So 5820k or xeon e5 2658 v3

So I have two choices. Spending 200$ on the xeon or buy the 5820k for 380$. So the motherboard and ram are msi x99 pro gaming carbon, and corsair led 32gb. So I was just wondering if the performance for gaming would be drastically different between them. Also I will be gaming, creating 3d objects and rendering videos. Just for reference.

Just now, doomsriker said:

You need an LGA 2011 cpu for an X99 board. Id go with the I5 between the two cpus

Uhm, he is doing 3D work and rendering, so he will benefit from the extra cores of X99.

It really comes down to what you care about the most. Gaming or rendering/3D work Put it this way. The 5820K will do both tasks perfectly fine, but will perform a bit better in gaming. The Xeon will also do both tasks perfectly fine but will be ahead of the 5820K in rendering and 3D work. And by the way if you use Adobe Premiere Pro, it will also benefit from higher clock-speed and it does benefit from more cores to. I would personally go for the 5820K. 

Edited by Matias_Chambers

8 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

It really comes down to what you care about the most. Gaming or rendering/3D work Put it this way. The 5820K will do both tasks perfectly fine, but will perform a bit better in gaming. The Xeon will also do both tasks perfectly fine but will be ahead of the 5820K in rendering and 3D work. And by the way if you use Adobe Premiere Pro, it will also benefit from higher clock-speed and it does benefit from more cores to. I would personally go for the 5820K. 

The cheap Xeons are rather slow. The 12 and 14 core Xeons aren't worth it imo. Lack of clock ruins them. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

The cheap Xeons are rather slow. The 12 and 14 core Xeons aren't worth it imo. Lack of clock ruins them. 

That's what I was thinking. Honestly I think the best option is the 5820K. 

2 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

1600 points in cinebench, and a 3Ghz turbo. Definitely not slow.

But for $200 there is almost no way you can buy those even used for that price, too suspiciously low to be any good.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

37 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

1600 points in cinebench, and a 3Ghz turbo. Definitely not slow.

That's pretty slow. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

32 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

That's pretty slow. 

Compared to what a 6950x?

A 5820k/6700k only score about 1000 on cinebench r15. 

And a 6900k is a tad slower at 1500 points.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10337/the-intel-broadwell-e-review-core-i7-6950x-6900k-6850k-and-6800k-tested-up-to-10-cores/6

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

You could go with neither and just grab two E5 2670s. They would each have two 8 cores and 16 threads each. They also only cost about 70-80 bucks per chip. Two chips also score about 2000 on cinebench. Older dual LGA2011 boards can be expensive though. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

5 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

That's pretty slow. 

Yep that is actually. My 5820K scores around 1200 in cinebench. And the Xeon has twice the cores. 

12 hours ago, SLAYR said:

Compared to what a 6950x?

A 5820k/6700k only score about 1000 on cinebench r15. 
And a 6900k is a tad slower at 1500 points.

>stock results.

I'm done here.

>X99

>K or X sku

>not overclocked

i'm losing it. Have fun kid. Think what you want. 

7 hours ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Yep that is actually. My 5820K scores around 1200 in cinebench. And the Xeon has twice the cores. 

For 4.5GHz you're quite slow there with only 1200cb. At the same clock i'm scoring 1335cb. Which is in the realm of all the other slower 5820Ks

14 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>stock results.

I'm done here.

>X99

>K or X sku

>not overclocked

>greentext.png

>assuming that everyone who wants a workstation overclocks there cpus heavily

>words 

>"im done here"

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

6 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

>greentext.png

>assuming that everyone who wants a workstation overclocks there cpus heavily

>words 

>"im done here"

4200 - 4300 isn't even a harcore OC for a 5960X. Or any K/X sku in the last few years. LTT is far too casual it seems for anything remotely fast unfortunately.

If you're spending cash on a workstation might as well go as fast as you can. 

OP should just go 5820K, preferably used since it's not worth the bother getting a new one now. 

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

4200 - 4300 isn't even a harcore OC for a 5960X. Or any K/X sku in the last few years. LTT is far too casual it seems for anything remotely fast unfortunately.

OP should just go 5820K, preferably used since it's not worth the bother getting a new one now. 

i agree , the 5820k is down in the 200´s , go get it , pal of mine has it and it kicks absolute ass 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

29 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>stock results.

I'm done here.

>X99

>K or X sku

>not overclocked

i'm losing it. Have fun kid. Think what you want. 

For 4.5GHz you're quite slow there with only 1200cb. At the same clock i'm scoring 1335cb. Which is in the realm of all the other slower 5820Ks

nvm 1282, and that was at 4.4 GHz. 

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

A 5820k at 4.9GHz will only give about 1500 points on cinebech, look at the one on cinebench thread.

and overclocking is not what you want on a workstation you have to depend on, stability is a lot more important. If it crashes in the middle of something that leads to file corruption and the loss of whatever you were working on, as well as spending time fiddling with bios settings, there is a reason why xeons are locked. 

I would only say go with the 5820k because $200 for that xeon is too good to be true.

7 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

i agree , the 5820k is down in the 200´s , go get it , pal of mine has it and it kicks absolute ass 

What clock on it? I paid full for mine (£320) but at least it clocks well. Would have been pissed if it was stuck in the < 4.6GHz range. 

But it's not bad for an entry level enthusiast processor

4 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

nvm 1282, and that was at 4.4 GHz. 

That's not too bad then. 

Just now, SLAYR said:

A 5820k at 4.9GHz will only give about 1500 points on cinebech, look at the one on cinebench thread.

and overclocking is not what you want on a workstation you have to depend on, stability is a lot more important. If it crashes in the middle of something that leads to file corruption and the loss of whatever you were working on, as well as spending time fiddling with bios settings, there is a reason why xeons are locked. 

I would only say go with the 5820k because $200 for that xeon is too good to be true.

that's what i'm looking at. 4.7 - 4.8 would still yield 1430 - 1460 at much, much lower volts that that 4.9 result. Heck, that's the only place i look at on here. 

And RealBench exists for a reason. If it doesn't do that for 18+ hours then you're not rock solid stable. Also back ups. 

And those cheap Xeons are on eBay btw. Hong Kong or China has a bunch of them the silly cheap. 

5820k all day.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I'd say the 5820K because $200 for a Xeon seems fishy, even for a Engineering sample CPU.

As for the comments above, you're missing the point about the Xeons...yes, a overclocked 5820K (4.5GHz on my cousin's 5820K) will be below (Or when heavily overclocked, match) a 14 core Xeon, but my E5-2695V3 will get 1670cb, but the core voltage is only 0.89v at full load...that power difference between a overclocked 5820K adds up when you have a server farm of these CPUs.

But yeah, gaming on the Xeon sucks pretty bad, I only use it for rendering in my NAS, but yeah, I stuck my 980 Ti into my server and it does CPU choke bad for single core games / tasks.