Apple to release 55" and 65" 4K TV's for $1,500 to $2,500?

Kirihuna

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/21/analyst-claims-apple-launching-55-and-65-inch-4k-television-late-next-year/

Bloomberg shared the report, claiming the displays will have a frameless design with suppliers including LG for display panels, Samsung for graphical processing, and Corning's Gorilla Glass 3 for glass covers with units priced from $1,500 to $2,500. Foxconn would be used for final assembly for initial delivery in the fourth quarter of 2014, according to the analyst. 

My 50" smart TV was 120Hz and 1080p, paid about $1,000.

Analysts are saying that a 120Hz, 4K TV with Apple TV STB's function in a TV will cost only about $500 more than that?

I find that far fetched, but if that happens, I will be shocked and considering it not because it's Apple, but because it's a pretty good price for a 4K TV. 

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Wow. Was not expecting such a price drop this early.

4K is happening ^_^ I'll be super excited if this is true.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

If Apple can get 4K down to that price and still have their big profit margins that they require, I will be shocked!

They could probably have a tiny profit margin, but if they do it, they'll have tremendous sales, it'll kick start their apple tv section, get a reliable following willing to purchase their tvs in a upgrade cycle like phones, (obviously the tv ugc is longer), and they'd make probably the same amount of profit if they over charged for it, because of the massive increase in sales.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Won't surprise me if they do release 4K panels soon, though that price sounds a bit hyped. 2500 for the 55 inch 4000 for the 65 sounds more like it.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

This great however 4k isnt supported well at all. the only 4k stuff i can get is wallpapers and play some games, that is about all that can be done on 4k at the moment. I remember when i got a 1080p 50inch as my dad was like screw it. Nothing was supported in hd so it looked baaad.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

For 4th quarter 2014 it BETTER be that cheap. Try actually reading the article guys....

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Apple always has a lot of ideas in the works (they can afford to bring many of them into prototypes as well.) 

But, I do not imagine that Apple is going to enter the TV market unless it finds a significant way to distinguish itself from the rest of the market. If the only thing cool about the TVs is their resolution/price, Apple is not going to bring them to market.

Follow me on Twitter!

Technology Journalist at TechnologyTell, NextPowerUp, and others. 

This is obviously a lie. Apple never release anything cheap.         :)

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

For 4th quarter 2014 it BETTER be that cheap. Try actually reading the article guys....

I doubt 4K monitors / TVs will drop in price that dramatically in a year. 

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

apple 4k tv's at that size for those prices........I'll buy that for a dollar!!!!

They could probably have a tiny profit margin, but if they do it, they'll have tremendous sales, it'll kick start their apple tv section, get a reliable following willing to purchase their tvs in a upgrade cycle like phones, (obviously the tv ugc is longer), and they'd make probably the same amount of profit if they over charged for it, because of the massive increase in sales.

They could take the whole small profit margin and make it up in volume strategy and it might work out, but its a risky strategy long term and it's not something Apple does. Apple does big profit margins with everything they make, this way they can have a small percentage of the market and still make lots of money. Apple has been very successful with this business model, I don't see them changing it now.

Now all we need is 4k content

True, they sell 85" 4K Samsung TV in a local store for €34.999, but the chanels look so bad that nobody, even the richest man in the world wouldn't buy it. I wonder how's the quality in America, but here it's awful. Also there aren't any 4K movies available...

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

True, they sell 85" 4K Samsung TV in a local store for €34.999, but the chanels look so bad that nobody, even the richest man in the world wouldn't buy it. I wonder how's the quality in America, but here it's awful. Also there aren't any 4K movies available...

We're still trying to adopt 1080p for most TV stations... 

A lot have 720p or 1080i. 

4k - $1500

Aww-Yeah-meme.png

now give me my 4k 120hz gsync Oled monitor

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

If it is true, then apple deserves a hug.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Am I the only one who doesn't see a point in having a 4k tv?

There is nothing broadcasted in 4k yet iirc and 1080p looks good enough from your couch. 4k monitors around 25" is what people need. 

I seriously have no idea why panel manufacturers aren't making any. The first one to get one out there will be extremely popular. And gain a pretty big following. 

I think Bloomberg dropped a 0.  Probably more like $15,000 to $25,000 :P .  That much gorrilla glass would costs hundreds of dollars alone...

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Am I the only one who doesn't see a point in having a 4k tv?

There is nothing broadcasted in 4k yet iirc and 1080p looks good enough from your couch. 4k monitors around 25" is what people need.

I seriously have no idea why panel manufacturers aren't making any. The first one to get one out there will be extremely popular. And gain a pretty big following.

Calling it now. Google will be the first to broadcast 4k

Praise Duarte!

At the rate TV stations are adopting 1080p I don't see 4k being mainstream for at least 5 more years ... if not more. TV is abysmal here in Canada.

Calling it now. Google will be the first to broadcast 4k

Well they sure have the gigabit infrastructure to do so.

Also if true this is the best thing Apple has done in a while.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Yes!! Now we just need oled :) If it's going to be that cheap in the 4th quarter clearly samsung and lg will be bringing out just as cheap or cheaper tvs before then and remember they are talking about 50" tvs people are starting to get 70" and 80" tvs so they will still probably be a bit expensive it's kinda like when 1080p came out 40" had a decent price but if u wanted 55" or 60" u would pay for it and also to that guy saying we are still trying to adopt 1080p I don't know what store u are looking at or country but in Aus everything is 1080p we are far past the adoption of 1080p!