Best course of action for a filthy laptop screen?

I love my Toshiba laptop (L755D if anyone cares) and I've used it first as my daily driver for everything including games, and now just for school after building a proper desktop. However after 4 years of use, the screen is pretty gross. I've taken it apart and cleaned out all the internals today as well as the rest of the shell, but the screen is proving to be an issue. All this gunk is really caked on there, so my microfiber cloth is basically doing nothing. It seems like a rather poor idea to use any sort of liquid cleaner on the screen, so what would you guys recommend?

IMG_20161113_171821.jpg

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Just soak a paper towel in liquid cleaner

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Eeek. I clean my laptop screen with a cloth regularly, but... this situation... Either 

A. Use cleaning alcohol

B. Use water. Just be careful not to let the water touch anything besides plastic and the screen. 

Skyggeis Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" Hard Drive 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Extreme
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case Satin Black
PSU: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular PSU
WiFi Card: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2
Case Fan: Aerocool DS 140mm Black 93.4 CFM
Other: Coolermaster VGA Holder
Other: Phanteks LED Strip 1M
Other: Phanteks Fan Splitter

Monitor: Dell S2716DG

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Just soak a paper towel in liquid cleaner

That won't harm anything if it's on the screen? And what sort of cleaner would you suggest?

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

We won't ask what the gunk is. Isopropyl is best for cleaning because it leaves no residue 

xD just dirt from over the years, I think it's mostly from my fingers as the screen rests on the keys when it's closed.

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

xD just dirt from over the years, I think it's mostly from my fingers as the screen rests on the keys when it's closed.

it looks like its been through several fappenings

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I use Monster screenclean. I've had the bottle for years and it's just under half full. Cleans nicely (though mostly dust, with the occasional sneeze/spit/phlegm residue). Says it's alcohol free but wouldn't know if that's worse or better or makes no difference.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

it looks like its been through several fappenings

*Furiously attempts to think of clever response to deny said accusations and also steer clear of this thread getting removed*

Water or alcohol will dissolve the gunk and not damage the screen. Just wet the microfibre cloth with it, not enough to make drops that could go into the edge of the screen.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

We won't ask what the gunk is. Isopropyl is best for cleaning because it leaves no residue 

3 minutes ago, rphawks said:

A. Use cleaning alcohol

No, never use alcohol unless your screen literally has actual glass on top of it. That doesn't look like CRT to me, so don't do it. Don't use paper towel either, they are abrasive to the screen. It's not like they will tear it open, but it will damage it over time.

Use microfiber or other lint-free cloth. You can use water or solutions explicitly compatible with LCD screens and the like, i.e, without alcohol nor ammonia. 

Isn't there some kind of coating on the screen that alcohol would remove? That's why I was always told never use alcohol on a monitor or TV... Unless it's glass, which I doubt this laptop is.

Just a bit of water and a lot of elbow grease should remove that gunk.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

No, never use alcohol unless your screen literally has actual glass on top of it. That doesn't look like CRT to me, so don't do it. Don't use paper towel either, they are abrasive to the screen. It's not like they will tear it open, but it will damage it over time.

Use microfiber or other lint-free cloth. You can use water or solutions explicitly compatible with LCD screens and the like, i.e, without alcohol nor ammonia. 

Just now, TetraSky said:

Isn't there some kind of coating on the screen that alcohol would remove? That's why I was always told never use alcohol on a monitor or TV...

Just a bit of water and a lot of elbow grease should remove that gunk.

Yeah I don't think alcohol is a great idea. I think I'll go with water and the microfiber cloth.

5 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

I use Monster screenclean. I've had the bottle for years and it's just under half full. Cleans nicely (though mostly dust, with the occasional sneeze/spit/phlegm residue). Says it's alcohol free but wouldn't know if that's worse or better or makes no difference.

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I now know if alcohol free is worse or better or makes no difference.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Yeah I don't think alcohol is a great idea. I think I'll go with water and the microfiber cloth.

You could also just get a bottle of LCD cleaner at your local tech store... One that is alcohol and ammonia free. I bought a bottle like 10 years ago and it's not even half empty yet, works great and dries quicker than just water.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

You could also just get a bottle of LCD cleaner at your local tech store... One that is alcohol and ammonia free. I bought a bottle like 10 years ago and it's not even half empty yet.

Yeah, I should probably invest in a bottle.

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Isopropyl alcohol is good for most screens since it evaporates quickly.

Edit: Just like with cars, apply lightly to a micro-fiber rag to prevent damage.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Oh right, Linus made a video on that before. Alcohol for mobiles/devices with glass front, water for anything else.

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Oh right, Linus made a video on that before. Alcohol for mobiles, water for anything else.

I miss Linus being abused by FractalJosh

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I miss Linus being abused by FractalJosh

We all do... We all do.

Just now, TetraSky said:

We all do... We all do.

Hah, I never saw that before. Thank you.

41 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

i use iso because its what is sold in CD cleaners. If its ok for CDs i figure its ok for screens

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i use iso because its what is sold in CD cleaners. If its ok for CDs i figure its ok for screens

CDs don't have anti glare coating on them that is easily removable with alcohol.