Pc turned off and won't turn on

Sir Tophat V

My Specs are i5-4690k MSI Z97 8GB of ballistic x sports ram Corsair 550W power supply (new to replace a 750w Evga power supply that failed the paper clip test) GTX 970 FTW+ Windows 10

What happened is randomly at night I was using my pc and then it just turns off and won't turn on. I've test a new power supply and nothing. I re built it and nothing. I need help because I'm really confused and I don't know how to fix it :(

I don't know what part I need to replace but causes of this issue could be these reasons

I leave it on for long amounts of time (not a great idea :L)

I have default cooling with my cpu and my pc is in the room with the tumble drier which heats my room up a lot

You're not overclocking a 4690K on the stock cooler, are you?

What's the exact model of PSU? Corsair makes several 550W PSUs. Some of them are solid, and some of them are crap.

*Edit: Do you have a link to a PCPP of your build? Or a list of components inside of it?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

Lol Jk Jk, Maybe the power supply is dead

I got a new psu... unless that doa x.x

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

You're not overclocking a 4690K on the stock cooler, are you?

What's the exact model of PSU? Corsair makes several 550W PSUs. Some of them are solid, and some of them are crap.

nah no over clocking and here

The VS series falls into the "utter crap" range. If that's the new PSU you've tested with, it could easily be the problem.

What you're describing sounds like a power supply issue to me. Do you still have the old EVGA? If so, was the system having this exact problem before you replaced it, or is this new? It's not unheard of for the paperclip test to be performed incorrectly. Not trying to make you feel dumb, just saying that stranger things have happened. If it was a problem with other hardware or the motherboard itself, the system would probably be showing other symptoms instead of (or along with) powering off.

I got this psu because my evga 750w didn't work the paper clip test. What I will do is see if I can get another paper clip and test both psu and report back. Also I'm just worried because I don't really have the money to buy new parts lol

Thanks for the help

Just now, Sir Tophat V said:

I got this psu because my evga 750w didn't work the paper clip test. What I will do is see if I can get another paper clip and test both psu and report back. Also I'm just worried because I don't really have the money to buy new parts lol

Thanks for the help

Was the EVGA PSU having other problems beyond the paper clip test? That's what I'm getting at. If it wasn't having any other problems, that EVGA may well still be fine. Take the VS out and try running the PC with the EVGA. If it still shuts down unexpectedly, then you're probably looking at a problem elsewhere, but any other hardware issue would probably be showing symptoms other than just shutting down.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Was the EVGA PSU having other problems beyond the paper clip test? That's what I'm getting at. If it wasn't having any other problems, that EVGA may well still be fine. Take the VS out and try running the PC with the EVGA. If it still shuts down unexpectedly, then you're probably looking at a problem elsewhere, but any other hardware issue would probably be showing symptoms other than just shutting down.

No I only did the paperclip test so no other problems. Also it doesn't shut down unexpectedly it just doesn't turn on at all, with both PSUs

Just now, Sir Tophat V said:

No I only did the paperclip test. Also it doesn't shut down unexpectedly it just doesn't turn on at all, with both PSUs

What prompted you to do the paperclip test in the first place?

Let's go slightly nuclear here. Open up the PC and disconnect everything from the motherboard except for the PSU, the CPU and one stick of RAM in the slot farthest from the CPU. Unplug all the SATA cables, remove the GPU entirely along with any other PCIe cards, strip it down to nothing. Be sure your 24-pin mobo connector and 4/8-pin CPU connector are in the proper orientation and completely clicked into place. Try to boot the PC. If it doesn't work, swap out the stick of RAM with a different one until you've cycled through every RAM stick you own. If you make it through all of the RAM without the PC booting, repeat the process with the other PSU. If you make it through every stick of RAM on both PSUs without a boot, odds are your motherboard was fried somehow. If you're able to boot with the first stick of RAM, then start rebuilding your system one piece at a time and POSTing it after every component until you find the piece of the puzzle that's preventing you from booting.

Let's go slightly nuclear here. Open up the PC and disconnect everything from the motherboard except for the PSU, the CPU and one stick of RAM in the slot farthest from the CPU. Unplug all the SATA cables, remove the GPU entirely along with any other PCIe cards, strip it down to nothing. Be sure your 24-pin mobo connector and 4/8-pin CPU connector are in the proper orientation and completely clicked into place. Try to boot the PC. If it doesn't work, swap out the stick of RAM with a different one until you've cycled through every RAM stick you own. If you make it through all of the RAM without the PC booting, repeat the process with the other PSU. If you make it through every stick of RAM on both PSUs without a boot, odds are your motherboard was fried somehow. If you're able to boot with the first stick of RAM, then start rebuilding your system one piece at a time and POSTing it after every component until you find the piece of the puzzle that's preventing you from booting.

to see if the psu was the issue as I didn't have a spare one on hand

also I'll go do that now brb

@Sir Tophat V : Any lights on the motherboard when either PSU are connected?

39 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Lol Jk Jk, Maybe the power supply is dead

OP needs help, your reply (that I removed) was not funny nor helpful, and came as condescending.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Nothing is touching the back of the motherboard? Maybe an end to a connector is just shoved in the back where it should not be touching.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

do you think a 3.55mm headphone jack touching a usb 3 port would do anything to the mobo? It was a front port that is plugged into the usb 3 connector next to the 24-pin connector (it was dark and I was tired x.x pls no judge)

1 minute ago, Sir Tophat V said:

do you think a 3.55mm headphone jack touching a usb 3 port would do anything to the mobo? (it was dark and I was tired x.x pls no judge)

Like, you accidentally plugged a 3.5mm headphone plug into a USB port? No, that wouldn't do anything at all. I accidentally plugged a DC adapter into a USB 3.0 port on a laptop once, and the laptop (and port) work fine to this day.

Like, you accidentally plugged a 3.5mm headphone plug into a USB port? No, that wouldn't do anything at all. I accidentally plugged a DC adapter into a USB 3.0 port on a laptop once, and the laptop (and port) work fine to this day.

I guess it was just bad timing then lol

4 minutes ago, Sir Tophat V said:

do you think a 3.55mm headphone jack touching a usb 3 port would do anything to the mobo? It was a front port that is plugged into the usb 3 connector next to the 24-pin connector (it was dark and I was tired x.x pls no judge)

not impossible but I would be very surprised, happened to me once and the PC simply rebooted and I never had problems related to that incident.

25 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Tried all what you said still never booted once. Do you think its the mobo? its not even half a year old :l So I guess maybe I could get a replacement if that is an issue... I just hope it's not the cpu... even though that's not even 2 years old and probably has a warranty

Dumb question that needs to be asked: if you disconnected all of the front panel cables, you were trying to boot with a screwdriver instead of pushing the power button, correct?

If so, and if you know that wall outlet is good (try plugging in a cell phone for confirmation), then I'd be looking at the motherboard as the most likely culprit.

Dumb question that needs to be asked: if you disconnected all of the front panel cables, you were trying to boot with a screwdriver instead of pushing the power button, correct?

If so, and if you know that wall outlet is good (try plugging in a cell phone for confirmation), then I'd be looking at the motherboard as the most likely culprit.

I wouldn't call that a dumb question :P but I didn't do that. I got a bit confused with booting it with the screwdriver when I tried. I can redo it with a screw driver though. Also the outlet is fine I've been using it for the past few days for my phone and a potato4. Laos my monitor is always plugged in and it never turned off

If you left the front panel cables plugged in, that's fine. I ask only because I was once completely stumped on why I couldn't get a PC to boot until realizing that I was mashing a disconnected power cable, and I don't want you RMAing a motherboard on that lol.

2 minutes ago, Sir Tophat V said:

I wouldn't call that a dumb question :P but I didn't do that. I got a bit confused with booting it with the screwdriver when I tried. I can redo it with a screw driver though. Also the outlet is fine I've been using it for the past few days for my phone and a potato4. Laos my monitor is always plugged in and it never turned off

not sure you saw my question, are there any of the motherboard LEDs that are light up when the PSU is connected (all modern motherboards have some sort of LED that lights up when it gets power). If you don't see any lights chances are the either PSU or the motherboard is faulty.

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

not sure you saw my question, are there any of the motherboard LEDs that are light up when the PSU is connected (all modern motherboards have some sort of LED that lights up when it gets power). If you don't see any lights chances are the either PSU or the motherboard is faulty.

no I saw it and no not on this mobo (unless I'm just blind af).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00K8KLW3G/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1463942939&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=z97&dpPl=1&dpID=51lV8taV6HL&ref=plSrch

so its the mobo? If so I can probably get a replacement with warranty as it just died on me :l

8 minutes ago, Sir Tophat V said:

ok, my bad!