focus signals into narrow beams that can be electronically steered at a timescale of microseconds.
Abari says that future versions of MoVR’s hardware could be as small as a smartphone, allowing for users to put several devices in a single room. This would enable multiple people to play a game at the same time without blocking each others’ signals.

Source: https://news.mit.edu/2016/enabling-wireless-virtual-reality-1114

Full research report: http://www.mit.edu/~abari/Papers/Hotnets16a.pdf

---

Personally the tether(and cost) has been holding me back from committing to VR, if this makes its way into production I could see it being a serious boost for the industry and much more convenient for the early adopters as it appears the system could be modular and released for existing headsets.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

holy shit..... maybe not super long signals like 5G but A WIFI REVOLUTION

I think the more important question is -- how's the latency?

Removing compression from the equation and the short distance between receiver and transmitter(roomscale VR after all) should make it much lower than existing wireless solutions and probably low enough to eliminate the effects of latency on vr.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Seems like very impressive tech...for a dead platform. Hopefully something like this can revive it but if implemented, I suspect the people waiting for a price drop on "Gen 2" would be waiting for gen 3 or 4 instead.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 minutes ago, Centurius said:

special high-frequency radio signals

So basically microvawes. Of sorts.

On your head.

*shivers*

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

29 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

On your head.

*shivers*

Your Wi-Fi signal is in the same frequency as a microwave oven. The catch is how much power is it sending out. Frequency has little to do with it.

Except for everything after the visible spectrum. I'm pretty sure gamma rays will still ruin your day regardless of how powerful they are.

EDIT:

Because people were quick to jump on me.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

Just now, Litargirio said:

Yeah, it's in the area of 24Ghz and higher, which is why the mirrors are so important.

My Build:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Your Wi-Fi signal is in the same frequency as a microwave oven. The catch is how much power is it sending out. Frequency has little to do with it.

Except for everything after the visible spectrum. I'm pretty sure gamma rays will still ruin your day regardless of how powerful they are.

Yeah but the more data you need to transfer the more power the transmitter needs to output

And yes gamma rays will ruin your day they are one of the main reasons things like plutonium are very dangerous to be exposed to in any significant concentration

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

24 minutes ago, Centurius said:

The main downside of the system is that it requires a direct line of sight between the transmitter and the receiver, to address this the MoVR was developed to have a programmable mirror that detects the incoming signal and reprograms itself appropriately. 

I mean you should be playing VR in a open room anyway so i shouldn't see this as to much of a problem.

And another technology would be wirless 802.11D, really fast, just no wall penetration 

13 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The catch is how much power is it sending out. Frequency has little to do with it.

Don't.

Frequency is directly related to energy of the photon, power is thus related to the frequency and concentration (photons/s). Gamma ray's in modern usage refers not to a specific energy range, but to a generation source (nuclear excitation). X-rays (electron excitation) can be and often are higher energy and thus more damaging than gamma-rays.

Yes the 2.4 Ghz range is shared between the two.

EITHER way @OP this is basically just another 60Ghz+ wifi solution which has already been introduced on the market. It is NOT going to change a damn thing about wifi in home because it is effectively line-of-sight ONLY.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/191872-samsung-develops-60ghz-wifi-capable-of-4-6gbps-will-be-in-devices-next-year

Calling 802.11ad “60GHz WiFi” is a bit of a misnomer. Until now, WiFi described a set of relatively-low-frequency (2.4GHz and 5GHz) technologies for (mostly) creating wireless LANs. As a result, WiFi has generally had a range of between 50 and 200 feet — the kind of distances that you’d usually be loathe to run a cat 5 cable. 802.11ad, because 60GHz radio waves require line-of-sight and can be disrupted by just about anything — cats, humans, bad atmospheric conditions, a closed door — generally has a range of just a few meters. As such, 60GHz WiFi has a fairly short list of decent applications, with “wireless docking stations” probably at the top.

And for the record, yea you can buy 802.11ad devices already.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

And I'm just sitting here never wanting to move with a VR headset, never wanting fancy controllers of any sort, no stupid climbing games... 

I just want to sit at my desk with keyboard, mouse and a VR headset on playing first person games just like I'd normally do but with a screen all around my head. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

23 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Frequency has little to do with it.

Please don't. There is a clear relation between power and frequency.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

8 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Don't.

Frequency is directly related to energy of the photon, power is thus related to the frequency and concentration (photons/s). Gamma ray's in modern usage refers not to a specific energy range, but to a generation source (nuclear excitation). X-rays (electron excitation) can be and often are higher energy and thus more damaging than gamma-rays.

Yes the 2.4 Ghz range is shared between the two.

EITHER way @OP this is basically just another 60Ghz+ wifi solution which has already been introduced on the market. It is NOT going to change a damn thing about wifi in home because it is effectively line-of-sight ONLY.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/191872-samsung-develops-60ghz-wifi-capable-of-4-6gbps-will-be-in-devices-next-year

And for the record, yea you can buy 802.11ad devices already.

Wireless VR, where the line of sight limitation is not a problem. 

My Build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, cesrai said:

Please don't. There is a clear relation between power and frequency.

8 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Don't.

The silver lining in my post is if you weren't ready to jump on the "LET'S CORRECT THIS GUY" is that almost any EM source is potentially dangerous if you jack up the power of the transmitter, regardless of the frequency the EM source is emitting.

If frequency had absolutely nothing to do with it, then you're saying I can stand within a foot of a TV broadcasting transmitter or take off the grill of a microwave oven and suffer no ill effects

I wonder what that TPC solution that was recently shown off is using if this is what it takes to make wireless VR work...

Seems like the penetration issue could be solved pretty effectively with very little complication by just having multiple antennae. The Vive uses infrared for tracking, which also needs line-of-site.

9 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

And yes gamma rays will ruin your day they are one of the main reasons things like plutonium are very dangerous to be exposed to in any significant concentration.

Plutonium primarily emits alpha particles per my recollection, which are basically high-velocity helium nuclei.

7 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Huh, I didn't know there were such high frequency solutions already.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

so its basically a radar blaster.. it needs line of sight and is directionally focussed. i remain very skeptical of this, its very similar to li-fi. actually i would prefer li-fi for this since it doesn't rely on being directly pointed at it (as far as i know) and you only need download anyways.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

Plutonium primarily emits alpha particles per my recollection, which are basically high-velocity helium nuclei.

Highly radioactive materials also emit gamma rays (a lot of the elements past uranium though it depends on the specific isotope), as for alpha particles yes they are emitted by all the isotopes of plutonium as far as I know, the only real danger of alpha particles comes from inhalation as they are two big to penetrate skin. Generally the more energetic reactions release gamma in addition

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

10 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Wireless VR, where the line of sight limitation is not a problem. 

I mean it is if you turn completely around. Or if you put your hand up and block the beam. Seriously though, this isn't news worthy imho. It's literally just a different antenna shape for EHF band transmissions. Is has all the issues that the 802.11ad standard does, and implementation is not going to be a walk in the park.

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The silver lining in my post is if you weren't ready to jump on the "LET'S CORRECT THIS GUY" is that almost any EM source is potentially dangerous if you jack up the power of the transmitter, regardless of the frequency the EM source is emitting.

If frequency had absolutely nothing to do with it, then you're saying I can stand within a foot of a TV broadcasting transmitter or take off the grill of a microwave oven and suffer no ill effects

That isn't how radiation works, at all. Seriously.

Standing within a foot of a TV broadcasting transmitter would do absolutely nothing. Being right next to an unshielded microwave would do the same thing to you as it does to potatoes. Aka not fun.

The way that is damaging and the way IONIZING RADIATION is damaging (aka radiation above a few eV) are COMPLETELY different and not in any way, shape, or form comparable. 

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

8 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

the alpha particles aren't very dangerous, it's the electrons or the beta particles that do the damage

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I mean it is if you turn completely around. Or if you put your hand up and block the beam.

Which is why they use the mirrors/repeaters.

My Build:

Spoiler

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

Standing within a foot of a TV broadcasting transmitter would do absolutely nothing. Being right next to a microwave would do the same thing to you as it does to potatoes. Aka not fun.

By within a foot, I mean in front of the actual transmitter. Not the tower. But go ahead, stay in front of one for 24 hours and let me know what happens.

Also tell the FCC they're full of horse poop: https://www.fcc.gov/engineering-technology/electromagnetic-compatibility-division/radio-frequency-safety/faq/rf-safety

2 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

the alpha particles aren't very dangerous, it's the electrons or the beta particles that do the damage

This is generally accurate, but not in the same way. Alpha particles do a shitload of damage, but they can't penetrate into the vital organs (skin damage is not a big deal from Alpha particles), and so are basically harmless (plus a few cm of air blocks them).

If you however ingest a strong alpha emitter, you will have a very very bad day.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

By within a foot, I mean in front of the actual transmitter. Not the tower. But go ahead, stay in front of one for 24 hours and let me know what happens.

Also tell the FCC they're full of horse poop: https://www.fcc.gov/engineering-technology/electromagnetic-compatibility-division/radio-frequency-safety/faq/rf-safety

Yea please explain to me how the FCC is saying it will do anything? From the source:

CAN PEOPLE BE EXPOSED TO LEVELS OF RADIOFREQUENCY RADIATION THAT COULD BE HARMFUL?

Studies have shown that environmental levels of RF energy routinely encountered by the general public are typically far below levels necessary to produce significant heating and increased body temperature.  However, there may be situations, particularly in workplace environments near high-powered RF sources, where the recommended limits for safe exposure of human beings to RF energy could be exceeded.  In such cases, restrictive measures or mitigation actions may be necessary to ensure the safe use of RF energy. (Back to Index)

CAN RADIOFREQUENCY RADIATION CAUSE CANCER?

Some studies have also examined the possibility of a link between RF exposure and cancer.  Results to date have been inconclusive.  While some experimental data have suggested a possible link between exposure and tumor formation in animals exposed under certain specific conditions, the results have not been independently replicated.  Many other studies have failed to find evidence for a link to cancer or any related condition.  The Food and Drug Administration has further information on this topic with respect to RF exposure from mobile phones at the following Web site: FDA Radiation-Emitting Products Page . (Back to Index)

Look, the FCC and the nuclear field (of which I am a part of, and I can show a degree if you prefer) use what is called ALARA when discussing radiation risks. ALARA stands for As Low as Reasonably Achieveable. This basically means that even in cases where no documented cases of harm have been shown with radiation, limits are still imposed (most of them related to tissue heating potential, SAR, similar to how microwaves work, although microwaves are substantially more efficient at tissue heating due to specific resonance/dielectric heating they employ, which is why they operate at the frequencies they do).

Look at it this way, TV broadcasters bring ultrahigh-powered RF emitters with them all the time on stories and absolutely nothing is ever said about it. Because those frequencies are not dangerous (unless you get such a hilariously high output power that the minuscule absorption you experience results in a high heating rate).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Highly radioactive materials also emit gamma rays (a lot of the elements past uranium though it depends on the specific isotope), as for alpha particles yes they are emitted by all the isotopes of plutonium as far as I know, the only real danger of alpha particles comes from inhalation as they are two big to penetrate skin. Generally the more energetic reactions release gamma in addition.

Yeah, high energy spectra are always released from energetic decay, I just remembered that plutonium was known for undergoing alpha decay.

I just realized that I was thinking about the effects of plutonium when ingested. That's when alpha decay becomes toxic.

Damn, I need to brush up on my chemistry.

5 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

The alpha particles aren't very dangerous, it's the electrons or the beta particles that do the damage.

Yeah, as stated above I just thought alpha particles did more damage, it appears I have some reading to do.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

9 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

That isn't how radiation works, at all. Seriously.

Standing within a foot of a TV broadcasting transmitter would do absolutely nothing. Being right next to a microwave would do the same thing to you as it does to potatoes. Aka not fun.

The way that is damaging and the way IONIZING RADIATION is damaging (aka radiation above a few eV) are COMPLETELY different and not in any way, shape, or form comparable. 

Non-ionizing radiation does still harm you, just not in lasting ways. Depending on the power output and frequency it will cook your body, with FM actually being by far the most dangerous due to its extremely high power output (~100,000 watts) and the frequency being near perfect to use the human body as an antenna on the lower range of the FM band. Now, its not going to kill you anytime fast... but you're going to get a really bad headache and if you don't move out of the way you will pass out, and eventually your body couldn't keep up cooling you down so tissue would cook and you would die. IIRC, when a FM tower is turned down to 10,000 watts the competent safety limit was only a few seconds in front of a transmitter which while technically not enough time to climb past it, it is still done so that the radio station is still functioning and the risks of being harmed are still very low.

As for the microwave, at only 1,000-1500 watts its actually barely going to affect you spread across the entire body. It would take hours to begin to heat up your body because you will naturally regulate the heat, and depending on the person a microwave may not ever be able to heat you up faster than you can cool down. Focus that energy on your eyeball and we have a different (and much more disgusting) outcome... :P

HTC already has a $220 upgrade kit for going wireless

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/10/220-htc-vive-wireless-add-on/

vive-tpcast.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list