EVGA responds to hot VRM area on GTX 10 series

zMeul
3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

do you even read ?!?!?!

1st: the 106.8deg is at the measuring point highlighted on the image

2ndly, the VRM isn't the problem it's the source of the problem - the actual problem is the VRAM that gets too hot from being in close proximity to the VRM

Ah yeah 106.8°C on the vrm then.

Still doesnt answer my question.

the VRM isnt the problem, its the source of the problem?

eh?

Just now, Sintezza said:

eh?

the lack of proper cooling is the source of the problem

Just now, Sintezza said:

eh?

I dont get that logic.

The VRM causes the VRAM right next to it to get too hot. So it is the problem. The source is the lack of thermal pads between the PCB underneath the VRM and backplate.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, zMeul said:

the lack of proper cooling is the source of the problem

Ah now that makes slightly more sense yeah.

So in other words the cooling unit is either not edequate enough.

Or there is a contact dissipation issue.

Just now, Sintezza said:

Ah now that makes slightly more sense yeah.

So in other words the cooling unit is either not edequate enough.

Or there is a contact dissipation issue.

EVGA put a plate on top of the VRM but there's no contact between that plate and the radiator

now, they're issuing thermal pads so people can put them:

1. in between the plate and radiator
  2. on the back of the PCB (in the VRM area) to contact the backplate

Just now, Dabombinable said:

The VRM causes the VRAM right next to it to get too hot. So it is the problem. The source is the lack of thermal pads between the PCB underneath the VRM and backplate.

Yeah most likely a contact + dissipation issue.

106°C on a IR driven vrm is still within margins.

But i do have to say that its allready pretty hot.

Not sure if better contact pads would fully solve the problem.

Just now, Sintezza said:

106°C on a IR driven vrm is still within margins.

that's on the back of the PCB, the actual package temp will be higher than that

people have reported burns on the PCB in the VRM area, so they get really toasty

Just now, zMeul said:

that's on the back of the PCB, the actual package temp will be higher than that

Yeah exactly.

For the people who boaght this card, i hope that the thermal pads will solve the issue.

Otherwise EVGA might have an serious issue here.

1 minute ago, Sintezza said:

Yeah exactly.

For the people who boaght this card, i hope that the thermal pads will solve the issue.

Otherwise EVGA might have an serious issue here.

this shouldn't've happened in the 1st place, EVGA didn't do thermal testing at all before shipping the product?!!??!

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

this shouldn't've happened in the 1st place, EVGA didn't do thermal testing at all?!!??!

They most likely didnt do external testing nope.

But yeah why putting a coverplate ontop of the vrm area in the first place?

Not sure if it is a well thought out design here.

2 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

But yeah why putting a coverplate ontop of the vrm area in the first place?

that plate has pad between the VRM and it also between it and VRAM chips - but that appears to not be enough to dissipate the heat

fuck evga they are so basic, hate em, asus strix all the way its not only cheaper but has rgb??? I know some people hate rgb but u cant deny that when people put on rgb on pc tech the price sky rockets why would i buy a basic evga no rgb vs rgb and triple fan cooler card thats cheaper. ASUS killed it this gen imo

Just now, zMeul said:

that plate has pad between the VRM and it also between it and VRAM chips - but that appears to not be enough to dissipate the heat

Obviously not indeed.

Normaly EVGA makes decent cards.

And you would expect that they did extensive tests on these particular cards.

Strange.

1 hour ago, Zeeee said:

I know some people hate rgb but u cant deny that when people put on rgb on pc tech the price sky rockets 

Um... yeah you can. You don't add the "illumination" as a special bling effect and raise your cost by $XYZ amount. That's not how it works. It especially doesn't sky rocket. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Um... yeah you can. You don't add the "illumination" as a special bling effect and raise your cost by $XYZ amount. That's not how it works. It especially doesn't sky rocket. 

What do you mean? I know adding rgb isnt expensive but thats just how companies market... what do you mean? have you never seen rgb ads everywhere im saying thats how they do things price it higher with rgbs vs no rgb 

1 hour ago, Zeeee said:

What do you mean? I know adding rgb isnt expensive but thats just how companies market... what do you mean? have you never seen rgb ads everywhere im saying thats how they do things price it higher with rgbs vs no rgb 

I think I misunderstood you. As I understood, you said when you have RGB in your rig, the price skyrockets based only on the RGB, aka the whole system is worth more because it has light in int. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I mean we all have been shitting on companies for years not putting proper vrm heatsinks in place... (290 anyone?)

Not impressed EVGA... I thought you learned this lesson ages ago.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

why does this shit keep happening with Nvidia cards?

Does it though? The most recent VRM scandal I remember was with Hawaii cards without proper heatsinking... (outside of a little bs cold plate redesign required for fiji)

But to answer your question, people have much higher quality expectations and standards for the high end cards and that market is currently 100% dominated by Nvidia.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Does it though? The most recent VRM scandal I remember was with Hawaii cards without proper heatsinking... (outside of a little bs cold plate redesign required for fiji)

But to answer your question, people have much higher quality expectations and standards for the high end cards and that market is currently 100% dominated by Nvidia.

happened with Titan X (Maxwell), happened with Titan Z, happened with a couple of 780s or 780Tis (mostly low end ones)

As for Hawaii cards, uhm, the ones who were affected was from ASUS and Gigabyte from what i remember, both of those brands should NEVER be considered when purchasing a Radeon product. They just recycle GTX series heatsinks for their Radeon card, thus the heatsinks arent remotely able to handle the heat produced by a car that has nearly 2x the TDP of the GTX card the heatsink was designed for.

Hey everyone,

I installed 2 EVGA 1080 FTW GFX cards a couple weeks ago, and then I hear this! :(

Can anyone tell me how serious of an issue this is? Many of the experts seem to think it's not that big of a deal and is nothing to really worry about because it's within acceptable temp ranges.

Do I really need to have these thermal pads installed? I will have to pay to get them installed. I think I have a 3 year warranty so can't I just RMA if this becomes a problem? I don't really want to believe the people posting things about sparks/flames shooting out of their EVGA GFX cards.

12 hours ago, zMeul said:

With this being said, EVGA understands that lower temperatures are preferred by reviewers and customers.

During our recent testing, we have applied additional thermal pads between the backplate and the PCB and between the baseplate and the heatsink fins, with the results shown below. We will offer these optional thermal pads free of charge to EVGA owners who want to have a lower temperature. These thermal pads will be ready soon; and customers can request them on Monday, October 24th, 2016.  Also, we will work with Toms Hardware to do a retest.”

Thanks,
EVGA

Yeah, I have heard "free of charge to EVGA owners" before. Then they throw in the shipping and tax charges, but that doesn't matter as "EVGA does not ship to all Countries."

Does anyone know what thickness the thermal pads are?

6 hours ago, Zeeee said:

fuck evga they are so basic, hate em, asus strix all the way its not only cheaper but has rgb??? I know some people hate rgb but u cant deny that when people put on rgb on pc tech the price sky rockets why would i buy a basic evga no rgb vs rgb and triple fan cooler card thats cheaper. ASUS killed it this gen imo

EVGA support >>>>>>>>>>> Asus support from what I've heard. Have you ever heard Asus do anything like this?

10 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

Hey everyone,

I installed 2 EVGA 1080 FTW GFX cards a couple weeks ago, and then I hear this! :(

Can anyone tell me how serious of an issue this is? Many of the experts seem to think it's not that big of a deal and is nothing to really worry about because it's within acceptable temp ranges.

Do I really need to have these thermal pads installed? I will have to pay to get them installed. I think I have a 3 year warranty so can't I just RMA if this becomes a problem? I don't really want to believe the people posting things about sparks/flames shooting out of their EVGA GFX cards.

You know it's easy to apply thermal pads? Also, they're free... The sparks and flames people are describing are the VRMs burning out probably. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

EVGA support >>>>>>>>>>> Asus support from what I've heard. Have you ever heard Asus do anything like this?

The best service that I have had with Asus was they helped to step-by-step ensure that my computer didn't have a single Asus component.

43 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

Hey everyone,

If you are a normal user just playing games and doing content creation don't get the pads.

If you're obsessed with running furmark or coin mining or f@h gpu all day every day, then get the pads.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers