Old Timers... Warning Old persons comments within! :)

jugster42

I am 44 too, gonna be 45 soon :(

My first PC was also a zx81, then a zx spectrum 128k etc etc... and then first x86 PC was a pentium 90 in 1994/5. Now rocking an i7 6700K as main PC and have various others laying around. I'm still waiting for star trek type shit to start being available, lol... but yeah things are escalating nicely compared to say 8 years ago, especially with storage getting faster and cheaper.

Bring me tech from:-

The matrix

star trek

star wars

and I will die happy B|

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I am only 18 but when I was ~6 I remember that my mother had a windows xp computer that could barely run its OS. We had to use the phone lines to get internet and becaues of the costs associated with using it I was pretty much banned from using it. Before I was that age we only had a tv in our house. Comparing what I have now to that I already feel like I sort of live in my future although I know that there is still a long way to go.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

Any of the "older" crowd remember the pencil mods???

Somehow just remembered that today, can't remember what I overclocked but I clearly remember looking for tutorials and following it xD ... Might have been an older Radeon, back when it was ATI and not AMD.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

13 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Any of the "older" crowd remember the pencil mods???

Somehow just remembered that today, can't remember what I overclocked but I clearly remember looking for tutorials and following it xD ... Might have been an older Radeon, back when it was ATI and not AMD.

I am very familiar with the old pencil mod.  It was on old AMD chips.  I got a little too cocky one time and tried to do something a little more permanent by using something conductive (paste or something) which ended up making contact with the base of the CPU cooler and the rest was history.  I never killed a CPU before or after that.  

It's amazing how much smoke comes from a very tiny burn on the silicon!  

I still have that chip.  It serves as a reminder to never be that careless in the application of conductive material again!!  xD

Im 16 so not really old but everyone (irl) keep saying that im like an 80year old in a young guy's body. (I love history, collect old bicycles, i am a radioamateur, my back and knees are f*cked beyond belief and acording to my doctor the x-rays should have come from an 80 year old guy's journal and not mine because of how bad they look, people Who knew my grandpa are saying "its like meeting him again" when they meet me and i also "look at things the old fashioned way", things should be made to last, not throw away, almost everything was better before when they made things that lastes.)

Oh and for the tech bit, i played my games on a black and White crt from i got my n64 at age 2 (2002) til i got my pc and monitor during the summer of 2015, i Even played games like gta 5 on my ps3 in black and White, the change to 1080p and in colour stunned me, i hadnt seen color TVs that often and didnt really think about the fact that black and White was a thing of the past so i was shocked when i "stepped into the modern world".

Edited by Strando123
Added the tech bit.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

whit 21 im definitely not one of the older ones here , but i have a softspot for old tech , my Collection kinda shows 

IMG_20140812_173216_-150268692.jpg

IMG_20140812_173229_-1355670011.jpg

IMG_20140812_174632_-39862553.jpgIMG_20140813_224122_13819541.jpg

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

I'm 25, so I was kinda born in the middle ground here. I experienced older hardware like MAC G3, we had them as our PCs back when I was about 7. First TV I ever bought for my GameCube was a CRT that cost me 130Euro at the time. I also remember the days of using a LAN line for connecting to the internet. Any time my parents used the phone I would get disconnected while playing Warcraft haha.

I am 17 so most of you in this threat could be my parents. The first PC that I remember using ran Windows 2000 and it was my parent's. I think the GPU (if it had one) in it failed.

I had my second PC for a few months, because it got stolen. It ran XP.

My third PC had Pentium (either 3 or 4) 512MB and some ATI card.

Then in 2010 I got late 2009 MacBook Pro. The fans are squeeling and the HDD is dying, but it's still a ok machine.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

My first computer was an Oric, never got any storage for it so all the games were in a book which you had to type in before you could play anything needless to say it does put me on the "older" side. I still have it and it still worked (but I have misplaced the power supply so can't tell). It did have a coax connection to the TV but its signal is so strong you no longer need the cable the TV picks it up wirelessly. 

Oric1.jpg

I'm 35.5 myself but I liked PCs since I was a child so I do remember even 386 days where I used to type out basic (Or was it qbasic?) games to play at elementary school so I've been into computers since the fairly early 90s.

EDIT: This one in particular was great

Image result for qbasic gorillas

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

EDIT: This one in particular was great

???

You're really getting old, forgetting to add pictures and all! xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

???

You're really getting old, forgetting to add pictures and all! xD

Yeah must have hit ctrl-z before submit or something, it's there now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm probably in the middle of the OP and the youngins here. The first computer I remember was an old green screen apple with a 5.25 floppy. I remember using an old (beige) Mac with Mac OS 8 after that. Then we upgraded to the pink (strawberry) iMacs (and OS 9!). Those were actually super cool in how they came apart. I think you took a screw or two out of the back, then a tray came out with the CD drive and hard drive, among other things. Not a lot of expandability, but cool design nonetheless. 

The funny thing was, during this time we used "Mac Classics" in my typing class in middle school. (Also used to play oregon trail... :) )

Then we upgraded to the first of the "pretty" imacs. The one with the screen on the neck and the half sphere base. That was the computer that I upgraded to os X. Super cool, loved that thing. Then I believe I got a Macbook Pro for college, and anything after that is boring. (And I started building my own PCs after that as well.)

I missed the first real usable computers (and the Tandy/Radioshack things that came before them) however, I love playing with that stuff now. 

im only eleven xD

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Not me personally but my dad is 63 and the first computer he ever saw was when he 13 delivering tortas to a bank in Mexico. They let him go to the back-room where the computer was, he says they used it for punch-cards or something along the lines. He sometimes looks at his phone and says "This phone is more powerful than that one computer from the bank and at fraction of price. I'm really in the future."

theres so many of you old guys out there... ;)

But really, nice thread fun hearing reading(?) these stories :)

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

6 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm 35.5 myself

That 0.5 is the most important info xD

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.