Avast aquires AVG Technologies for $1.3 billion, updates brand logo

Avast has now acquired AVG Technologies for $1.3 billion ($25 per share), almost doubling its software userbase to over 400 million. Avast says both brands and software will remain the same for now, but expect a new jointly built product later. From AVG press release:

Prague, Czech Republic / Amsterdam, The Netherlands, September 30, 2016Avast Software, the leader in digital security products for consumers and businesses, today announced it has acquired a majority stake in AVG Technologies after completing the initial offering period of its tender offer for all of the outstanding ordinary shares of AVG Technologies N.V. (NYSE: AVG). Therefore, they will operate as a single company as of Monday, October 3, 2016.

Some things to expect from the acquisition:

• Better threat detection, thanks to a bigger research team on PC and mobile division.
  • Avast will leverage AVG's existing SMB protection subscribers to offer both products.
  • Avast will also tap into the geographical advantages AVG had over Avast.

Some interesting bits from the old PCWorld article:

Less than two-thirds of AVG’s revenue comes from its traditional desktop security product business, and the proportion is declining. Almost one-sixth of the company’s revenue comes from search advertising.

Avast is privately owned and no longer publishes its financial results.

Avast also recently updated its brand logo after the acquisition. Here's the new logo from their press center:

logo-avast.png

Initial announcement, July 7th:

https://press.avast.com/avast-announces-agreement-to-acquire-avg-for-13b

http://now.avg.com/avast-announces-agreement-to-acquire-avg-for-1-3b/

https://blog.avast.com/avast-and-avg-a-future-together

Announcement coverage:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-07/avast-to-buy-avg-for-1-3-billion-adding-security-software

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3092808/security/antivirus-merger-avast-offers-1-3-billion-for-avg.html

Prior news before closing:

https://press.avast.com/avast-extends-its-tender-offer

https://press.avast.com/avast-extends-its-tender-offer-2

https://press.avast.com/avast-receives-all-regulatory-approvals-for-proposed-acquisition

Closing press releases, September 30th:

https://press.avast.com/avast-closes-acquisition-of-avg-technologies

http://now.avg.com/avast-closes-acquisition-of-avg-technologies/

https://blog.avast.com/avast-and-avg-become-one

Logo update blog post:

https://blog.avast.com/the-new-avast-brand-the-story-behind-the-amoeba-and-more

Note: This is my first time reporting news, so let me know if there's something wrong and needs to be fixed.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

6 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Note: This is my first time reporting news, so let me know if there's something wrong and needs to be fixed.

No worries... you've done better than the vast majority of posts :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Naise, my customers always asked for either Avast or AVG. Now i can say it's the same thing.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

So AVG will still exist or?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

52 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

So AVG will still exist or?

Yep, their brand and products will remain the same. The only difference is that the company is now owned by Avast, so expect some changes in the future.

https://blog.avast.com/avast-and-avg-become-one

For our consumer customers, the Avast and AVG brands will remain the same, as we know some of you out there prefer one brand over the other. The underlying engine will be stronger than ever for both user groups. Overall, users will get more from our security products, as we will add features from AVG to the Avast product that we haven’t had there before, and vice versa. We are planning on introducing our first new joint antivirus product early next year.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Just now, demonix00 said:

This is really old news.....

The offer was made in July. But now everything is set in stone, including additional detail in how they will be moving forward.

2 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

Avast Software, the leader in digital security products

THE WHAT!?

Good for them I guess, but I've never seen either AVG or Avast not suck when compared to Kaspersky or BitDefender (yeah, I know, these ones aren't free, but I don't care).

12 minutes ago, crisro996 said:

THE WHAT!?

Good for them I guess, but I've never seen either AVG or Avast not suck when compared to Kaspersky or BitDefender (yeah, I know, these ones aren't free, but I don't care).

Bitdefender has a free version.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Bitdefender has a free version.

That hasn't been updated in 2 years.

Avast is alright, although Avira has better performance.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

8 minutes ago, Hawx said:

As for antiviruses, in my opinion, none are worth using.

Besides, its hard to get a PC virus these days, only if you are clicking on those sidebar ads on adult sites...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

24 minutes ago, Hawx said:

I prefer 360 Total Security. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

20 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Besides, its hard to get a PC virus these days[.]

Legit websites can still be compromised, and this is why I use security software - besides firewalls. LTT(the forum) was infected with malware some time back, and who's to say that it won't happen again, and actually infecting machines next time? 

4 hours ago, crisro996 said:

THE WHAT!?

That's not from me, that's actually from the AVG Blog post.

4 hours ago, crisro996 said:

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/

42 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

As for antiviruses, in my opinion, none are worth using.

Besides, its hard to get a PC virus these days, only if you are clicking on those sidebar ads on adult sites...

This is very naive, it heavily depends on what you're doing.

If all you do is watch YouTube videos and do school work, then it's probably not worth it, but expand your use cases onto anything that isn't a popular or official website, and you'll see how many times an antivirus will save your ass. Mind you, only one infection is enough to potentially cause havoc.

For me, it really helps when you're downloading files from file sharing websites, torrents, and following links on webpages. The statistics page on Avast has been temporarily removed, but it has saved me from multiple sites and files. Those incidents are rare, but I'm glad I had protection when it was necessary.

People still uses Antivirus nowadays?

I stopped used antivirus since Windows 8. I fully believe on Windows Defender nowadays.

Also, I believe viruses is much lesser now. Probably the focus is changed to ransomware.

I have Windows Defender failed on me though. Some Bitcoin miner got installed on my computer, and I can't delete it at all. It keeps reappearing after few days. At the end, I just lock access to the binaries related to the bitcoin miner, by disallowing SYSTEM user to access it in anyway. I don't know why they even can make SYSTEM user to write and run the file.

7 hours ago, dlink377 said:

People still uses Antivirus nowadays?

7 hours ago, dlink377 said:

I have Windows Defender failed on me though. Some Bitcoin miner got installed on my computer, and I can't delete it at all. It keeps reappearing after few days. At the end, I just lock access to the binaries related to the bitcoin miner, by disallowing SYSTEM user to access it in anyway. I don't know why they even can make SYSTEM user to write and run the file.

You just answered your own problem. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 hours ago, MilkJugg24 said:

Where the hell did they pull 1.3 billion dollars out of their asses from.

Who pays for avast?

Some stats from the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avast_Software

As of 2015, Avast controls 21.4% of the global security software market[4] – and according to a company statement, it protects more than 30% of all consumer PCs in the world outside China.[5] Avast's products are available in 45 languages and used by 220 million users worldwide.[6]

And Avast is privately owned, however, CVC Capital has invested $1 billion in February 2014.

http://www.cvc.com/Media-Centre.htmx?mediaitem=9781410021501&tabyear=2014

AVAST Software a.s., the world's leading consumer security software company, announced today that CVC Capital Partners has signed binding agreements for a major investment in the company. The investment, which values AVAST at $1 billion, will position the company to expand its global reach into mobile security and the USA.

AVG is a POS, I tried installing it a few month back and then it did some stupid ass pop-up taking a quarter of the screen, it got uninstalled in less then 5 minutes. I havent used Avast in forever so I dont know how bad they are.

15 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

LTT(the forum) was infected with malware some time back, and who's to say that it won't happen again, and actually infecting machines next time? 

Really? How long ago was that?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Really? How long ago was that?

Around August of last year. It leaked passwords. It remained dormant for a few months. 

16 hours ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

its hard to get a PC virus these days

it's actually surprisingly easy, even the people with the latest update of CommonSense++ catch a bug sometimes, i dont even wanna imagine what my dad's laptop would look like without norton.

(which by the way, norton 2016 is frikkin amazing... i may pick up 2017 to do benchmarks.)

36 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

AVG is a POS, I tried installing it a few month back and then it did some stupid ass pop-up taking a quarter of the screen, it got uninstalled in less then 5 minutes. I havent used Avast in forever so I dont know how bad they are.

i uninstalled both of them at some point, i dont exactly remember why, but one of them was trying to install bloatware, and the other one did something pretty horrid as well. it takes a lot for me to proactively grab my mom's laptop to uninstall a piece of software, but both of them did something that made me take those steps.

Why is it that in any antivirus software thread people feel the urge to barge in and start a pissing contest with how long they haven't used any antivirus software? Literally like every thread has at least one post in it like that.

I used Avira for a while but Avast was pretty decent.