MIT Reveals Technology for Wireless VR

Centurius
2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

HTC already has a $220 upgrade kit for going wireless

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/10/220-htc-vive-wireless-add-on/

vive-tpcast.jpg

It's supposed to have a 15ms latency while the Vive refreshes every 10ms, with MoVR the latency is allegedly lower than 10ms.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

23 minutes ago, Scheer said:

Non-ionizing radiation does still harm you, just not in lasting ways. Depending on the power output and frequency it will cook your body, with FM actually being by far the most dangerous due to its extremely high power output (~100,000 watts) and the frequency being near perfect to use the human body as an antenna on the lower range of the FM band. Now, its not going to kill you anytime fast... but you're going to get a really bad headache and if you don't move out of the way you will pass out, and eventually your body couldn't keep up cooling you down so tissue would cook and you would die. IIRC, when a FM tower is turned down to 10,000 watts the competent safety limit was only a few seconds in front of a transmitter which while technically not enough time to climb past it, it is still done so that the radio station is still functioning and the risks of being harmed are still very low.

As for the microwave, at only 1,000-1500 watts its actually barely going to affect you spread across the entire body. It would take hours to begin to heat up your body because you will naturally regulate the heat, and depending on the person a microwave may not ever be able to heat you up faster than you can cool down. Focus that energy on your eyeball and we have a different (and much more disgusting) outcome... :P

See my other comment/clarification below. Look, non-ionizing radiation can be harmful enough in INSANE energy densities sure. Within the US, FCC gets really upset if you go over 100 kW, and most towers in the US don't even run that high (interference and LoS is a pretty big deal now days).

The microwave power actually will do extremely similar things if you say uncover it and stick your head in (because the thermal conductivity of your body isn't that great, and the affected region is only a few cm deep normally). It can/does cause the same headaches at a much lower power (again dielectric heating of bipolar molecules at those specific frequencies is far more efficient than RF heating is).

32 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Look, the FCC and the nuclear field (of which I am a part of, and I can show a degree if you prefer) use what is called ALARA when discussing radiation risks. ALARA stands for As Low as Reasonably Achieveable. This basically means that even in cases where no documented cases of harm have been shown with radiation, limits are still imposed (most of them related to tissue heating potential, SAR, similar to how microwaves work, although microwaves are substantially more efficient at tissue heating due to specific resonance/dielectric heating they employ, which is why they operate at the frequencies they do).

Look at it this way, TV broadcasters bring ultrahigh-powered RF emitters with them all the time on stories and absolutely nothing is ever said about it. Because those frequencies are not dangerous (unless you get such a hilariously high output power that the minuscule absorption you experience results in a high heating rate).

So yes, at 100,000 W+ non-ionizing radiation can "cook you", it cannot and does not injure you in the same way as ionizing radiation (which breaks "you" apart), which was my point originally

Here is a paper on the SAR from literally being within an 20kW FM mast attenna. You get up to 8W/kg in the lower body and up to 2W/kg in the upper body (which BTW is under the FCC limits for continuous exposure.) Aka you would survive without any expected negative side effects.

http://archiwum.ciop.pl/52650 (see page 157).

Screenshot (113).png

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

10 minutes ago, RexinOridle said:

Just wondering, will it cause cancer?

No. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS