Can I use Brita water tho?

Right so it's been a while since I was here, but let's get down to business.

Now that we have that out the way, my water cooling AIO is super turning blue. Now, since it's Swiftech and therefore doesn't suck, if I were to hypotetically drain it and put new water in it, can I use bottled water that's been through a Brita? I'd go out and buy some water, but seeing as I don't actually go out (and buying filtered water is a rip off), is it catostrophic if I just kinda pour some Stop and Shop Acadia water through my brita and call it good enough?

13612789-1000x1000 +Atlantis_Blue-Three-Quarter-458x500.png

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Just now, W-L said:

No you will want specifically distilled water not filtered water or bottled water, as those still contain minerals and other things inside of them. 

But what if I don't go outside my house?

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Just now, The Cool n00B said:

order it online

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

4 minutes ago, d3sl91 said:

You need DISTILLED water. 

Normal filtered water or bottled water is conductive still, and will fry anything it touches. Distilled has a better chance of not doing so. 

But conductive doesn't matter when the loop doesn't leak

3 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

order it online

what a ripoff tho

what a ripoff tho

get a job

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 minute ago, The Cool n00B said:

Like we said distilled water is the best option, and you could order it online and have it delivered in lots of places nowadays.

@d3sl91 All watercooling fluid becomes slightly conductive as it ages as it tends to pick up metal ions from the loop over time. 

2 minutes ago, The Cool n00B said:

-snip-

ok in that case, boil all your water and collect the steam in some container and use that for your water loop

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

1 minute ago, rattacko123 said:

ok in that case, boil all your water and collect the steam in some container and use that for your water loop

yo do you just grab steam with your hands and put it in a loop. not gonna work

2 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

but then my parents will come home and think i'm running a meth lab like no thanks, but pretty good idea... does it matter if the pan I'm using is metal or if I'm cooking pasta in said water/pan? Could probs get a distilling apparatus from my chem teacher...

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Like we said distilled water is the best option, and you could order it online and have it delivered in lots of places nowadays.

@d3sl91 All watercooling fluid becomes slightly conductive as it ages as it tends to pick up metal ions from the loop over time. 

who tf gets water delivered??

6 minutes ago, d3sl91 said:

Normal filtered water or bottled water is conductive still, and will fry anything it touches. Distilled has a better chance of not doing so. 

no it does not

water will pass trough radiator and cold plate and will ionize

but then my parents will come home and think i'm running a meth lab like no thanks, but pretty good idea... does it matter if the pan I'm using is metal or if I'm cooking pasta in said water/pan? Could probs get a distilling apparatus from my chem teacher...

It's not that expensive at the local grocery store or pharamcy, usually it's like a 4L bottle for <$2. 

even using normal tap water (filtered) the interior growth of bacteria, minerals and yuck will accelerate within the loop due to the repeatedly heating and cooling of the coolant/water. there are more processes than just sterilizing the water from boiling.

1) no it needs to be distilled/deionised

2) if you use water you will need to add a biocide such as a killcoil to prevent green stuff from growing and an anticorrosive to prevent the metals in your cheap swiftech cooler from reacting.

3) you should probably buy a premixed bottle of fluid from EK or something which already has everything added to it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

It's not that expensive at the local grocery store or pharamcy, usually it's like a 4L bottle for <$2. 

again, i dont go out Kappa

2 minutes ago, airdeano said:

even using normal tap water (filtered) the interior growth of bacteria, minerals and yuck will accelerate within the loop due to the repeatedly heating and cooling of the coolant/water. there are more processes than just sterilizing the water from boiling.

but shouldn't bottled water not have bacteria and shit in it?

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) no it needs to be distilled/deionised

2) if you use water you will need to add a biocide such as a killcoil to prevent green stuff from growing and an anticorrosive to prevent the metals in your cheap swiftech cooler from reacting.

3) you should probably buy a premixed bottle of fluid from EK or something which already has everything added to it.

but my "cheap" cooler didnt come with a kill coil and it hasnt grown anything, just collected something from the metals, probs flux if Jay had a say

if you are buying drinking water, you can buy deionized/distilled water (same area of the store).

drinking water is not to be 'contained' for many hours of heat.

human biology is a different beast than a closed container of heated microbes, minerals, and additives.

5 minutes ago, The Cool n00B said:

but my "cheap" cooler didnt come with a kill coil and it hasnt grown anything, just collected something from the metals, probs flux if Jay had a say

That's because it doesn't have just water inside, it has a premixed fluid that has all the anticorrosives and biocides in it already.

Swiftech sells this premixed fluid, EK, mayhems, and other companies have premixed fluids too.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just go get it or do the logical thing and go hey parent, I need the gallon of distilled water from ANY GROCERY STORE so I can fix my computer.

Or just order pre-made liquid from Amazon that is delivered to your door. This is the smartest thing to do.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

11 minutes ago, The Cool n00B said:

again, i dont go out Kappa

but shouldn't bottled water not have bacteria and shit in it?

Then go out... you can ask your parents to pick up a bottle when they pick up groceries, there is always an alternative.

Also what cooler are you using because as mentioned you will need a biocide if your using straight distilled water. 

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That's because it doesn't have just water inside, it has a premixed fluid that has all the anticorrosives and biocides in it already.

Swiftech sells this premixed fluid, EK, mayhems, and other companies have premixed fluids too.

roight, gotcha

2 minutes ago, ttam said:

Just go get it or do the logical thing and go hey parent, I need the gallon of distilled water from ANY GROCERY STORE so I can fix my computer.

Or just order pre-made liquid from Amazon that is delivered to your door. This is the smartest thing to do.

i like the way you think, but special water costs $20 from amazon, so I'll hit up newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9AB3T28099

Honestly bottled / filtered water would probably work if you put a biocide or kill coil in it.  It's mineral laden though which might make your res look like shit if the water level drops.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

4 minutes ago, The Cool n00B said:

i like the way you think, but special water costs $20 from amazon, so I'll hit up

Automotive parts supply is good as well, I usually keeps ten liters in the shed for cars.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

31 minutes ago, The Cool n00B said:

Doctor's offices, hospitals, businesses, etc. and anyone who has a fountain...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

How do you get food or essential living items if you never leave your house?

Forget that; ask whoever "delivers" your food and essential living items - to pick you up a bottle of distilled water from wal-mart or wherever the magic food person goes.