Does a good graphing calculator exist?

Dash Lambda
1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

I dont mind a good chuckle, but when a person comes on here and posts "I'm gunna end it" and it slides.

I just worry about the youngsters these days.

Anyways, will they force you to take off your watches and eyeglasses. Cuz we are there already people ;)

I'm rather neutral to that sort of thing myself. I read about it, and have even experienced such incidents among family. While the significance is not to be understated, at the same time, I cannot allow such events to impact my emotions.

Funny thing, I've always wanted a Poke-Gear since the Pokemon Silver/Gold games came out. Would be great if a watch based on that design were to be created, especially if an app to allow for a graphing calculator can be utilized.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I remember I was in a Electrician 1st year exam.

Examiners warned the students, I am sure their teachers warned them too.

A cell phone goes off.

Buh Bye student. Ssee you next year.

Matlab:

Capture.PNG

The last 'calculator' you'll ever need. Assuming you know how to program Matab Code. The above is an example app I made that calculates the deflection of beams that are either simply supported or cantilever.

EDIT:

My go-to is an Nspire CAS, and it suits me just fine.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

5 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

The TI-89 is literally the best thing you can get.

I don't feel like sifting through the 5 pages this thread started, but I was going to say this calculator because it's the best one that's still allowed on the SATs (at least last when I took them, so who knows?)

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Holy guac that is an old calculator. Or is it a PC? Was there any difference back then?

The TI-89/99 has a Motorolla 68000, so it's basically like an 80's computer in your pocket.

The TI-99 may have had more memory or something, but they were basically the same calculator internally.

The only thing you need a graphing calculator for is tests that only allow for graphing calculators, at least in my experience.  Back in high school and in university they'd only let you use those darn TI-89's.  Hated the damn things, and they were so unbelievably expensive.

Not complete but you get the picture: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WY23wV

5 hours ago, ScottThePC said:

A TI-84 Plus Color Edition (CE) should be sufficient if your in high school.

5 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

You don't even need the color, although that is a nice touch ;);)

5 hours ago, ScottThePC said:

Yeah, I like the one without color. If I had the one with color then I would be playing games on it. Calculators are used for school and work, not games. I totally agree.

The color one is nice, both because COLOR and built-in rechargeable batteries. But I too recommend getting the regular edition.

Specifically, I recommend the TI-84 Plus / Silver Edition because it has all the features most would need, unless you're going into University engineering.

And, most importantly, it's the one with the largest third-party game application support so you can waste time get more done.

Calculator-Comparison-Chart-ce.jpg

5 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Nah, it's like saying WHY WOULD I SPEND SO MUCH MONEY ON A MICROWAVE? THE CPU DOESN'T EVEN SUPPORT HYPERTHREADING!

What are you talking about? My microwave can multi-thread approximately 3 Domino's Pizza's in their original delivery boxes.

And if you remove the pizza's from their boxes, my microwave is capable of handling about 9 at a time - just as good as the PS3.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

There's really no need to get anything more advanced than a TI-83 or TI-84. Went through my entire college career (Mech/Aero Engineering) and only ever used a TI-83+. It's great for quick calculations and for certain exams (most math classes and some engineering classes did not allow use of a calculator at all). Anything more complicated was handled by a matlab program or similar.

A fancy calculator is not a replacement for understanding the material. It can be a helpful tool to use at times to speed up math you're already proficient with, but a dependence on it isn't good. I actually found that a calculator slowed me down when it came to exams. Much faster to go through calculations and such by hand on paper than to punch the numbers/equations into the calculator.

I use a TI nSpire CX, it works fine. The only issue is the screen, it is hard to see when sitting flat on a desk.

`

I am a bit late here (5 pages). My gf has an HP G50 and the thing is mad. Even after spending a lot of time with it, I've barely scratched the surface. It comes with a CD that has PDF instructions on 126 pages on it (iirc the number should be right). 

Mind you the price may be different than the one on the web, it costed her 200 euros here. And the thing is huge. It's almost a 7'' tablet size. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

44 minutes ago, TopDollar said:

-snip-

I don't blame you for not thoroughly reading through the thread, but I already talked about that second point.

I hate calculators, but one of the topics my Diff. Eq. class is going over relies on a specific function of the calculator. I don't use graphing calculators, so I didn't have one, so I started looking, and was awestruck by the ancient, overpriced devices.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

7 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I don't blame you for not thoroughly reading through the thread, but I already talked about that second point.

I hate calculators, but one of the topics my Diff. Eq. class is going over relies on a specific function of the calculator. I don't use graphing calculators, so I didn't have one, so I started looking, and was awestruck by the ancient, overpriced devices.

Yeah old ones like the Ti 83 are 17 years old, and the ti 84 is 12 years old, but there are newer ones like the Ti Nspire series, and most of the newer ones just get software updates rather then new hardware.

If you are going into any sort of engineering/science/math field a good calculator is a must.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

2 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

If you are going into any sort of engineering/science/math field a good calculator is a must.

I'm going into comp sci, so in practice a calculator would be somewhat redundant XP

Classes don't follow suit, though.

Either way, I really like the idea of a little phone-sized touchscreen device entirely dedicated to math and science. Something that could natively do most of the stuff Wolfram Alpha does with a more direct interface, perhaps with a reasonable Snapdragon chipset or something like that. I know that purpose could be served by a smartphone app, but there's some strange appeal with a dedicated device...

Actually, I don't even know of an app like that.

34 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Yeah for some reason TI-83s are still being sold for $100 lol, I just picked one up on Ebay for $40 when I got mine.

The only math classes I have had to take in Uni are Finite Math which is more logic than anything, a class about transmission technologies and the math behind it, a simple calc class, intro to stats, and Physics. I haven't had to really use any of the advanced functions of my graphing calculator but I find it easier to use than my scientific calculator, particular when it comes to logs. The Physics classes I took are the ones for general requirements and doesn't go into the calculus aspect. Only engineering students have to take the calc based physics.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

If you have an android phone, just download Wabbitemu (what I use, I've it set up for a TI-84 Plus) or another graphing calculator emulator. For wabbitemu the ROM downloads seem to be broken so you have to download it yourself from another source.

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

I'm going into comp sci, so in practice a calculator would be somewhat redundant XP

Classes don't follow suit, though.

Either way, I really like the idea of a little phone-sized touchscreen device entirely dedicated to math and science. Something that could natively do most of the stuff Wolfram Alpha does with a more direct interface, perhaps with a reasonable Snapdragon chipset or something like that. I know that purpose could be served by a smartphone app, but there's some strange appeal with a dedicated device...

Actually, I don't even know of an app like that.

TI-calculator emulator apps.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 hour ago, BingoFishy said:

-snip-

I'm not talking about an emulator there, I'm talking about an original piece of software with its own interface (not the keypad of another calculator) and a fair bit more functionality.

I kind'a want to write one myself, but I'm not quite that far yet.

Maybe sometime soon...

Emulators do fix the problem of the underlying hardware, though, which is nice.

On 10/2/2016 at 9:00 PM, Dash Lambda said:

That'd be a big calculator.

But I would be the envy of my class, every time the teacher said to use your calculator: *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK*

1 hour ago, Malleotomato said:

But I would be the envy of my class, every time the teacher said to use your calculator: *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK*

Well, for what it's worth...

Ducky Pocket:

Spoiler

XITFru6.jpg

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

Well, for what it's worth...

Ducky Pocket:

Hide contents

XITFru6.jpg

I need this... Don't ask why I just do...

I am laughing to this thread because my college program is basically founded on this land surveying program called Cogo.

The Ti89??? Why would you ever use that? Can you run Cogo on that thing? Is there an RPN mode? Does it add angles in DMS? 

The HP 50g is the mother of all pocket calculators. It doesn't have colour though. But who needs that when you can run COGO?