'Nvidia doesn't need to lower prices to compete with new AMD R7/R9 cards'

RyanTH98

Graphics cards vendor Nvidia doesn't need to lower prices across its range to compete with the new AMD R7 and R9 series, a senior industry source has told PCR.

"I thought Nvidia would lower its prices, but looking at the performance of [the other R7 and R9 cards], they don’t really have to," said the source.  "There isn't much performance gained in the new AMD cards, so I don’t think Nvidia will move - and if they do it won’t be by much.""Of course, the 290X it not going to be a cheaper card, so if there’s any product movement [from Nvidia] it could be on the Titans or on the 780," the source added.

When asked whether the market needs a new Titan, the source replied:

"[The PC gaming market is] always performance hungry."

Honestly, I think Nvidia needs to lower their prices

A 7950 sells for 210 on newegg and a gtx 760 is still 260 while they are pretty much similar in performance. With all the competition happening on the GPU market all I want is for all the prices to go down so that it's better for the consumers overall. More competition= price cuts=lower price=happy me and happy consumers  :D .

Article Link: http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/nvidia-doesn-t-need-to-lower-prices-to-compete-with-new-amd-r7-r9-cards/032189

I like how the analyst says that the new R7/R9 cards perform similar to the old 7000 series... Wait, isn't that exactly the same as the 6xx series and 7xx series from nVidia? Aside from the 780, the rest are barely faster than their previous counterparts.

AMD right now is a much better value in my eyes, even not counting the amazing Radeon Never Settle bundles.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Nvidia cards come with PhysX, CUDA, and some more stuff which makes them more pricey.

BS, Mantle?

Interested in Business and Technology

Agreed. AMD has such an attractive price point that I'm really struggling to talk myself into considering an nvidia card. On top of the Never Settle bundles, it's just such a tempting offer. I am definitely willing to sacrifice a few frames for that.

Nvidia cards come with PhysX, CUDA, and some more stuff which makes them more pricey.

BS, Mantle?

Mantle, TressFX (Though I've rarely seen it implemented), OpenCL, etc. With OpenCL support gaining traction, CUDA becomes less attractive.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So you're saying that there's a drastic difference between CUDA cores and stream processors that justify a 50-100 dollar price gap? From the benchmarks I've seen, the price is within 10 frames while both cards perform really well (in regards to Radeon cards compared to the competing nvidia cards). I don't see a price justification.

Agreed. AMD has such an attractive price point that I'm really struggling to talk myself into considering an nvidia card. On top of the Never Settle bundles, it's just such a tempting offer. I am definitely willing to sacrifice a few frames for that.

You wouldn't be sacrificing any frames, unless you were going to purchase a 780 or Titan. And if that's the case, just wait for the 290X and see how official post-launch benchmarks do. Any benchmarks that show nVidia outperforming it's comparable AMD card are usually cherry picked, as it varies wildly per game, with some favouring RED TEAM and some GREEN TEAM. Picking up a 7970 or 7970 GHz would be a really good deal, or getting the 290X once it comes out if you want the best (While still being really good value).

The bundles, on top of that, are simply amazing.

Whoever bundles GTA V with their cards wins my money

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

So they don't need to lower prices? Hmm. Nvidia has never been one to overly care about being competitvely priced but let's look at the current high-end GPU lanescape.

The top three cards on the market right now are (by performace):

GTX690 at $999

HD 7990 at $599-$699

Titan at $1000

Below that we have:

GTX 780 at $649

R9 280X at $299

GTX 770 at $399

Rumor has the 290x hitting or beating the Titan at a little over $700 with the BF4 bundle and the 290 non-X being a 780 class card possibly at $499. Without a price drop that could sweep all of Nvidia's high-end markets. With AMD's drivers constantly improving and them working on fixing frame timing on the rest of their stuff, at those prices AMD could put up a very good fight. We NEED a price war between AMD and Nvidia. This $700+ single-GPU card crap needs to stop. The 780 is too expensive even. Both companies need close performing cards so that we can reep the benefits of them fighting.

Whoever bundles GTA V with their cards wins my money

won't happen

won't happen

What if I told you it is already available in the matrix?

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

So they don't need to lower prices? Hmm. Nvidia has never been one to overly care about being competitvely priced but let's look at the current high-end GPU lanescape.

The top three cards on the market right now are (by performace):

GTX690 at $999

HD 7990 at $599-$699

Titan at $1000

Below that we have:

GTX 780 at $649

R9 280X at $299

GTX 770 at $399

Rumor has the 290x hitting or beating the Titan at a little over $700 with the BF4 bundle and the 290 non-X being a 780 class card possibly at $499. Without a price drop that could sweep all of Nvidia's high-end markets. With AMD's drivers constantly improving and them working on fixing frame timing on the rest of their stuff, at those prices AMD could put up a very good fight. We NEED a price war between AMD and Nvidia. This $700+ single-GPU card crap needs to stop. The 780 is too expensive even. Both companies need close performing cards so that we can reep the benefits of them fighting.

I AGREE WITH THIS SO MUCH.

The sooner that AMD and Nvidia realize that the average consumer can't afford their high end GPUs, the better. I kick myself every time I look at a GPU and think, "Oh, that's only like $250, that's a really good deal." It's ridiculous. That's a week of pay for me. That being said, I work part time at a pretty good payrate, but still! If I bought all of the parts that I wanted that are considered "cheap", I would go broke SO fast.

What if I told you it is already available in the matrix?

what's the matrix?

Aside from the 780, the rest are barely faster than their previous counterparts.

Not really, the 760 is about 25% faster then the 660. At least I find that

"Oh, that's only like $250, that's a really good deal." It's ridiculous. That's a week of pay for me. That being said, I work part time at a pretty good payrate, but still! If I bought all of the parts that I wanted that are considered "cheap", I would go broke SO fast.

You're not supposed to buy a new GPU every month. If your computer lasts you 5 years then that's just 0.4% of your income to have a decent GPU.

The sooner that AMD and Nvidia realize that the average consumer can't afford their high end GPUs, the better. I kick myself every time I look at a GPU and think, "Oh, that's only like $250, that's a really good deal." It's ridiculous. That's a week of pay for me. That being said, I work part time at a pretty good payrate, but still! If I bought all of the parts that I wanted that are considered "cheap", I would go broke SO fast.

Prior to getting a 770 the most I ever spent on a card was $300. I spent a lot of time justifying a $400 card to myself. $500 really should be the top end for the main cards. Something like the Titan at $600 I could get behind. I wouldn't buy it, but it would seem reasonable. The 280x did a nice shake-up at the low end of the enthusiast GPU line up. I thought $400 was decent for the 770 until the 280x hit. Now I'm looking at it going "Nvidia just need to drop it by $50 to put it back in a good spot".

I like how the analyst says that the new R7/R9 cards perform similar to the old 7000 series... Wait, isn't that exactly the same as the 6xx series and 7xx series from nVidia? Aside from the 780, the rest are barely faster than their previous counterparts.

AMD right now is a much better value in my eyes, even not counting the amazing Radeon Never Settle bundles.

But you forgot to take in account FRAME LATENCY!!! Even on one card, there is horrible frame latency, I mean look at Tek Syndicate's benchmarks.

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

But you forgot to take in account FRAME LATENCY!!! Even on one card, there is horrible frame latency, I mean look at Tek Syndicate's benchmarks.

It depends on the game and resolution. Right now AMD's frame pacing fix only works on DX10/11 titles and only up to 2560x1200 resolutuon. AMD's latency is higher than Nvidia, but it should be noted that up to 20-ish% most people will not be able to notice the problem unless they're viewing them side-by-side. AnandTech talked a little about it when examining the Cat13.8 drivers.

Nvidia have already cut prices & they will do more price-cuts, I believe that this statement is merely a last attempt from this supposed analyst to keep the Nvidia stock prices afloat before AMD & Nvidia announce their quarterly financial results.

This statement is blatantly wrong on so many different levels.

One being that Nvidia already cut prices on their sub $200 segments.

Ryan shrout from PCPer made it clear than Nvidia would be "committing suicide" by keeping the prices they currently have on the 770 & 760.

There are already talks of price cuts on the GTX 770, 760 & even the 780.

That's incorrect, AMD cards do not experience frame latency, on the contrary, the R9 280X has significantly less latency than the GTX 770 & 760.

Bioshock_1920x1080_PLOT.png
Bioshock_2560x1440_PLOT.png
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-R9-280X-R9-270X-and-R7-260X-Review/Bioshock-Infinite-R9-280X

Bioshock infinite isn't the only game either, the 280X was consistently smoother & experienced significantly less frame lag/latency in Crysis 3, Metro Last Light & Skyrim.
In BF3 & GRID 2 the 280X was as smooth as the 770 or slightly smoother.

To say that "even on one card there is horrible frame latency" is blatantly misleading. 99% of people will not notice any issues while running a single card AMD solution. The frame latency might be higher on paper vs nvidia in single cards, but it is not by a realistically noticeable amount.

They're high/top end for a reason, so only high end/top end consumers get what they pay for, a high end premium product. this is why they have mid range cards for ~300$ that play any game at 60+ fps

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Look at Post Below:

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

To say that "even on one card there is horrible frame latency" is blatantly misleading. 99% of people will not notice any issues while running a single card AMD solution. The frame latency might be higher on paper vs nvidia in single cards, but it is not by a realistically noticeable amount.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OWnbEHMLRog

Watch that video. It will show you that even on a single r9 280x, there is horrible frame variance that is many times above the "unnoticeable" barrier you speak of. I mean, even in a AMD Gaming Evolved Title, Battlefield 4, we see jumps of well over the acceptable, playable barrier of 20 ms all the way to 40 ms, and in Battlefield 4, 1440p, we see jumps of up to 60 ms on a single r9 280x. To add, Bioshock Infinite at 1440p over the single r9 280x has jumps of up to 80 ms times to render frames while the average is 24ms to render frames normally. Finally, with very demanding skyrim mods such as Project EMB, we see actual lag and variance of up to 80 ms, from the 24 ms average. I mean look at the screen recording Logan showed of the modded Skyrim game, it looks unplayable, laggy! Even the BF4 beta gameplay looked choppy in its own right. My friend, get with the times, the hardware AMD is rolling out might be great, but the drivers to support them are atrocious. I mean look at the frame variance of even AMD gaming evolved titles!

- winny3141  :D