Limit the SPAM?

Xanthe_2871

The Arabic text spammer who was just here got me thinking. To help limit spam, perhaps a sensible precaution would be limiting the number of new threads a user can open within a given amount of time until they reach a certain number of posts. Say, members with fewer than 100 posts are limited to 5 new threads per hour. Just an idea :)

@ThinkWithPortals

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

*Types to comment on this thread*

*Oh shit, were sorry but your a lazy asshole without to much threads, try again in 1 hour*

I mean its stupid to me since some people wanna chit chat with other people on a thread, for lets say @Dackzy and me chit chat allot about i5's and i7's

Problem is that forums software sees both threads and normal replies as same thing. So any limit would be applied for both. Now with troubleshooting topics its common to have multiple posts within short time span. Like 5-15 within hour. Also members with under 100 posts is quite broad group and would cause more annoyance in normal users than actually limit spammers. Like yourself. You've been here a week, no way you could have almost 500 posts if there would be limit for members with under 100 posts.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It is possible to add a limit, but it can only be a daily limit, which wouldn't help, and it can only be applied to posts, not topics. Combined with the points made above, I'm afraid it's not feasible. Even if it was though, the spammers would just post the spam in existing threads, which would arguably be worse.

HTTP/2 203

Kek don't care if they did something like this, I am way above 100 or 5000 posts.

23 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

*Types to comment on this thread*

*Oh shit, were sorry but your a lazy asshole without to much threads, try again in 1 hour*

I mean its stupid to me since some people wanna chit chat with other people on a thread, for lets say @Dackzy and me chit chat allot about i5's and i7's

true

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

24 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Problem is that forums software sees both threads and normal replies as same thing. So any limit would be applied for both. Now with troubleshooting topics its common to have multiple posts within short time span. Like 5-15 within hour. Also members with under 100 posts is quite broad group and would cause more annoyance in normal users than actually limit spammers. Like yourself. You've been here a week, no way you could have almost 500 posts if there would be limit for members with under 100 posts.

Very good point, if the software can't tell the difference between a thread and a post then that would be horrible, I do not think new users should be limited by posts. 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

18 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

It is possible to add a limit, but it can only be a daily limit, which wouldn't help, and it can only be applied to posts, not topics. Combined with the points made above, I'm afraid it's not feasible. Even if it was though, the spammers would just post the spam in existing threads, which would arguably be worse.

I know this is a whole different ball game, but maybe a smarter spam filter could look for trends that are suspicious, like a new member posting multiple things in a short time frame that contain mostly non English text or similar text (a lot of the Arabic posts said more or less the same thing just posted over and over again). 

Look at this bullshit.

Just look at it.

6FZGidL.png

Have an Arabic text filter that just insta-bans you when you post this crap.

Ye ole' train

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Well how hard would it be to diferenciate between them, if the users post is the first one in a thread then they posted it surely?

and then you could count the number of posts which were also first in a thread, and ban them that way.

Ban Arabic text on this forum. Easy as that. If you try to post it, you're banned. 

Ye ole' train

1 hour ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

I know this is a whole different ball game, but maybe a smarter spam filter could look for trends that are suspicious, like a new member posting multiple things in a short time frame that contain mostly non English text or similar text (a lot of the Arabic posts said more or less the same thing just posted over and over again). 

That would be ideal, but is wouldn't exactly be a small project.

18 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Perhaps have an auto ban or something for users that get an unreasonably high number of reported posts?

That is something that I would like to add, with some caveats to prevent abuse, but it would require a substantial redesign of the report system.

13 minutes ago, Wrb said:

Well how hard would it be to diferenciate between them, if the users post is the first one in a thread then they posted it surely?

and then you could count the number of posts which were also first in a thread, and ban them that way.

Yes, but the systems that we have available to us only allow limiting by posts, not by topics, and to change that is not easy because, from memory, it's not something that can be easily changed using a plugin.

10 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Ban Arabic text on this forum. Easy as that. If you try to post it, you're banned. 

That isn't a reasonable solution - just because a lot of the spam is in arabic, that doesn't mean that no arabic should be allowed at all.

HTTP/2 203

31 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Have an Arabic text filter that just insta-bans you when you post this crap.

20 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

That has been suggested before and shot down by most of the community. First of all, it wouldn't do much. If its not arabic, it would be hindy, chinese or some nordic language. And when all of them are banned, it will be in plain english. What shall we do then? Ban everyone posting in english? Secondly, while main forums use mainly english, there are threads (Dutch Talk) and PMs where users are free to use any language they like. It would be very discriminating to ban one language just because its used for the recent spam waves.

30 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Perhaps have an auto ban or something for users that get an unreasonably high number of reported posts?

What might be the correct number for that? I post about 15 posts within hour.

23 minutes ago, Wrb said:

I would assume thats harder to do than it sounds.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Reports, not posts. If a user ends up with like 50 reports on their first couple posts, its more than likely a spam user. Perhaps an auto ban feature could have a "If you believe this ban was an error, you can contact staff here: staffcontact.potato" line or something on the super rare occasion that someone legitimate gets banned

12 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

It was the number of REPORTED posts that would be the trigger. Yes, someone would have to work out some reasonable threshold. Maybe make it independent of the post. If a spam account was created, then reports can get counted against the account not posts, so it doesn't matter if it is a few reports each for a large number of posts, or a large number of reports for a single post.

A concern to this system would be attempted censoring of valid if unpopular content. At some point the auto-bans would still be reviewed by a human and determined if valid or not. If not, then the system could apply a penalty point to persons making those false reports, and potentially depreciate or ban them from making reports or other measures.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

ideally you could implement a system that triggers not on amount or speed of posting, but rather on the similarities of the posts. (spammers always copypasta the same post).

although, even a coding pleb like me knows that's not an easy task, and not desirable for the sake of the forum running smooth :P

3 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

-snip-

3 hours ago, porina said:

.snip-

My bad, misread. Still, I wouldn't make it auto-ban. Auto-restrict from posting until member of the staff validates it. Too much risk of misuse and cyber-bullying.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

24 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

My bad, misread. Still, I wouldn't make it auto-ban. Auto-restrict from posting until member of the staff validates it. Too much risk of misuse and cyber-bullying.

I think there is room for an automated system. Those that abuse it will also get dealt with the same way.

Another way might be to arrange extra coverage so there will more likely be a mod available 24/7. Let the sun never set on the Linus empire! I know from other forums modding can be a tankless job. Even if a separate category could be made where they're not full on mods but dedicated spam hunters, it could help.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

I think there is room for an automated system. Those that abuse it will also get dealt with the same way.

Another way might be to arrange extra coverage so there will more likely be a mod available 24/7. Let the sun never set on the Linus empire! I know from other forums modding can be a tankless job. Even if a separate category could be made where they're not full on mods but dedicated spam hunters, it could help.

247 mod coverage would mean paying people for it. There just isn't any normal people who would cover the timeslot where EU people are waking up and going to school/work and US people are going to sleep. A lot of current spam which isn't dealt within 10-30 mins happens at 7-11am CET.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Anyone remember the "You are an idiot" prank websites of the good ol'days? 

Put spammers on a re-direct to a page which opens 50 instances of that.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.