Does Netflix support 4k streaming on PC on 4k monitors?

Profoundsoup

SURE!

It will decrease quality if your service isn't fast enough though.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

SURE!

It will decrease quality if your service isn't fast enough though.

Ofc, but it does allow you to stream in 4k even on a 4k monitor? It used to be limited to certain 4k TVs

Hardware Computer/GPU and TV/monitor  has to be HDCP 2.2 compliant device so thats what to check first. This is an anti Piracy method so people cannot Download the 4k files/ Rip UHD blu rays as easily so without this you will not be able to easily do this.

I Do not know if the apps support 4k but eventually they will and the above will still be needed. some of the cheaper earlier 4k tvs came out before HDCP 2.2 and they cant even play 4k content over HDMI due to this

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

I think only certain shows are available in 4k, I'm not 100% sure.

I watched family guy on a 4k tv never asked if it was real 4k though

Yup search 4k and they'll all list

I know stranger things and other netflix originals are just about all that's available

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

7 minutes ago, Profoundsoup said:

Ofc, but it does allow you to stream in 4k even on a 4k monitor? It used to be limited to certain 4k TVs

If you have a 4k monitor and your computer is correctly setup to output 4k (at least a dual link DVI, probably HDMI or Displayport necessary) then yes.

You do not need a specific 4k television or monitor, just one that is capable of displaying 4k resolution.

40 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

If you have a 4k monitor and your computer is correctly setup to output 4k (at least a dual link DVI, probably HDMI or Displayport necessary) then yes.

You do not need a specific 4k television or monitor, just one that is capable of displaying 4k resolution.

Not correct because of stupid locked down piracy protection. See post by @michaelocarllo

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

6 minutes ago, spwath said:

Not correct because of stupid locked down piracy protection. See post by @michaelocarllo

Really... could've sworn I watched Stranger Things in 4k from my PC.  It looked like 4k quality, but then again I never really saw any indicators that it was.

I wonder why they would do that, couldn't someone just record Nvidia shield output?

Why are so many of you saying 'Yes'???  The answer is 'No' because the Netflix Desktop app does NOT support 4K.  Netflix 4K support is exclusive to smart TVs, some game consoles, some Blu-Ray players and some other Set Top Boxes (Like the Shield TV).  There is flat out no 4K on Netflix on PC, no matter what monitor you are using.

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Why are so many of you saying 'Yes'???  The answer is 'No' because the Netflix Desktop app does NOT support 4K.  Netflix 4K support is exclusive to smart TVs, some game consoles, some Blu-Ray players and some other Set Top Boxes (Like the Shield TV).  There is flat out no 4K on Netflix on PC, no matter what monitor you are using.

I was the only person that said that, honestly thought that you could.

Don't understand why they would do this when I could play 4k on my shield and record the output.

33 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Don't understand why they would do this when I could play 4k on my shield and record the output.

Because you can't.  Your Shield will use HDCP 2.2 on it's output and your capture box won't capture it.

Not that workaround's don't exist, there's CLEARLY 2160p rips from mostly Netflix and Amazon out there, but you can't do it with just your HDMI capture box as you've stated.

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I was the only person that said that, honestly thought that you could.

I posted explaining this wont work HDCP 2.2 will get broken when you plug the shield into any capture device and wont play. But they did have one company selling a device that was able to do this it was very limited and stopped selling them shortly so this is where the Few 4k Rips come from im sure someone will make another device eventually and once its rapidly spread Netflix will care less and Pcs will be able to play 4k

3 hours ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

netflix doesn't support 4K on PC as of now. period

Somehow I think you're wrong. The 12 EUR (or regional equivalent) option lets you stream 4k. I see no reason for it to work on TVs or consoles and not work on PC

nvm

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Yes!

What you need:

-Netflix 4k subscription

-Intel Kaby Lake CPU

-Windows 10

-Microsoft Edge

-HDCP 2.2 display

-fast internet

--

At the moment there's no other way to get 4k Netflix on PC.

Nvidia GTX1000 series or AMD RX400 are not supported even though they support HDCP 2.2

--

You can check your streaming resolution by pressing ctrl+alt+shift+D

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/11/21/calling-all-gilmore-girls-fans-binge-more-and-watch-in-4k-with-microsoft-edge/#FUGl9qXubz4imJrQ.97

3 hours ago, .spider. said:

Yes!

What you need:

-Netflix 4k subscription

-Intel Kaby Lake CPU

-Windows 10

-Microsoft Edge

-HDCP 2.2 display

-fast internet

--

At the moment there's no other way to get 4k Netflix on PC.

Nvidia GTX1000 series or AMD RX400 are not supported even though they support HDCP 2.2

--

You can check your streaming resolution by pressing ctrl+alt+shift+D

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/11/21/calling-all-gilmore-girls-fans-binge-more-and-watch-in-4k-with-microsoft-edge/#FUGl9qXubz4imJrQ.97

To be fair, this wasn't the case at the time when the question wasn't previously answered. :P