I don't want to give up my Note 7. What happens if I keep it?

Go to solution Solved by KWelz,

I asked Verizon the same thing today.  Both the Store manager and a lady on the CS line told me that due to the issue they are offering indefinite exchanges on the Note 7.  All accounts with one are considered eligible for an upgrade immediately and the phone can be exchanged with the fees waived.  

So I love my note 7, it's perfect for me. It works perfectly fine, I love how it feels in my hand, and I love and use all the features it has to offer. What happens if I keep it? And I mean besides getting into an argument with a bunch of my family members about my safety. 

I got mine from Verizon and I pay for the protection plan, so I was told I am allowed to replace my note 7 at any time because the phone has a defect. I'm pretty good at taking care of my devices, I haven't broken a device's glass screen in over 5 years, but if I keep the phone and like a month or so later I crack the screen or the phone actually ends up exploding, can I still get the phone exchanged? I know I won't be able to get another Note 7, but will I still be able to get a refund so I can do the exchange?

7 minutes ago, rayschrantz said:

will I still be able to get a refund so I can do the exchange? 

This is probably something only your carrier or particular store you visit can accurately answer. Even then, things can change from what they are now.

Worst-case scenario IMO, they tell you you had ample warning and chances to exchange the device if it ends up on fire. Most likely scenario, you get a nice hand warmer this winter and they exchange it through your protection plan for a similar device. Best case, you don't experience any issues whatsoever with device. 

OK, it'll probably not fail given the actual failure rate so far, but it's still more likely to fail than most other devices.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

I as well have a Note 7 that I works perfectly.  I still plan to return it as resale value is and will probably continue to be low.  Better to return it and get full value now than the excessively low value I'll received when I try to sell a phone that nobody is sure about.

16 minutes ago, rayschrantz said:

So I love my note 7, it's perfect for me. It works perfectly fine, I love how it feels in my hand, and I love and use all the features it has to offer. What happens if I keep it? And I mean besides getting into an argument with a bunch of my family members about my safety. 

I got mine from Verizon and I pay for the protection plan, so I was told I am allowed to replace my note 7 at any time because the phone has a defect. I'm pretty good at taking care of my devices, I haven't broken a device's glass screen in over 5 years, but if I keep the phone and like a month or so later I crack the screen or the phone actually ends up exploding, can I still get the phone exchanged? I know I won't be able to get another Note 7, but will I still be able to get a refund so I can do the exchange?

I heard they do full refunds

Chances are it will eventually get the update capping the battery, samsung may even release another one disabling the phone completely
Either way if it blows up any damage is your doing as you are aware of the risk

Edit; at the end of the day its honestly up to you, im just stating stuff like the warranty is out of the question

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Other issues will be go total lack of 3rd party accessories (after initial clear out) and replacement parts.. 

I get that, but do you think I would still be able to get a full refund a few months from now?

1 minute ago, rayschrantz said:

I get that, but do you think I would still be able to get a full refund a few months from now?

Probably not. And frankly, I don't see it being worth the risk of it blowing up in your face/pocket (no matter how small that risk may be, it's still there). I especially don't see a reason to keep it when something like an S7 Edge is so similar (but not a fire hazard).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just be sure to use the included charger, not the third party one, you should be fine.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Probably not. And frankly, I don't see it being worth the risk of it blowing up in your face/pocket (no matter how small that risk may be, it's still there). I especially don't see a reason to keep it when something like an S7 Edge is so similar (but not a fire hazard).

Yeah, I know, I just hate micro USB cables and was really happy with USB-C.

20 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

OK, it'll probably not fail given the actual failure rate so far, but it's still more likely to fail than most other devices.

Of course there is a risk of the phone exploding, but like he said, the failure rate is really low, it's just higher than other smartphones.

If you went to the store to exchange it, you would get the hopefully non exploding Note 7 right?

Then if you can, just do it. They might have fixed some minor issues too.

15 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

If you went to the store to exchange it, you would get the hopefully non exploding Note 7 right?

Then if you can, just do it. They might have fixed some minor issues too.

There are no "non-exploding" Note 7s. Samsung ceased production because they couldn't fix it. 

18 minutes ago, rayschrantz said:

Of course there is a risk of the phone exploding, but like he said, the failure rate is really low, it's just higher than other smartphones.

It may be low, but it's still not really worth the risk. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

So how will it work if I end up having to exchange it for an S7 and I can't get a refund? 

To be fair both the pixel and the new lg v20 have type c so you shouldn't worry about that. I am in the same predicament. I would only be missing the spen, iris scanning and hdr display. In terms of raw compute performance, the lg v20 looks great, and it has the same scree size. Downside is the camera stills aren't as good for some senario's (video is better also 1080p 120fps, idk how samsung missed this!!!), no ip rating (but mill spec for drop test) and ofcourse your not getting samsung specific apps and i heard lg have bootloop issues. But an extreme plus and why imo better than a pixel XL is the removable battery and can it can take sd cards upto 2TB (vs. 256GB for the note 7/s7).

I too am stuck. 

Edit:

Depending on your carrier, you get the price difference between an s7 and the note and all activation fees/new device fees are waved iirc. Though attempt to get a full refund if you don't wanna stick with samsung. (which i might not as i have no interest in the s7 atm, maybe s8).

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

I doubt they will offer refunds forever - and if it broke or caught fire they'd say its your fault for not returning the phone after you were asked to.

You can keep it and it'd probably be fine, but don't expect any software updates for it, ever. Apps will not be optimised. Samsung could remotely shut all Note 7s down at some point in the future. Too risky (in various ways) imo.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

The honest move would be just to refund them, and credit towards a different Samsung through your carrier. since they have clearly made an arm and a leg profit off of your tiki-torches, I doubt they are going to hurt from this anytime soon. hell. why not go all out? they should just give out bottles of everclear so yall can have some good ol fashioned fun with your firecrackers.

7 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Return it and get a different phone. They will probably Ban it from most Schools, and other places similar to it. Its not worth that risk nor headache.

Yeah, didn't think about that. Airlines already banned them on planes, just get something different, those suggestions were pretty nice, so it's up to you what you want. Just dont get an iPhone 7 they might be exploding too XD.

Quit being hard headed and return the f******* phone. You know you should.

16 hours ago, rayschrantz said:

So how will it work if I end up having to exchange it for an S7 and I can't get a refund? 

I assume you "bought" your Note 7 on subsidy through Verizon. If this is the case, only Verizon can fully answer that.

Unless you bought your phone outright for the full retail close to $1000USD pricetag, Verizon will have to deal with it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I'm switching to the S7 Edge, but I'm going to ask Verizon how long I have to get a full refund so that I can keep it for as long as possible.

Does anybody know if there's a way to make the phone rotate the screen into portrait mode like on the Note 7? That's the one thing that I really can't live without. I use nova launcher in case that is of any importance.

I asked Verizon the same thing today.  Both the Store manager and a lady on the CS line told me that due to the issue they are offering indefinite exchanges on the Note 7.  All accounts with one are considered eligible for an upgrade immediately and the phone can be exchanged with the fees waived.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.