Samsung to Note 7 owners: Here's an extra $100 for your phone

captain_to_fire
7 minutes ago, Arri said:

A good way for Samsung to stop customers leaving for Apple.

I can't remember when the S7 was released (i think its annual release is in spring no?) so Samsung was going to discount these phones anyway. Doesn't hurt to do it a bit earlier. 

it's pretty early in the year, so i think it's a nice incentive. but for those waiting for the s8, this might not be a good way tbh.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

If anything, this entire thing has made me trust Samsung products more.

They were quick to not only recall it, but recall it twice. On top of that, they are actually giving refunds with an extra 100 dollars in bonus?

If it was some other company, perhaps a fruit one, then I would fully expect there to be several months of "you're charging it the wrong way" and then you get a free oven glove as an apology.

Really bad news that they started blowing up, but I think it would be hard for Samsung to have done more than they did to fix the problem.

7 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Its not safe its stupid. Samsung doesn't have batteries in their SSDs and they make everything in house, the reason the phones had issues was cos they didn't make the battery packages themselves.

You know, if it was just the note 7 going boom i'd not have cared, but from the background i come, hearing about the flaws in said exploding washing machine is uninviting to say the least.

It shows a complete lack of care for quality, which is okay for a cheap laptop like i have (samsung RC530) but seeing they go as far as cheaping out on load bearing components of a washing machine is a big no, and the complete lack of effort of fixing said issues arent helping the situation.

This mess kinda helped me decide between which brand SSD i'd be getting for before mentioned samsung laptop, and however unrelated these issues are, i did not choose for samsung.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

If anything, this entire thing has made me trust Samsung products more.

They were quick to not only recall it, but recall it twice. 

I'd agree, if it wasnt for the washing machines.

I guess it shows their priorities...

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

I'd agree, if it wasnt for the washing machines.

I guess it shows their priorities...

Samsung is not one company. The entity that makes washing machines might as well be considered a completely different company.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

This mess kinda helped me decide between which brand SSD i'd be getting for before mentioned samsung laptop, and however unrelated these issues are, i did not choose for samsung.

i give up using words, i think this will suffice:

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Samsung is not one company. The entity that makes washing machines might as well be considered a completely different company.

It's under the same name tho, i have put a full ban on 'conrad energy' batteries because their AA batteries explode (all others are fine)

It's not about who makes it, it's that they are okay with putting their name on it, and dont give a damn if they go koolaid trough the wall. A brand name is important to keep worthy, if they dont care, i honestly dont want to touch anything under said name.

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

Joke is on you, since I'm pretty sure Samsung SSDs do not have any batteries or capacitors inside. Which means that the SSD should not "explode" in any way.

In my opinion, this $100 return would encourage more people to return their note 7 phones. This way, Samsung lose fewer customers, because now they got vouchers to spend, and let's be honest here; there are more than one who loves their note 7 and thinking why would I return it, mines is fine...

9 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

Joke is on you, since I'm pretty sure Samsung SSDs do not have any batteries or capacitors inside. Which means that the SSD should not "explode" in any way.

Well, i'm not saying they'll explode, it's just i have a certain level of standards, and the combo of washing machines performing "rapid unplanned disassembly" and the note 7 going portable campfire was kind of the last drop so to say. I've always liked the samsung products i have, but it is very clear that each new product i get is just slightly less thought trough than the last one. I've since moved away from samsung displays because they're too expensive for what they are, they dont do the laptop thing anymore, i honestly dont give two shits about their phones because IMO they're a bloated mess, and i dont have to explain you my feelings by their newest released desktop if you scrolled down the thread about it.

I'd get a samsung SSD because it's a samsung laptop, and there's a certain sentiment to keeping brands matched, and i felt like it'd be a great moment to venture into the world of samsung SSD's. However with the mess going down ATM, and honestly my laptop falling apart anyways, i've decided to let the samsung story rest and take the opportunity to try out some other brands "with a clean slate" first, since as you can see the samsung slate is quite stained for me at this point.

I may venture into samsung products again at some time, but that time isnt now. I'm sure you understand my view on this, and i'm sure you can come back with something less childish than "hah jokes on you". I'm not gonna spread around that "now all samsung products suddenly suck" and if someone asks me about a samsung SSD they'll get the same explanation as always. But for myself, based on how i've seen samsung evolve since long before there even were SSDs, i'm gonna take a break from samsung products for a while because its just become a stale mehh for each purchase i do.

2 hours ago, kamuixmod said:

Is it for EU too or just the US?

If you're wondering for your own sake, contact the place you got the phone from, they'll tell you with certainty.

12 minutes ago, bigneo said:

In my opinion, this $100 return would encourage more people to return their note 7 phones. This way, Samsung lose fewer customers, because now they got vouchers to spend, and let's be honest here; there are more than one who loves their note 7 and thinking why would I return it, mines is fine...

but there are 40 percent of people who still wouldn't buy a samsung and would actually jump ship to an iphone. doubt a voucher would change their minds tbh.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

but there are 40 percent of people who still wouldn't buy a samsung and would actually jump ship to an iphone. doubt a voucher would change their minds tbh.

Agree here, but regardless, Samsung is desperate :D

28 minutes ago, bigneo said:

Agree here, but regardless, Samsung is desperate :D

i mean at least samsung cares about their customers. they're giving them one last try at a samsung phone with the 100 dollars off the s7/s7 edge.

I just wonder what an actual issue might be, like some kind of short circuit happening cause of bad connections between battery and phone or just that they pushed battery too much these days. But media as is overblowing everything, wasn't it just a small portion of all phones that were affected though? I mean I get why they're recalling them all cause they can't find the actual issue yet.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

All those S7/Edge owners are wishing they'd gotten a Note 7 now LOL. Just to go back down to their phone with an extra $100.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

17 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Article from CNET: https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-recall-galaxy-note-7-again-consumer-product-safety-100-dollars-credit/

I don't think it's worth the risk for a paltry $100. Would $100 be enough to win customer trust? I don't think so. If I own a Note 7, I'd return it and have it exchanged for something like like a LG V20 or iPhone 7. But how about you guys in the LTT forum who previously owned a Note 7, is $100 enough?

The only reason I went with the Note 7 to start is because they made enough tweeks to the UI and added enough extra features that I actually like it. I fucking hate their regular UI and will never own a normal Galaxy line device. Even if I hadn't already ordered my replacement phone, $100 is not enough to make up for the time that I have wasted with the dual recalls and figuring out what phone I want to replace it. (I'm getting an iPhone 7 Plus - my first iPhone - because US Cellular has shit for options right now) If I had spent the hours I sat in the store dealing with it, I would have easier made more than $100. I'm hoping that I'll like the 7 Plus as much as I think I will, despite the lack of 3.5mm jack.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

4 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I just wonder what an actual issue might be, like some kind of short circuit happening cause of bad connections between battery and phone or just that they pushed battery too much these days. But media as is overblowing everything, wasn't it just a small portion of all phones that were affected though? I mean I get why they're recalling them all cause they can't find the actual issue yet.

From what I have read, its something to do with one of the battery circuit control chips that regulates how quickly the battery can charge/discharge. It also has something to do with the battery itself, because they used a newer battery technology in the Note 7, which is why they were able to fit such a large capacity battery in the phone. I can try to find the articles I was reading last week, but it might be tough. Either way, I hope they take this setback and make the Note 8 an absolute killer.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

5 hours ago, terrytek said:

I'm one of the people that is jumping over to iPhone, but not because I now hate Samsung. It's simply because US Cellular currently has shit for phone options in store and I can't afford to outright buy a new phone out of pocket right now. If I wind up liking this 7 Plus I may stick with it, or if I wind up not liking it I might just save up for about 6 months and then buy something like the Xperia XZ or something.

END OF LINE

1 minute ago, DevilishBooster said:

From what I have read, its something to do with one of the battery circuit control chips that regulates how quickly the battery can charge/discharge. It also has something to do with the battery itself, because they used a newer battery technology in the Note 7, which is why they were able to fit such a large capacity battery in the phone. I can try to find the articles I was reading last week, but it might be tough. Either way, I hope they take this setback and make the Note 8 an absolute killer.

Yeah, about circuit issue I heard it about the first time the problem happened. Also later there were mentions around about battery tech. But it's not like they have some huge capacity really. Smaller phones came with much larger capacity with no issue so it's odd.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

11 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

8 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah, about circuit issue I heard it about the first time the problem happened. Also later there were mentions around about battery tech. But it's not like they have some huge capacity really. Smaller phones came with much larger capacity with no issue so it's odd.

It seems like the real issue is the battery being to tightly fitted in the phone, the phones rounded edges cause the cells to bend and touch each other

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/10/12/galaxy-note-7-fire-explanation-photo/

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

It seems like the real issue is the battery being to tightly fitted in the phone, the phones rounded edges cause the cells to bend and touch each other

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/10/12/galaxy-note-7-fire-explanation-photo/

Ow, that makes sense... Cause for some time now batteries are packed soft like chocolate and in hard shell like before in older phones. But wow =/
Though what's with Samsung saying their engineering couldn't replicate the issue? Who knows, can't wait to hear from them. 

I'm a Note 7 owner from Tmobile. Thanks for posting this. Considering getting the S7 Edge and also looking into other non-Samsung options. This will have been the (4th!) phone I'll have to activate in less than 2 months. First Note 7, loaner S7 from Tmobile, replacement "good" Note 7, and now whatever phone I replace the replacement with. This is getting very tiring, as it eats a full day to completely setup and sync a new phone. At least they are offering the $100, I might just take the bribe. Still, in the future, I'm not buying any new smartphone until it has been out on the market for 2-3 months. Tired of all the hassle and lost time to my business and personal life.