A new Kaby Lake i3 will apparently be overclockable!

1 minute ago, Nicholatian said:

This might be an excellent upgrade from my Core i3-6100… considering I have a Z170 motherboard and all. Hope this is real!

Definitely. It's also a sign that Intel might actually be gearing up to compete against Zen when it comes out, which we really need.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

3 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Definitely. It's also a sign that Intel might actually be gearing up to compete against Zen when it comes out, which we really need.

you think AMD is going to have anything significantly better than intel? you funny.

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

It will already beat Zen in performance, it just needs to beat it in value, which it proably wont. Zen will only be around Haswell speeds. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

you think AMD is going to have anything significantly better than intel? you funny.

1 minute ago, rn8686 said:

It will already beat Zen in performance, it just needs to beat it in value, which it proably wont. Zen will only be around Haswell speeds. 

I can dream ok xD

Just now, Matias_Chambers said:

i3's run pretty cool... We will have 5 GHz i3's everywhere!

Big numbers! Oh boy oh boy!

6 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

iv been waiting 5 years for Intel to drop their nonsense core locks. If AMD releases Zen and its just as good as Intel but doesn't have core locks then PC gaming is going to get very exciting. No core locks would drop Intel's SKU count by half and we might even get to see unlocked xeons

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

whats that based off? I got my hopes up man, dont cut them down

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

iv been waiting 5 years for Intel to drop their nonsense core locks. If AMD releases Zen and its just as good as Intel but doesn't have core locks then PC gaming is going to get very exciting. No core locks would drop Intel's SKU count by half and we might even get to see unlocked xeons

Honestly, all CPU's should be overclockable. Maybe Xeons are made for 24/7 stable usage, but if that is what you are looking for in them, then just don't OC them. 

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, Matias_Chambers said:

Honestly, all CPU's should be overclockable. Maybe Xeons are made for 24/7 stable usage, but if that is what you are looking for in them, then just don't OC them. 

They have ECC ram support and they are made for multiple socket motherboards. For certain tasks I wouldn't mind an extra CPU

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

"I'm not an engineer, I'm just a guy that is theorising stuff"

Unfortunately that "stuff" might be above him. Comparing clock speed? <- that is nonsense, that was proven with P4 vs Athlon a long time ago. I want to see comparisons on price, software compilation, virtualisation, and CSGO. We won't see that until it is released and Phoronix reviews it

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

"I'm not an engineer, I'm just a guy that is theorising stuff"

Unfortunately that "stuff" might be above him. Comparing clock speed? <- that is nonsense, that was proven with P4 vs Athlon a long time ago. I want to see comparisons on price, software compilation, virtualisation, and CSGO. We won't see that until it is released and Phoronix reviews it

Yep, though he might be right we can't count it out, especially because like I said Intel unlocking the multiplier on an i3 suggests they may actually be a little scared of what AMD's got. 

Interesting, so Intel finally covered the massive gap between the regular i3 and non K i5s. I'm actually excited for this CPU.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

If this happens at the price claimed, it would sit at the high end of i3, low end of non-OC i5. The i5 OC model wouldn't be that much more of a stretch if you're building a complete system. Plus you'd need an OC supporting mobo, so it will be no cheap OC box.

I do have a spare Z170 mobo with non-OC CPU in it, so if it will work well with that, I'd be tempted to get one to play with and just see what clocks the architecture can come up with. I might leave it to others to do it first as it wont be worth the effort unless you can break 5 GHz on air.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I like competition

Competition on what? Intel vs Intel?

But seriously, OC i3 for sub $180. Or get few bucks more and get a i5 6400 for $182 on newegg for instance. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Wow, this seems exciting....people unaware might laugh when they see a Noctua d15 strapped to an i3, til they see the overclock. 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

1 hour ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I ran an integer linear program based on the Steamroller numbers +10% for Excavator and then +40% on top of that for Zen. The optimization function was an aggregate of 20 benchmark scores. The best AMD could do was 3% over Haswell, and since no one ever gets perfection, it's going to be Haswell or less assuming no clock speed advantage.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

10 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

looks kinda cool, but I'd still recommend a locked i5 over this, 4 cores can't be replaced by 2 fast ones

They can be for some workloads. Power 8 is certainly proof of that. Scale-Up vs. Scale-Out.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I ran an integer linear program based on the Steamroller numbers +10% for Excavator and then +40% on top of that for Zen. The optimization function was an aggregate of 20 benchmark scores. The best AMD could do was 3% over Haswell, and since no one ever gets perfection, it's going to be Haswell or less assuming no clock speed advantage.

And if so, the pricing will determine if it's successful or not. If all the CPUs are overclockable and the quad-cores are priced less than $180, then holy shit.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

And if so, the pricing will determine if it's successful or not. If all the CPUs are overclockable and the quad-cores are priced less than $180, then holy shit.

I would recommend NOT speculating about AMD's pricing at this point. Lisa Su already said she wanted to shake the "cheaper option" monicker.

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

I would recommend NOT speculating about AMD's pricing at this point. Lisa Su already said she wanted to shake the "cheaper option" monicker.

But this time, the cheaper option with Haswell performance would be really good :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

16 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

you have tested a zen?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_