Sleeping with computer under bed

babadoctor
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
2 hours ago, babadoctor said:

but can someone please tell me what the consequences are of leaving it there besides actual physical damage like fire

and something else like radio waves or something shitty

It gets dusty and temps rise? You get tinnitus from fan noise? There isn't anything in PC components to emit radiation. Actually your phone would have more effect. Batteries emit small amount of radiation. But depending on where you live, common tap water or food is more likely to be source for such things.

So unless you decide to eat PC hardware, nothing bad will happen to you.

Is this bad for me?

It's been on, and i have done this for about 3 weeks now...

i know its a little late, but what are the dangers of leaving it on under my bed just on? (like a webserver)

can i die

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Just now, babadoctor said:

Is this bad for me?

i know its a little late, but what are the dangers of leaving it on under my bed just on? (like a webserver)

can i die

nope

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

nope

citation needed

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

nothing can really happen unless you are using the cheapest psu ever and it starts a fire.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

nothing can really happen unless you are using the cheapest psu ever and it starts a fire.

CITATION

NEEDED

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

maybe ill develop cancer in my sleep what do i do

2 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

CITATION

NEEDED

look at the psu list in my sig to find out if you have a fire starter. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

9 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

can i die

1 minute ago, babadoctor said:

maybe ill develop cancer in my sleep what do i do

You should move it from under your bed to somewhere else before it's too late.

12 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

Is this bad for me?

can i die

You probably emit more radiation yourself than the server does. You'll be 100% fine. You won't get cancer from computers, phones, wifi routers etc... Lol just relax :)

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

2 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

You should move it from under your bed to somewhere else before it's too late.

but can someone please tell me what the consequences are of leaving it there besides actual physical damage like fire

56 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

You already know the risks. Why ask us?

3 hours ago, babadoctor said:

what are the dangers of leaving it on under my bed just on?

There aren't any.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

2 hours ago, babadoctor said:

It gets dusty and temps rise? You get tinnitus from fan noise? There isn't anything in PC components to emit radiation. Actually your phone would have more effect. Batteries emit small amount of radiation. But depending on where you live, common tap water or food is more likely to be source for such things.

So unless you decide to eat PC hardware, nothing bad will happen to you.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The risks of having a PC under your bed, running, only a few feet away from you, are no greater or lesser than sitting at a desk with a PC, running, a few feet away from you.

Next question?

No need to concern yourself about radiations of any kind. They're too small to count, much smaller than the radiation you get from microwaves and cellphone towers around you.

Your only concern should be pretty much vibrations and fan noise. Vibrations from the case (if fans are not centered properly or for various other reasons) could propagate on the floor and to the bed legs and amplify a bit the noise of the computer, 

The fan noise if it's loud enough, could make your body (or brain) unable to go in those deeper sleep states where you dream nice things and wake up very refreshed. If you don't manage that, often after a few days you have one of those days where you oversleep or wake up feeling like you want to sleep a few more hours.

How much you'd be sensitive to fan noise, it varies from person to person, nobody can tell you exactly what fans to use to not be an inconvenience

Other than this, the only other two concerns would be dust build up and temperature. Under the beds there's usually a lot of dust. Also, as air warms up, it raises, so if you put the pc under the bed it draws in cold air from the bottom of your room and moves it through the case and then up but the top is blocked by the bed, so basically the warm air has nowhere to go  ( in theory, because in practice the bed is not sealed, water tight, glued to the wall, blocking ventilation and stuff like that)

In extreme situations (say if you'd have a power hungry pc with couple of video cards in SLI or something like that) blowing out hot air, the hot air could dry out the wood of your bed and make it more easy to crack or break if you're overweight.

You should be alright. As long as you have a decent Power Supply Unit(PSU) with no chance to start a fire (extreme scenario) then you are set to go.

Just make sure that the computer has proper cooling under your bed, so it doesn't warm up too much (overheat).

And no, wifi and other "consumer-grade" radiation is not a threat. As mention before, you probably emit more radiation by yourself than your computer does, if it even has WiFi.

You should be more worried about bacon giving you cancer than a hunk of metal and plastic under your bed ;p

8 hours ago, babadoctor said:

Is this bad for me?

can i die

I haven't seen u since the Clinton administration....

Unless you're carrying radioactive material in your computer, there is almost zero chance of getting cancer. EM radiation, despite its similar sounding name, usually refers to emitting radio waves. Radio waves is not ionizing radiation, and therefore, cannot damage your DNA which is what causes cancer.

You'll probably get more ionizing radiation from sleeping next to someone.

17 minutes ago, mariushm said:

No need to concern yourself about radiations of any kind. They're too small to count, much smaller than the radiation you get from microwaves and cellphone towers around you.

Your only concern should be pretty much vibrations and fan noise. Vibrations from the case (if fans are not centered properly or for various other reasons) could propagate on the floor and to the bed legs and amplify a bit the noise of the computer, 

The fan noise if it's loud enough, could make your body (or brain) unable to go in those deeper sleep states where you dream nice things and wake up very refreshed. If you don't manage that, often after a few days you have one of those days where you oversleep or wake up feeling like you want to sleep a few more hours.

How much you'd be sensitive to fan noise, it varies from person to person, nobody can tell you exactly what fans to use to not be an inconvenience

Other than this, the only other two concerns would be dust build up and temperature. Under the beds there's usually a lot of dust. Also, as air warms up, it raises, so if you put the pc under the bed it draws in cold air from the bottom of your room and moves it through the case and then up but the top is blocked by the bed, so basically the warm air has nowhere to go  ( in theory, because in practice the bed is not sealed, water tight, glued to the wall, blocking ventilation and stuff like that)

In extreme situations (say if you'd have a power hungry pc with couple of video cards in SLI or something like that) blowing out hot air, the hot air could dry out the wood of your bed and make it more easy to crack or break if you're overweight.

its not power hungry

the graphics card is passively cooled, but that shouldnt matter because its running a headless version of linux

its almost silent under there, because the case fans are broken 

11 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I haven't seen u since the Clinton administration....

lol

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Unless you're carrying radioactive material in your computer, there is almost zero chance of getting cancer. EM radiation, despite its similar sounding name, usually refers to emitting radio waves. Radio waves is not ionizing radiation, and therefore, cannot damage your DNA which is what causes cancer.

You'll probably get more ionizing radiation from sleeping next to someone.

sleeping next to someone

it runs at minimum 60c to max 80c under my bed, havent seen it go higher than that

Would be an interesting project to build a bed frame that can also house a server or two. Some soundproofing to prevent the vibration of the spinning hard disks, or just use SSDs all around. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Would be an interesting project to build a bed frame that can also house a server or two. Some soundproofing to prevent the vibration of the spinning hard disks, or just use SSDs all around. 

i mean, i dont know about that

a REAL server is noisy as fuck and sounds like a lawnmower (or maybe thats just my interpretation of a server)

e.g dell poweredge is really really REALLY noisy