EVGA responds to hot VRM area on GTX 10 series

zMeul

They are trying they hardest to get the heat down and the FPS up so they can charger more money

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Why would that be a problem? When only the most expensive motherboards have integrated audio that comes close to a budget creative or Asus soundcard?

he has a sabertooth board , and still uses a card that also blocks half of the GPU

also dedicated soundcards are fucking useless 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

15 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

he has a sabertooth board , and still uses a card that also blocks half of the GPU

also dedicated soundcards are fucking useless 

I have a Z97 Sabertooth. The Audio quality was worse (it died a few months ago, hence the past tense) than that of my old Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard, and Creative Live Value soundcard (both pre 2000). And there is plenty of space behind it as well. And why are they useless? When they last through years of upgrades while sounding better than onboard audio.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

And why are they useless? When they last through years of upgrades while sounding better than onboard audio.

okay let me clarify ,

an 200$ ASUS SUPER GAMER SOUND XXX is useless compared to a 20$ soundblaster or realtek card

also asoon as you have an USB headset the headset itself is the soundcard , wich will make a fancy pcie x16 card like that one in the vid even more of a drinks coaster

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

12 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

okay let me clarify ,

an 200$ ASUS SUPER GAMER SOUND XXX is useless compared to a 20$ soundblaster or realtek card

also asoon as you have an USB headset the headset itself is the soundcard , wich will make a fancy pcie x16 card like that one in the vid even more of a drinks coaster

I dis say budget soudcards before-as in those around the $50 USD/AUD price point. A card such as the Asus Xonar DGX. And what if you have speakers or a headset/hedphones that are actually good? Because USB headsets/headphones have the same problems discussed when the iPhone 7 released with only a USB C connector for audio. And that is a PCIe x1 card-that's all that is needed for a sound card. BTW, Realtek soundcards are shit when compared to a Soundblaster VX 5.1-which is a cheap sound card that is barely eual to my old Live Value (which has its main audio chip dated at 1996).

PMSL

48 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

(which has its main audio chip dated at 1996).

I still have a soundblaster 16  here in use

and varius LIVE cards , soundblaster is just top notch

I have  handful of realtek cards wich are okay for normal use ,

salvaged from plenty of pcs I took apart

personally I use a Madcats freq5 5.1 headset wich is more ducttape than headset , but the mic is very nice and the headset itself is pleasant

PSU Tier list

Here's another FTW that blew out: http://forums.evga.com/1080-FTW-exploded-now-dead-and-took-other-parts-with-it-m2583259.aspx

It seems like the FTWs are particularly vulnerable to blow-outs, and black screen / high-speed fan-spinning.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Here's another FTW that blew out: http://forums.evga.com/1080-FTW-exploded-now-dead-and-took-other-parts-with-it-m2583259.aspx

It seems like the FTWs are particularly vulnerable to blow-outs, and black screen / high-speed fan-spinning.

Good thing I decided to scale back and get a SC then. But first, more important things.

On 10/31/2016 at 8:17 AM, zMeul said:

I would not call it "not a problem"; I've updated my previous post

Even if there isn't pads on the midplate to VRM design, the classified has way higher end VRM design that shouldn't get nearly as hot as reference / FTW / ACX cards.

There's usually such a high phase count with high end VRM that barely even gets hot on those cards, since they're designed to push 1000w+ through their VRM's on Ln2.

On my 980 TI Matrix when I was pushing 1.563v for 1800 mhz, I think my VRM was like 40c under load, with just an SP120 blowing air on the little heatsink on the VRM

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

11 minutes ago, Daring said:

https://www.twitch.tv/aerosimgaming/v/101518948

Evidently, the thermal mod did fuck all. I'm honestly considering going MSI now, unless EVGA does the right thing and recalls their cards to revise the ACX 3.0. This is becoming ridiculous.

That was posted before... looks like the post is gone, or maybe it was in another thread. I'm sure that incident would be pre-thermal pad mod. A lot of people either haven't received thermal pads yet, or haven't chosen to order them. I'm sure lots of people haven't updated their BIOS, either.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

That was posted before... looks like the post is gone, or maybe it was in another thread. I'm sure that incident would be pre-thermal pad mod.

The recording date was 17 hours ago. Here's the stream it comes from, broadcasted 21 hours ago as of this post; happens at 2:51:50, if you need a timestamp.

5 minutes ago, Daring said:

The recording date was 17 hours ago. Here's the stream it comes from, broadcasted 21 hours ago as of this post; happens at 2:51:50, if you need a timestamp.

yes, and I posted it 12 hours ago here: 

you say he had the thermal pads applied

however, from this reddit thread he doesn't indicate it being the case:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/5dd8ol/evga_1070_ftw_catching_fire_live_on_stream/

5 minutes ago, Daring said:

I edited into my previous post: "A lot of people either haven't received thermal pads yet, or haven't chosen to order them. I'm sure lots of people haven't updated their BIOS, either."

I'm still waiting for my thermal pads to arrive in the mail. I ordered them a week or two ago, and they shipped 2 days ago, and EVGA's website says it can take 1 - 2 weeks before they arrive. EVGA say they're shipping them out as they receive them, but that they don't have enough to send them all out at once.

12 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I edited into my previous post: "A lot of people either haven't received thermal pads yet, or haven't chosen to order them. I'm sure lots of people haven't updated their BIOS, either."

I'm still waiting for my thermal pads to arrive in the mail. I ordered them a week or two ago, and they shipped 2 days ago, and EVGA's website says it can take 1 - 2 weeks before they arrive. EVGA say they're shipping them out as they receive them, but that they don't have enough to send them all out at once.

Yeah.

tbh, I think that at this point, EVGA needs to recall all ACX 3.0 model cards and revise the cooler. It's beginning to remind me of a certain other fiery disaster from this year...

seems like EVGA's BIOS update that alters the fan curve doesn't help: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5dwc1v/another_evga_gtx_1070_ftw_caught_on_fire/

VUVwM9c.jpg

The part that sucks, i got my thermal pads from evga on monday but never got around to install them!
I had the New bios installed for 2 weeks and that never helped i guess!

EVGA should've recalled all their shit

Hopefully that'll stop all the evga reps from saying that the Thermal pad mod is "unnecessary".

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

5 hours ago, Pohernori said:

Hopefully that'll stop all the evga reps from saying that the Thermal pad mod is "unnecessary".

I still have suspicions that cards could continue to fail even after the thermal pad mod is installed.

I wonder what percentage of owners have received the thermal pad mod so far. It feels like a very long wait.

9 hours ago, zMeul said:

seems like EVGA's BIOS update that alters the fan curve doesn't help: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5dwc1v/another_evga_gtx_1070_ftw_caught_on_fire/

VUVwM9c.jpg

EVGA should've recalled all their shit

This doesn't require a full recall though.  It is an easily correctable problem by the user and they are providing a free solution.  If people don't bother to take the time to do it then at that point it is on them.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

3 minutes ago, KWelz said:

This doesn't require a full recall though.  It is an easily correctable problem by the user and they are providing a free solution.  If people don't bother to take the time to do it then at that point it is on them.  

The cards are able to catch fire easily under normal use. Yes they should be recalled. And no one should by a product, and then have to fix any manufacturing defects themselves.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

The cards are able to catch fire easily under normal use. Yes they should be recalled. And no one should by a product, and then have to fix any manufacturing defects themselves.

And if they had continued to sell the cards as is after it was discovered then yes I would agree with you 100%.   

Nobody HAS to fix it themselves.  They offer that as a solution which is easy.  They also are offering full cross shipment RMA options for people who don't want to do it, of even people who try it and mess up.  

Yep EVGA messed up on this.  At some point in design, budgeting, of manufacturing someone dropped the ball.   However they are also responding in just about the best way a company can.  Offering multiple solutions that leave the customer with little or no downtime.  

A recall is not always the best solution.  In fact in many cases it is a terrible solution for both the company and the consumer.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

On 10/21/2016 at 5:25 PM, potoooooooo said:

Why do people like EVGA so much? There is shit like this every generation

You sound like you're just jealous and have no knowledge of what "quality" is in a GPU. Just because they made a mistake doesn't mean they are the first, nor the last to do it and it doesn't make it trash.

So MSI's name keeps coming up...should I cancel the Gaming X 1070 I just ordered and go with an ASUS Strix instead? I haven't seen of heard of problems with the MSI GPU, but it doesn't have any real cooling to speak of covering the VRMs either?

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

5 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

I still have suspicions that cards could continue to fail even after the thermal pad mod is installed.

I wonder what percentage of owners have received the thermal pad mod so far. It feels like a very long wait.

Its shouldn't. But the backplate will get way hotter than it normally would. 

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

So MSI's name keeps coming up...should I cancel the Gaming X 1070 I just ordered and go with an ASUS Strix instead? I haven't seen of heard of problems with the MSI GPU, but it doesn't have any real cooling to speak of covering the VRMs either?

Msi is another one than doesn't have thermal pads on the backplate. But they don't burn up since the front plate has fins and cool them way better. They're just as hot as Zotac's vrm.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

3 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Msi is another one than doesn't have thermal pads on the backplate. But they don't burn up since the front plate has fins and cool them way better. They're just as hot as Zotac's vrm.

So no reason to reconsider my Gaming X purchase?

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.