EVGA responds to hot VRM area on GTX 10 series

zMeul

Shame on EVGA for not testing such situations before. Kudos to EVGA for addressing the issue and will hopefully never make this mistake again. 

I wonder if this will result in a class action lawsuit like the 970 one.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

3 minutes ago, Tech Inquisition said:

People and their lawsuits... EVGA have provided the required response and solution...

Bull! If they can sue then they'll sue, it's the American way! 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Yeesh, I wasn't aware it was that bad.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

And that people is why manufacturers should be given shit when a component goes over 100oC, regardless of the products stated safe thermal limits.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, Tech Inquisition said:

People and their lawsuits... EVGA have provided the required response and solution...

I will believe that if EVGA actually sends them.

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

If only they had installed the thermal pads., that would have totally fixed the problem. Right?

I don't see any PCIe power cables, but the card still shouldn't do that.

30 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

I will believe that if EVGA actually sends them.

If only they had installed the thermal pads., that would have totally fixed the problem. Right?

I don't see any PCIe power cables, but the card still shouldn't do that.

Very sure the PCIe power cable isn't plug in. Also the PC was just started. Probably it's still booting. No way it's running stress test or Furmark.

Just a hoax for the five minute internet fame.

Just now, Deli said:

Very sure the PCIe power cable isn't plug in. Also the PC was just started. Probably it's still booting. No way it's running stress test or Furmark.

Just a hoax for the five minute internet fame.

Faulty electronics can and does explode during POST. It is unrelated, but I doubt it was a hoax.

On 10/22/2016 at 9:53 PM, HungryHamster said:

Thank you very much for your advice.

I am just a normal gamer and I have done no overclocking so I hope there will be no issue.

I really wouldn't chance it. The temps are most likely not within acceptable ranges when you consider that the ones observed are on the back of the PCB and not on the VRM's themselves. Also consider that these results were seen with ambient temperatures of 22C and on an open test bench. Your SLI setup will easily get hotter than that even with decent airflow.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

Hi,

Sorry if there is already a answer for this but I didn't find anything clear.

From what I understand, every ACX cooler are impacted by this except the Classified ?

Are we sure about this ? The Classified has the same ACX Cooler so I don't understand why it doesn't have this problem.

I ordered a Classified so this really worry me, should I cancel ?

Thanks for the answers.

5 minutes ago, Svelsien said:

Hi,

Sorry if there is already a answer for this but I didn't find anything clear.

From what I understand, every ACX cooler are impacted by this except the Classified ?

Are we sure about this ? The Classified has the same ACX Cooler so I don't understand why it doesn't have this problem.

I ordered a Classified so this really worry me, should I cancel ?

Thanks for the answers.

Unless you were planning on overclocking the schnozzle out of the card, you should cancel it anyway and get a FTW or an ACX SC.

That card is not for casual overclockers.

14 minutes ago, Svelsien said:

The Classified has the same ACX Cooler so I don't understand why it doesn't have this problem

Classified has the VRM MOSFETs further away from the VRAM chips:

OyVd8mK.png

but it uses same mid-plate design as the other ACX cards - I would not dismiss this right away as not being affected; tests need to be done on this card too

I would still add thermal pads between the radiator and the mid-plate and in between the back of the PCB and backplate

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Unless you were planning on overclocking the schnozzle out of the card, you should cancel it anyway and get a FTW or an ACX SC.

That card is not for casual overclockers.

This is a bad Card if I don't overclock ?

Is there a better card between the FTW and the ACX SC ?

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

Classified has the VRM MOSFETs further away from the VRAM chips:

OyVd8mK.png

And just because of that there is no problem with the overheating ?

I kinda wonder why they didn't do the same thing with the others...

Thanks for your answer !

1 minute ago, Svelsien said:

And just because of that there is no problem with the overheating ?

I kinda wonder why they didn't do the same thing with the others...

Thanks for your answer !

I would not call it "not a problem"; I've updated my previous post

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I would not call it "not a problem"; I've updated my previous post

Alright, then, thanks for your reply !

I don't know if I should stick with EVGA or choose someone else...

1 minute ago, Svelsien said:

This is a bad Card if I don't overclock ?

Is there a better card between the FTW and the ACX SC ?

Everything after the FTW is paying for extra features, not extra performance. I'd argue everything after the ACX 3.0 SC is that as well since the clock speeds are minimal enough to not even matter (it's a 13MHz boost on core and memory clocks between the ACX 3.0 SC and the rest of the lineup above it).

So yes, getting a Classified and doing nothing with it is pissing money away. That $80 you could save getting the FTW version (which is still a card meant for tweaking, just not as much) you could easily upgrade something else if this were a new build.

19 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Everything after the FTW is paying for extra features, not extra performance. I'd argue everything after the ACX 3.0 SC is that as well since the clock speeds are minimal enough to not even matter (it's a 13MHz boost on core and memory clocks between the ACX 3.0 SC and the rest of the lineup above it).

So yes, getting a Classified and doing nothing with it is pissing money away. That $80 you could save getting the FTW version (which is still a card meant for tweaking, just not as much) you could easily upgrade something else if this were a new build.

Thanks for the precise response, appreciate it.

Probably going to change...

Should I still stick with EVGA?

Except for this overheating problem I didn't heard negative reviews

3 minutes ago, Svelsien said:

Thanks for the precise response, appreciate it.

Probably going to change...

Should I still stick with EVGA?

Except for this overheating problem I didn't heard negative reviews

I would say so. The other AIBs are doing something similar anyway. MSI's Gaming X for example is also a tweaker's card.

39 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I would say so. The other AIBs are doing something similar anyway. MSI's Gaming X for example is also a tweaker's card.

Alright

Thanks again you were really helpful !

update Nov 02: http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

EVGA has done some further investigation and decided that all the cards with ACX 3.0 cooler will be issued vBIOS updates to adjust the fan curve

apparently EVGA prioritized acoustics over thermals

full EVGA statement:

Recently, it was reported from several sources, that the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW PWM and memory temperature is running warmer than expected during Furmark (an extreme stress utility).

EVGA has investigated these reports and after extensive testing, below are our findings:

• On ACX 3.0, EVGA focused on GPU temperature and the lowest acoustic levels possible. Running Furmark, the GPU is around 70C +/- and the fan speed is running approximately 30% duty cycle or lower.
  • However, during recent testing, the thermal temperature of the PWM and memory, in extreme circumstances, was marginally within spec and needed to be addressed.

Conclusion: EVGA offers full warranty support on its products, with cross-ship RMA*, and stands behind its products and commitment to our customers.

To resolve this, EVGA will be offering a VBIOS update, which adjusts the fan-speed curve to ensure sufficient cooling of all components across all operating temperatures. This VBIOS will be released in the next few days and users can download it and update their cards directly. This update resolves the potential thermal issues that have been reported, and ensures the card maintains safe operating temperatures.

For those users who want additional cooling beyond the VBIOS update, EVGA has optional thermal pads available. This update is not required, however; EVGA will make it available free of charge to any customer who is interested. To request the thermal pad kit, please visit www.evga.com/thermalmod.

Any customer who is not comfortable performing the recommended VBIOS update, may request a warranty cross-shipment* to exchange the product to EVGA for an updated replacement.

All graphics cards shipped from EVGA after 11/1/2016 will have the VBIOS update applied.

cards affected:

pdS1A1W.png

cards not affected: Founders Edition, blower type, HYBRID and HYDRO COPPER

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

Thanks for the update.

Unless there are also other changes the VBIOS update won't affect me as I have been running a custom fan curve anyway.

The card idled far too hot with the stock fan curve, it is good to see EVGA changing this.