Avast aquires AVG Technologies for $1.3 billion, updates brand logo

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Around August of last year. It leaked passwords. It remained dormant for a few months. 

oh yeah... I think that was right before I joined xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh yeah... I think that was right before I joined xD 

And all it shows is that you are not safe from malware just because you don't visit the pages that most likely have it. Any website can be compromised, and it's an ignorant answer to say that one doesn't have to use it because they avoid the websites that tend to be breeding grounds for them.

No one is safe from malware, and security software is not a perfect means either, but it's much better than no security software. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 10/9/2016 at 2:54 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

Around August of last year. It leaked passwords. It remained dormant for a few months. 

Yup turning back on my ad blocker. I don't want to get hit by a drive by download, & i thought this site was safe.

13 minutes ago, Demonking said:

Yup turning back on my ad blocker. I don't want to get hit by a drive by download, & i thought this site was safe.

In the case of this website, I don't know if an ad blocker will stop anything outright unless it also blocks outright malicious attacks. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Ah cool more shady data stealing from users.

AVG is famous for that.

And as far as Avast is concerned they are also pretty good at doing shady things from a remote server to your modem / router.

I think that there are better free solutions then that crap.

Now if only AVG will stop being so intrusive with their software, I might consider using them again.

On 10/09/2016 at 5:07 AM, MilkJugg24 said:

Where the hell did they pull 1.3 billion dollars out of their asses from.

Who pays for avast?

No one ragout pays for Avast. It's more that they make money by advertising and seeking client data. I find so much adware and spyware on clients machines that use avast. Scar makes money from shady practices.

On 10/09/2016 at 4:29 AM, dlink377 said:

People still uses Antivirus nowadays?

I stopped used antivirus since Windows 8. I fully believe on Windows Defender nowadays.

Also, I believe viruses is much lesser now. Probably the focus is changed to ransomware.

I have Windows Defender failed on me though. Some Bitcoin miner got installed on my computer, and I can't delete it at all. It keeps reappearing after few days. At the end, I just lock access to the binaries related to the bitcoin miner, by disallowing SYSTEM user to access it in anyway. I don't know why they even can make SYSTEM user to write and run the file.

Why the hell would anyone stop using antivirus? Windows Defender is alright. But viruses aren't going away  they are still very common; however, adware is now common since it's much more lucrative. But I'm pretty sure Crypto-locker and Crypto-wall are viruses based on their behavior.

9 hours ago, Sintezza said:

Ah cool more shady data stealing from users.

AVG is famous for that.

And as far as Avast is concerned they are also pretty good at doing shady things from a remote server to your modem / router.

I think that there are better free solutions then that crap.

However bad you think AVG was, Otto be much worse now. There are some free options, but those are far and few between. The issue is that these companies want money, and your data always had cash value.

I don't understand why there are so many people who are against antivirus or AntiMalware software. The Internet is a hive of scum and villiany. Can't even go to CNN, Fox News, or BBC without my Amazon shopping list showing up in the browsers advertisement spots. When it chines to internet security, there are a few companies that are trustworthy, and many that are not. Free isn't airways the best option. Avast is a horrible company. And the general lack of Internet Security education is absurd.

Avast used to be good and I used to recommend it. Then it became a PUP. Uninstalled and will not recommend it anymore. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I personaly use Avira atm for my Windows system.

Allthough they also show you little popup from their newest products from time to time.

But they are definitely not as shady as AVG and Avast.

The only annoying thing with Avira is that un-installing can be a bit of a pain.

I personaly think that other good free antivirus options are:

- Bitdefender.

- Panda Free antivirus.

- Sophos.

I might switch to Bitdefender or Panda someday.

For my Linux systems i use ClamTK.

But there is also a Linux version of Sophos eventualy.

8 hours ago, Sintezza said:

I personaly use Avira atm for my Windows system.

Allthough they also show you little popup from their newest products from time to time.

But they are definitely not as shady as AVG and Avast.

The only annoying thing with Avira is that un-installing can be a bit of a pain.

I personaly think that other good free antivirus options are:

- Bitdefender.

- Panda Free antivirus.

- Sophos.

I might switch to Bitdefender or Panda someday.

For my Linux systems i use ClamTK.

But there is also a Linux version of Sophos eventualy.

I stick with the paid. I use Malwarebytes and Kaspersky, but do use a free version of SpyBot Search and Destroy.

For any Americans wanting another domestic brand, Vipre is great, but very expensive. It does come with its benefits though.

Free has its limitations and issues.

15 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I stick with the paid. I use Malwarebytes and Kaspersky, but do use a free version of SpyBot Search and Destroy.

For any Americans wanting another domestic brand, Vipre is great, but very expensive. It does come with its benefits though.

Free has its limitations and issues.

I use malwarebytes and spybot aswell next to Avira.

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:29 PM, xAcid9 said:

Naise, my customers always asked for either Avast or AVG. Now i can say it's the same thing.

personally, I wouldn't suggest either. something like 360 security is nice because it uses multiple databases when scanning.

I use comodo but that can be a little overwhelming for that not so techy

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

personally, I wouldn't suggest either. something like 360 security is nice because it uses multiple databases when scanning.

I currently use 360 Total Security. Great program.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

its my go to for people now though im slightly more paranoid than the normal person. Not that I have any reason to be i just like my privacy.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I think it's adorable how people here think they're above computer security. Maybe you'll change your tune when all your information is compromised and you can't access any of your accounts anymore like what happened to me. And I consider myself very careful.

I always install antivirus, even legit sites can serve malicious code due to hacking. It happens all the time.

Also sounds cool, improvements to Avast are always welcome. It's the antivirus I recommend to most people.

On October 9, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Rune said:

Ew.

So I'm not the only one worried about this?  

Idk why since I've never used either but I'm pretty sure AVG is the better of the two and I have a better impression of it.

So I'm concerned that getting bought out by an inferior competitor will negatively affect AVG and whatever combined product AVAST may release.

On October 11, 2016 at 11:22 AM, MEC-777 said:

Avast used to be good and I used to recommend it. Then it became a PUP. Uninstalled and will not recommend it anymore. 

What makes it a PUP?

I'm not saying you're wrong to think that just curious about your reasoning.

7 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What makes it a PUP?

I'm not saying you're wrong to think that just curious about your reasoning.

Because now it constantly shows popups that take up a significant amount of the screen (IMO) and while you used to be able to turn that off (put it in "gamer mode"), you can no long do this unless you upgrade and pay for it. I get that they need to make money, but going about it this way doesn't work for me. That makes it a PUP, IMO.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

17 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Hmm interesting, i have not looked at that program yet.

1 hour ago, Sintezza said:

Hmm interesting, i have not looked at that program yet.

I would check it out. 

4 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Because now it constantly shows popups that take up a significant amount of the screen (IMO) and while you used to be able to turn that off (put it in "gamer mode"), you can no long do this unless you upgrade and pay for it. I get that they need to make money, but going about it this way doesn't work for me. That makes it a PUP, IMO.

at some point one of the two (i dont remember which one did it) tried to install a butload of *actually PUP, and potentially worse* on my system, as part of an "update". needless to say i nuked all the installs i had, and with this news i'll stay away from both :/

14 minutes ago, manikyath said:

at some point one of the two (i dont remember which one did it) tried to install a butload of *actually PUP, and potentially worse* on my system, as part of an "update". needless to say i nuked all the installs i had, and with this news i'll stay away from both :/

You wouldn't happen to remember which it was that did that do you?

I'm considering getting AVG for at least a few of my computers but I don't want antivirus that does unwanted stupid crap..  

4 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

That makes me happy that I'm considering using AVG and not AVAST.  ?

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

You wouldn't happen to remember which it was that did that do you?

I'm considering getting AVG for at least a few of my computers but I don't want antivirus that does unwanted stupid crap..  

i'll put it like this. i did this "nuke the install off all computers thing" for both of them, i dont remember which was which, but one was the PUP thing, and the other one i dont remember.

21 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'll put it like this. i did this "nuke the install off all computers thing" for both of them, i dont remember which was which, but one was the PUP thing, and the other one i dont remember.

So I have a 50/50 chance I'd install a potential PUP...  ?