• Polish
    • Czech
    • Ukranian
    • Norwegian
    • Swedish
    • Other

What language do you natively speak?

Reason for this thread:

I'd like to localize some of the programs I have written but I'm not sure where to start in terms of what languages I should try to support.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

German and i'd gladly help you translate things.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I can assist in translating English - Polish, if you choose to support that language.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Reason for this thread:

I'd like to localize some of the programs I have written but I'm not sure where to start in terms of what languages I should try to support.

What about u?

i like trains 🙂

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Reason for this thread:

I think it would be better to ask which language we prefer software in, in that case. For instance, I prefer software in English unless the developer is native in Spanish and originally wrote the program in Spanish. Because even coming from Spanish-speaking developers, if the main version was made in English and then translated, translations typically suck, many sentences are done too literal and make no sense in Spanish, and often things that are called the same in English across different programs receive different translations in each of them. In addition, it is easier to do online troubleshooting when you can search the exact messages, settings, etc you are seeing in English instead of relying on a local community having addressed the issue. Even when my English was far worse than it is now, my "PC English" was already enough to prefer English versions - one thing less to worry about when getting used to a new program (it's not like you need to understand the general meaning of "save" and "load" once you understood what they do in software :P)

Of course, people who don't speak English will still be better off with a translation, but that's why I consider native languages aren't important, but preferred languages are. Spanish support would add 0% to the probability of me using your software, but it will add something to the probability of someone else using it.

Also, always use an explicit language choice, never automate it based on Windows' localization, IP, etc - it can get so annoying, especially when you live abroad / are on a trip, and programs end up defaulting to some third language 9_9

Great, so I'm the only native French speaker here so far... Though it's CANADIAN French, which is very much different from France's French. (God I dislike it when some Americans shows try to depict French Canadians as some stereotypical French twat from France, goes to show how little they cared for accuracy, which might even be racist actually...)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Norwegian is my maternal language, I mostly speak English though. In the very early phase of learning French. 

Dutch, but I wouldn't bother translating to that language IMO. At best you can have someone write a Dutch manual for the program.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Even though I've got Italian heritage, my native tongue is English. I'd consider myself proficient in the language but recently I've been trying to learn some Italian. It's not like I'm ever going to be able to afford a trip to Italy, but I think it'd still be cool. For a while, I also tried learning Russian. 

I have no signature. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

C counts?

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Great, so I'm the only native French speaker here so far... Though it's CANADIAN French, which is very much different from France's French. (God I dislike it when some Americans shows try to depict French Canadians as some stereotypical French twat from France, goes to show how little they cared for accuracy, which might even be racist actually...)

How does Canadian French differ from France French?

English.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 hours ago, tsk said:

Norwegian is my maternal language, I mostly speak English though. In the very early phase of learning French. 

Bonjour, ça va? :P

English is my first language, currently learning Italian and French and will learn Norwegian next year followed by Filipino c: I can already understand quite a lot of Filipino but not speak any of it :c

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

5 hours ago, Magnetorheological said:

English and Cantonese are my primary languages, I speak both fluently.

Please don't be offended by my asking this but what country/countries speak Cantonese?

30 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

How does Canadian French differ from France French?

Written, it's the same.

It's the spoken language itself that's highly different and not just the accent. Kind of hard to explain it in words, there's plenty of videos on youtube about "french canadians vs french france", but in a nutshell, FF (french france) will say the entire phrase, like "Est-ce que je peux avoir du beurre?", a FC (french canadian) would shorten it a little and skip some words, "j'peux tu avoir du beurre?". FF will also incorporate english words a lot more than FC, like they will say say "shopping" for "magasiner", or "stop" instead of "Arrêt", "parking" instead of "stationnement".

Common expressions between the two are completely separate as well, swear words in FC are essentially religious words and are referred to as "Sacré" (sacred).

FC is kind of like the french of old, as it is the French from 300 years ago that evolved independently from France's French. Think about how English was spoken 300 years ago and compare to now, there's quite a bit of differences, it's somewhat similar like that.

Overall, a FF would have trouble understanding a FC due to the difference in the spoken language (and their overall haughtiness...) but a FC wouldn't because a FF is basically just saying the words exactly as they are written. (along with a few english words)

This video somewhat explains it well (except for the Lac Saint-Jean thing and the fact that nobody in their right mind would think Flat-tire is french...)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Swearing lol 

A menace to the scammer world. They hate me wasting their time when they are conning the innocent and giving to the idiots.