The "I watched LTT for 10 hours so I can build a computer right?" build!

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the "PC Master Race", and I'm in the process of gathering up the parts for my first build. I currently own a Lenovo Y700, but I want to enter the desktop scene. I'm starting out with an odd combination of parts, some of which will be upgraded when I have the money.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/FoolsAnomaly/saved/#view=xVGf7P

Everything on this list is on it's way, except for the GTX 1060. Before someone screams at me for bottle-necking the 1060 with a Pentium, just know that I'm planning to upgrade to an i5 6600K ASAP. I got the Pentium because it was on sale for $35 at Fry's, and I'd like to have it available for other builds I might do.

Additional note: I have a 1TB external HDD already, I'm planning to just use that with this instead of an internal HDD.

So that's about it for now! Everything should be here by Wednesday, and I'll start building then! Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Surface 4 Pro - i5-6300U - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD

Lenovo Y700 - i7-6800HQ - 12GB RAM - 250GB SSD - GTX 960m

Desktop Build - Pentium G4400 - 8GB RAM - 250GB SSD - EVGA SSC 1060 6GB

Not a bad build at all.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

grab a i5 non 6600k as you don't have an overclocking mobo. get a normal i5 or an i7

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Didn't realize I don't have overclocking on this board, thanks for telling me! I'm personally not interested in overclocking anyway, so that works out fine!

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

grab a i5 non 6600k as you don't have an overclocking mobo. get a normal i5 or an i7

i5 6500/ i7 6700. 

Not a bad idea to have a spare lga 1151 chip, if you have issues it's very handy to have a spare CPU to help troubleshoot. 

Get a better psu, I recommend the corsair cx450m. 

Maybe get a better ssd, I literally never new that corsair makes ssd, so I am inclined to believe that it's a lower quality. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

I mean, I would rather you didin't get that EVGA 500W 80+ PSU since it's not great, but since you already got it, use it til it dies.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, bgibbz said:

Not a bad idea to have a spare lga 1151 chip, if you have issues it's very handy to have a spare CPU to help troubleshoot. 

Get a better psu, I recommend the corsair cx450m. 

Maybe get a better ssd, I literally never new that corsair makes ssd, so I am inclined to believe that it's a lower quality. 

Crap. I already have most of these parts ordered. Would you say this is a large enough problem to warrant sending parts back and cancelling orders?

Just now, FalcoThePixel said:

Crap. I already have most of these parts ordered. Would you say this is a large enough problem to warrant sending parts back and cancelling orders?

Can you return it?

1 hour ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Can you return it?

I should be able to. I just cancelled the SSD and the PSU on Amazon, it says that it might not be cancelled in time. Fingers crossed that I won't have to wait to send the parts back and then order new ones!

Just now, FalcoThePixel said:

I should be able to. I just cancelled the SSD and the PSU on Amazon, it says that it might not be cancelled in time. Fingers crossed that I won't have to wait to send the parts back and then order new ones!

No. SSD is not that bad. Usable but still if you can then good

1 hour ago, dexxterlab97 said:

No. SSD is not that bad. Usable but still if you can then good

Good to hear. I probably have the money to order another PSU while the crummy one is on it's way back, but I definitely don't have the money to get another SSD while waiting for the return.

Edit: Damn! I'm not able to cancel my order. I'll be using the Corsair SSD, and I'll order another PSU tomorrow.

Edited by FalcoThePixel

11 minutes ago, FalcoThePixel said:

Good to hear. I probably have the money to order another PSU while the crummy one is on it's way back, but I definitely don't have the money to get another SSD while waiting for the return.

Edit: Damn! I'm not able to cancel my order. I'll be using the Corsair SSD, and I'll order another PSU tomorrow.

SSD is not something that will blow up. It does not vibrate either and the ony thing that matters is quality and durable.

Except Samsung

30 minutes ago, FalcoThePixel said:

Everything on this list is on it's way, except for the GTX 1060. Before someone screams at me for bottle-necking the 1060 with a Pentium, just know that I'm planning to upgrade to an i5 6600K ASAP. I got the Pentium because it was on sale for $35 at Fry's, and I'd like to have it available for other builds I might do.

That's what Pentiums are for. ;)

As far as that PSU goes, I had two rigs powered by them. The one that still has that PSU in it is an i3-4150 (formerly G3258)/GTX 750 Ti rig. Low-ish power, no real strain on the PSU. The one that also ran that exact PSU was also an i3-4150/GTX 750 Ti. When the latter rig was upgraded to i7-6700/GTX 960 on a B150 build recently, it got a beefier PSU in the Seasonic M12II EVO. The leftover EVGA 500W PSU will likely be dropped into a PC I'm picking up this weekend. It'll either be powered by an i3-6100 (can you tell I like i3's?) or an Athlon 5350.

Moral of the story: while your rig is Pentium powered, you're fine with that PSU. When you step up to a 6500 or 6700, it might be worth the added peace of mind to move up to something higher up the food chain. I kind of think that the Seasonic S12II and M12II are the perfect midrange power supplies right now, especially if you stumble across a great deal on them.

Like this week, when the 430W S12II is $40. Or, holy shyte, the 520W M12II EVO is $50 after MIR.

...totally not buying a power supply right now.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Moral of the story: while your rig is Pentium powered, you're fine with that PSU. When you step up to a 6500 or 6700, it might be worth the added peace of mind to move up to something bigger.

Do you think the PSU would be okay for the short period of time when I have a GTX 1060 in there, but no i5? If so, I may just sell the PSU to a friend or something after I'm done with it.

(Also, I love the Senketsu build name, lol.) 

10 minutes ago, FalcoThePixel said:

Do you think the PSU would be okay for the short period of time when I have a GTX 1060 in there, but no i5? If so, I may just sell the PSU to a friend or something after I'm done with it.

(Also, I love the Senketsu build name, lol.) 

Yeah, I think so. Those EVGA W-series PSUs are far from spectacular, and I wouldn't want them running anywhere near capacity for any length of time, but I think you'll be fine with one while the Pentium's in there. If you're planning on doing a ton of stress testing, rendering, whatever that's going to place a constant, heavy load on the CPU, consider upgrading sooner.

Still, though, those Seasonic PSUs are really great deals right now, and even a 430W would be enough for your PC even after the i5/i7 goes in (assuming you don't upgrade other components as well). I'd almost say get one of the Seasonics now. That 520W M12II is a beautiful, reliable rock of a PSU, and it's modular which makes prettifying your case fairly easy.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

So...

1) You can get a better mobo such as the ASRock Hyper lineups. Check this : B150M Pro4/Hyper

2) What about better SSD like 850 EVO?

3) Actually OEM license is not for someone like you. OEM is strictly limited to fully pre-assembled PCs like Dell, HP ones.

You can still activate your Windows license as a valid one, but anyway that is still violating EULA.

3 minutes ago, PenPoint said:

So...

1) You can get a better mobo such as the ASRock Hyper lineups. Check this : B150M Pro4/Hyper

2) What about better SSD like 850 EVO?

3) Actually OEM license is not for someone like you. OEM is strictly limited to fully pre-assembled PCs like Dell, HP ones.

You can still activate your Windows license as a valid one, but anyway that is still violating EULA.

1. I already have my motherboard, too late to return it now.

2. Already ordered the SSD, canceling it would be a pain the butt.

3. I didn't realize I put the OEM license in there instead of the consumer one. Just a mistake!

Should've asked for opinion on parts before you order stuffs.

11 hours ago, Ichi said:

Should've asked for opinion on parts before you order stuffs.

I should've, it's painfully obvious to me now.

17 hours ago, FalcoThePixel said:

The CX550M is cheaper than the 450M atm, so grab that. There other selections of models in that page, avoid the green ones as they're older and lower quality(500W. 600W, 850W).

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

21 hours ago, antisleep said:

The CX550M is cheaper than the 450M atm, so grab that. There other selections of models in that page, avoid the green ones as they're older and lower quality(500W. 600W, 850W).

Just got this one! Thanks a ton for the advice guys, I appreciate it so much.

I'll post some pictures of the build before and after it's done on Wednesday, so stay tuned!

Aaaand it's done! It turned out I was able to get the GTX 1060 in the initial build! The build was a lot more fun than I expected, and the thrill of turning it on is amazing.

Also, I ended up getting the EVGA SSC 1060, which has 2 fans instead of one. I price matched with the single fan model at Best Buy, and the product they gave me was the dual fan model. I didn't realize until I got home, and at that point I just decided I'd keep it. (As specially once I realized the SSC was actually better than the regular one, lol.)

The Thermaltake Core V21 was wonderful to build in. The ability to take off all 6 sides of the case was a godsend. 

I'll post pics here in a little bit!

2 hours ago, FalcoThePixel said:

I'll post pics here in a little bit!

Upload them to your PCpp account under Completed builds so more people can see and just paste the link here.

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud