Can't get BenQ XL2720Z to run at 144hz

for7hyp3

I recently got a BenQ XL2720Z monitor and I know it can run at 144Hz but the refresh rate options in both windows and nVidia control panel don't go above 60Hz. I'm using an HDMI cable so I don't think that's the problem.

Please help.

-for7hyp3

You might be using an older version HDMI cable. Try a DVI and see if it works. Happened to me.

Display port or dual-link DVI ples, hdmi (unless it's 2.0) doesn't support 144hz if I remember correctly :P 

Just now, cdsboy2000 said:

You might be using an older version HDMI cable. Try a DVI and see if it works. Happened to me.

Has to be Dual-link DVI ;) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

DisplayPort or DVI for 100Hz+

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 hours ago, for7hyp3 said:

I recently got a BenQ XL2720Z monitor and I know it can run at 144Hz but the refresh rate options in both windows and nVidia control panel don't go above 60Hz. I'm using an HDMI cable so I don't think that's the problem.

Please help.

-for7hyp3

The HDMI chips in the Benq are not capable of 120hz operation at 1920x1080, even though the PORT itself is (HDMI 1.4 is capable of 1080p 120hz operation).

The HDMI chips are limited to the same bandwidth limits as single link DVI (1920x1080@75hz after patching the driver to remove the clock limits).

This is a common issue with many monitors.  Only a few HDMI 1.4 monitors (mostly Korean versions) have the proper chips to run 1080p @ 120hz over HDMI.

You need to use displayport or DVI instead.

You know what's interesting is that I recently posted that I was having issues trying to get my computer to run at 144hz on my BenQ XL2720Z as well. (I am using a displayport cable along with a GTX1060 6gb)

I still can't get it to show the 144hz option in display settings, however in-game the option is available, although unstable (sometimes when I run a game the screen will go black and my monitor OSD will display "Out of Range!")

If you get any answers, could you help me out as well?

2 hours ago, krnonthak0b said:

You know what's interesting is that I recently posted that I was having issues trying to get my computer to run at 144hz on my BenQ XL2720Z as well. (I am using a displayport cable along with a GTX1060 6gb)

I still can't get it to show the 144hz option in display settings, however in-game the option is available, although unstable (sometimes when I run a game the screen will go black and my monitor OSD will display "Out of Range!")

Display port 2.0 ??

I own a benQ XL2430T and I had to move from hdmi to displayport 1.2 in order to activate the 144hz option

Edited by belfouf
Confused and wrote 2.0 instead of 1.2

36 minutes ago, belfouf said:

Display port 2.0 ??

35 minutes ago, belfouf said:

I own a benQ XL2430T and I had to move from hdmi to displayport2.0 in order to activate the 144hz option

The latest version of DisplayPort is version 1.4.

Doesn't matter though, even the first version of DisplayPort is capable of 1080p 144 Hz.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

The latest version of DisplayPort is version 1.4.

Doesn't matter though, even the first version of DisplayPort is capable of 1080p 144 Hz.

You're right sorry, 1.2, I'll edit my post right now

14 hours ago, krnonthak0b said:

You may want to uninstall your video card drivers, with running DDU (Wagnard's Display Driver Uninstaller) in windows safe mode, and then reinstall the drivers.  A common problem that happens when people change monitors or video cards is the proper refresh rates aren't listed, because of conflicts with previous monitors/EDID's.

Running DDU in safe mode (please download it) fixes almost all video card windows driver issues that are not caused by actual driver bugs (e.g. game issues).

6 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

You may want to uninstall your video card drivers, with running DDU (Wagnard's Display Driver Uninstaller) in windows safe mode, and then reinstall the drivers.  A common problem that happens when people change monitors or video cards is the proper refresh rates aren't listed, because of conflicts with previous monitors/EDID's.

Running DDU in safe mode (please download it) fixes almost all video card windows driver issues that are not caused by actual driver bugs (e.g. game issues).

I'll try this when I get home! Thanks for the info.

However, I'm curious as to whether or not this will actually help as the computer is brand new. I recently just built it with all new parts (no upgrades).

The monitor is the only holdover.

Please check the firmware of your XL2720Z.  When did you buy it?  And was it brand new?

If it's a DVI port, make sure you are using the dual link port if it comes with two DVI ports.

You can open the service menu to check firmware via here:

And always use certified DP cables (Accell UltraAV cables are VESA certified and the best to buy).

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

XL2720Z will not run at higher than 60hz over displayport unless firmware is at 004 or 005.  XL2420Z requires firmware 003 (I think, otherwise 004).  Older firmware versions had a bug that would cause a displayport link failure most of the time; the older XL2720T and XL2420TE were also affected by this bug.

On 9/21/2016 at 2:46 PM, Falkentyne said:

Please check the firmware of your XL2720Z.  When did you buy it?  And was it brand new?

If it's a DVI port, make sure you are using the dual link port if it comes with two DVI ports.

You can open the service menu to check firmware via here:

And always use certified DP cables (Accell UltraAV cables are VESA certified and the best to buy).

XL2720Z will not run at higher than 60hz over displayport unless firmware is at 004 or 005.  XL2420Z requires firmware 003 (I think, otherwise 004).  Older firmware versions had a bug that would cause a displayport link failure most of the time; the older XL2720T and XL2420TE were also affected by this bug.

Thanks for all the great info.. I will check into those things as soon as I get home.

However again, I've had this monitor for a little more than a year now and when I paired it with the computer I had at the time (since sold) I had no problems.

So I think the GFX Card CAN in fact limit the refresh rate as I was once again looking at the ads for the card I bought compared to it's 1070 brother and notice these little snippets.

Since the ads themselves mention a 60hz max while the 1070 card shows 144hz.. I am assuming that my card doesn't allow 144hz with the DP cable?

Will switching to DVI-D allow 144hz?

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

1 hour ago, krnonthak0b said:

So I think the GFX Card CAN in fact limit the refresh rate as I was once again looking at the ads for the card I bought compared to it's 1070 brother and notice these little snippets.

Since the ads themselves mention a 60hz max while the 1070 card shows 144hz.. I am assuming that my card doesn't allow 144hz with the DP cable?

That's more likely just a typo in the ad. 

1 hour ago, krnonthak0b said:

No, every version of Display Port should support 144Hz 1440P. Those images with 60Hz/144Hz seem to be specifically for 4K, not just in general. 

You could try switching to DVI-D, though. Either your monitor or card may have some issues with DP. 

Is that a brand new XL2720Z or is it used?

What firmware is on it?
XL2720Z needs to be at firmware V4+ or >60hz won't work over displayport due to a link bug.

if it *IS* at firmware V4+, uninstall your video card drivers, download DDU, boot to safe mode, run DDU in safe mode, reboot and reinstall videocard drivers.

If it is at v4 or v5 and you did all of this and it still won't show >60hz over displayport, buy a certified DP cable and not some knockoff $3 Chinese cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Accell-B142C-010B-2-UltraAV-DisplayPort-Locking/dp/B0098HVXVQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474571056&sr=8-2&keywords=accell%2Bdisplayport%2B1.2&th=1