Apple thinking of making an A10 powered Macbook

a10-chipset-mockup-635x357.jpg

Bits of code inside MacOS Sierra suggest that that Apple may be working on a ARM powered, most likely the A10 SoC, Mac. Tech Tastic, a dutch site, have taken the time to dig trough the kernel of Sierra and have found out that Sierra support give support to a new CPU family labbeled as "ARM Hurricane". The codename may point toward the A10 Fusion SoC or a variation of it considering Apple past nomenclatures for their SoC: A7 was Cyclone, A8 was Typhoon, A9 was Twister. 

macOS-Sierra-kernel-ARM-Strings.png

Another clue that may point toward the existence of a ARM powered Mac is that with Sierra, app submitted by devs on the App Store, Apple is allowed to automatically convert those apps to work on a ARM based platform.

As TechTastic.nl states, developers no longer submit fully compiled binaries.

Instead, intermediary bit code is submitted which Apple uses to compile the binary code for the specific CPU architecture. Should Apple release an ARM-based Mac, developers wouldn’t need to re-submit their existing code nor would they need to add any ARM-specific code in order for their apps to run natively on ARM-based hardware.

“It is probably also one of the reasons why legacy applications have recently been removed from the App Store,” speculates the publication.

The advantages of ARM vs x86 are clear as hinted back in 2014 by Apple's former head of the Macintosh division:

If we follow this line of reasoning, the advantages of ARM-based processors vs. x86 devices become even more compelling: lower cost, better power dissipation, natural integration with the rest of the machine. For years, Intel has argued that its superior semiconductor design and manufacturing technology would eventually overcome the complexity downsides of the x86 architecture.

But that “eventually” is getting a bit stale. Other than a few showcase design wins that have never amounted to much in the real world, x86 devices continue to lose to ARM-derived SoC (System On a Chip) designs.

When reading this first i was ready to just close this off by simply bringing up Surface RT, but being Apple and since normal rules don't apply to Apple they may be able to pull it off, considering that devs also won't have to resubmit their apps to be compatible with it without requiring an inferior framework (yes, shots fired), this may end up a a great solution for the MacBook and even lead to cheaper Mac Mini. What bothers me though is how will this affect Bootcamping or triple booting with rEfit and also what will this mean for those apps that aren't available on the App Store.

source: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/09/30/macos-sierra-code-suggests-apple-could-replace-intel-in-macs-with-custom-arm-chips/ 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

This was bound to happen and as of right now it seems like a brilliant move.

Apple is pretty much the only hardware company right now that has the ecosystem to support such a change.

Maybe it could even force Intel (or possibly AMD?) to up their mobil game. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

didn't MS made a ARM powered Surface and the whole fucking world laughed at it?!

yep ... I triple-double Apple to make a ARM powered MacBook

The only question isn't if Apple will replace intel with ARM, but when. Given Intel's increasingly erratic and unreliable update cycle, I would be more surprised if Apple hadn't been working on their own ARM MacBook all this time. 

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

didn't MS made a ARM powered Surface and the whole fucking world laughed at it?!

That's what i thought at first, but this is Apple, Apple is the special kid who gets a pass on everything it does

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Because MS and Apple are so similar. One been mostly a open platform for a wide variants of hardware, and the other a closed eco-system.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Microsoft didn't execute the Surface RT correctly, that was the problem.

If Apple plays their cards right, they might pull this off.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

The problem here is the Mac App Store. It's not even close to being the success Apple wants it to be like the iOS app store. I only use it for OS X updates, everything else comes from the internet. Chrome, Steam, LibreOffice, the entire Adobe suite, everything.  Those are compiled by their respective developers, not Apple. I doubt many developers will take their time and money to develop for an entirely different architecture when they know it won't sell nearly enough for them to make it worth their time.

What Apple should do is get an x86-64 licence and make their own chips with that.

Ye ole' train

I don't believe this for a second. Apple's software engineers couldn't have been stupid enough to leave ARM code branches in an x86 binary that's shipping in production quality.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just a quick note: I fixed the image in your post(the one displaying sample code) - it's been uploaded directly to the server as it wasn't displaying before.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Just a quick note: I fixed the image in your post(the one displaying sample code) - it's been uploaded directly to the server as it wasn't displaying before.

thanks, tried to edit it three times now, didn't understood why it wouldn't show up

17 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I don't believe this for a second. Apple's software engineers couldn't have been stupid enough to leave ARM code branches in an x86 binary that's shipping in production quality.

What is not to believe? It's there, right on Apple dev page. that link on the image does lead you to it 

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/General/APIDiffsMacOS10_12/Objective-C/Kernel.html

Read title, thought of AMD A10 APU. :P

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

It's a terrible move if you ask me, at least from the consumer's standpoint. Even if the OS runs on ARM, the ARM platform is inherently inferior to x86 and furthermore everyone else who makes mac os software will have to port their stuff over if this is to be more viable than Windows RT tablets. It's not the same as when they moved from PowerPC to x86, this time there are no performance benefits and the industry has no interest in supporting this platform with desktop(/laptop) oriented software. If this ever happens the resulting product will inherently be overpriced garbage with no benefits over the competition.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

The problem here is the Mac App Store. It's not even close to being the success Apple wants it to be like the iOS app store. I only use it for OS X updates, everything else comes from the internet. Chrome, Steam, LibreOffice, the entire Adobe suite, everything.  Those are compiled by their respective developers, not Apple. I doubt many developers will take their time and money to develop for an entirely different architecture when they know it won't sell nearly enough for them to make it worth their time.

What Apple should do is get an x86-64 licence and make their own chips with that.

This is the company that just released a laptop that uses a port practically nobody else (including Apple) is using yet, and then released a flagship phone without a headphone jack. Hell, Apple still isn't using the USB-C port for anything else and they just did a goddamn refresh of that machine.

I don't think they consider practical adoption at all, let alone care about it.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

The last few major releases have been a hot buggy sloppy mess compared to previous levels of polish and shine. I'm willing to believe it

I don't think it's an easy task to convert an entire X86 OS to AR. I think that's more work than Apple's engineer's would want.

Apple is probably the only company I know of willing to play Russian Roulette in the tech world. While most of those chambers are empty, it only takes one. 

The main factor is how reliant OSX is on third party (non Mac store) applications. Mac seems to no longer be the choice of demanding professionals outside of video editing and IOS development, top tier (the Pro line) performance decreases will probably not be a big factor as those that need performance favor workstations, nor is gaming for that matter. 

Unlike Microsoft (which would invariably be shooting itself in the face by going ARM only) Apple commands a tighter leash on OSX, and severing current third party apps to move to ARM may be a sacrifice they're willing to make. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

9 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

What is not to believe? It's there, right on Apple dev page. that link on the image does lead you to it 

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/General/APIDiffsMacOS10_12/Objective-C/Kernel.html

While I will admit I was wrong, this isn't headed to MacBooks. Apple is trying to unify its platforms' looks and feels. I think Apple is aiming more at bringing MacOS to iPhones and iPads in the future.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

One big ass problem that Apple has about app support is not everyone, hell, i'll even say most people, have apps that come outside the mac store, such as the entire adobe cc library and also chrome. Also, i'm pretty sure Adobe would like to not have the big pain in the ass of rewriting their mac libraries to ARM. My brother uses a mini and most of his apps come outside the mac store. 

I'm still of the opinion that a ARM powered mac is fucking suicide even for them, if they are preparing there's still a shit ton they still have to do for the ecosystem to be somewhat ready for the change, and for as much bragging they do about the power of their chips (which yeah its impressive in its own right) there's has to be a good reason why something like complete photoshop with all its features and a altered UI to be better suited for the ipad isn't available for the ipad.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

11 hours ago, zMeul said:

The 1st tablet that comes out was from Microsoft, Bill Gates himself hold it and present it to the world.

And the tablet runs windows XP. The world laughs at it too.

Then we all know what happened when iPad launched when Steve jobs presented it to the world. 

So... there is that. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

11 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

The problem here is the Mac App Store. It's not even close to being the success Apple wants it to be like the iOS app store. I only use it for OS X updates, everything else comes from the internet. Chrome, Steam, LibreOffice, the entire Adobe suite, everything.  Those are compiled by their respective developers, not Apple.

That is a HUGE let down. What do you think about in macOS sierra apple removed supported app from unknown developers? I think apple still is trying to let every dev comes to their eco system. 

Being Apple, no doubt they are trying to get everything in their products from an in-house design. Intel has fumbled the ball several times with chip delays and that probably pisses Apple off (they same way Apple isn't updating their macbooks pisses us off xD).

9 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Unlike Microsoft (which would invariably be shooting itself in the face by going ARM only) Apple commands a tighter leash on OSX, and severing current third party apps to move to ARM may be a sacrifice they're willing to make. 

Yup. I don't think that Apple give a shit about 3rd party apps though. 

I think the ultimate goal for Apple is forcing every developer submit their apps through App Store to complete the eco system, therefore avoid malware as well as virus flooding into macOS. 

For apple what they need to do is to implement a smooth transition, either allow the 3rd party app devs to have a period of time to adjust their apps, or do so without offending the users. I think most of us do not want to find out all of a sudden the apps we downloaded directly from website stopped working in one day. Like adobe suite, alfred, as well as other stuff.