AMD's ZEN chipsets revealed

NumLock21
Just now, manikyath said:

well, that dimm isnt ram, that dimm is the pi, and it slots into the main board below it.

it's the Compute Pi

point is, the Pi has external RAM chips 

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

'A320'

Airbus copyright claim incoming.

/s

now you mention... if this manages to come on airbus' radar (which i honestly wouldnt expect) chances are that this could become at least interesting.

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

it's the Compute Pi

yes, but it is not a ram slot to expand its memory, like you stated originally.

9 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

'A320'

Airbus copyright claim incoming.

/s

Maybe Airbus and AMD had a agreement to have all their airlines control by AMD Zen.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Maybe Airbus and AMD had a agreement to have all their airlines control by AMD Zen.

'Passengers, we're here to introduce a new feature, a built in grill for your meals so you can have REAL food'

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

I'm searching for Pi or Pi clones that have external RAM chips

one I found is the Odroid : http://dn.odroid.com/homebackup/201412042046401584.jpg

sure, there's plenty of clones, but you specificly said a pi ;)

and indeed, the odroid has two ram chips on board, just like the official pi has one (they have it on the underside)

still not a ram dimm tho ;)

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

i just wanna mention this: that website has so many ads you have to search for the article itself..

What ads? ;)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, manikyath said:

and indeed, the odroid has two ram chips on board, just like the official pi has one (they have it on the underside)

still not a ram dimm tho ;)

if it has the RAM IO ports, you can easly make it accept SODIMM, assuming the MC is capable

Just now, zMeul said:

if it has the RAM IO ports, you can easly make it accept SODIMM, assuming the MC is capable

does it *have* a ram dimm, or does it not have a ram dimm?

in what you're stating, i could go out and find a 4GB ram chip and stick it to the underside of my pi to have a 4GB raspberry pi.

you're smart enough to figure put how unrealistic this is right?

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

does it *have* a ram dimm, or does it not have a ram dimm?

in what you're stating, i could go out and find a 4GB ram chip and stick it to the underside of my pi to have a 4GB raspberry pi.

you're smart enough to figure put how unrealistic this is right?

and again we're debating the rain while BCM2837 is a SoC with external RAM module - isn't that what you initially asked ...

Just now, zMeul said:

and again we're debating the rain while BCM2837 is a SoC with external RAM module

and again you're completely beside the point i'm trying to make.

anyways, i'm gonna quit about this before the thread goes completely off track.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the thread went off rails 2 pages ago, what's 2 more

I still didn't understood the point you were trying to make ....

are Intel's CPUs SoCs? NO they aren't - Intel's CPUs (with iGP) still rely on the PCH to function

where as AMD's AM4 chips can function on their own since everything (except RAM) is on die

Really hope it has beyond dual-channel at the initial release.  If their APU's are beefy, with a ton of ivy or haswell level cores, and quad channel memory - that'd get me on board.  An 8-core, 16-thread APU with the dream of an onboard RX480 with onboard HBM and quad channel DDR4.  

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

and again you're completely beside the point i'm trying to make.

All of the SOC currently being manufactured have no on-die or on-package RAM. Whether its x86, AMD64 or ARM. When you look at mobile CPU, all that AMD's AM4 CPU are lacking in comparison is wireless/mobile network connectivity.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Really hope it has beyond dual-channel at the initial release.  If their APU's are beefy, with a ton of ivy or haswell level cores, and quad channel memory - that'd get me on board.  An 8-core, 16-thread APU with the dream of an onboard RX480 with onboard HBM and quad channel DDR4.  

now you mention, that'd be one hell of a thing to use that extra board space for :P

d07cde4dc1.png

3 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

That'd be neat but I seriously doubt that will happen, mainly due to the skyrocketing costs of putting HBM in there too. I mean not many would be willing to pay like 800 bucks for such a chip instead of separated components for 400.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Bring on the server! seriously hoping AMD's Zen opteron will have boat load of pcie x16 lanes and be competitively priced. Come on AMD I need a render farm :D

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

this is a bit misleading as AM4 CPUs already have USB, SATA, PCIe, network PHY and other "connectivity" already embedded on chip - they're SoCs for god's sake

these chipsets will only add functionality 

Currently available information is there's no network controller integrated in the AM4 CPUs. Their integrated storage and USB connectivity is also limited, so in practice they're not quite SOCs yet.

31 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

From what I can tell the 8 core chip will have 2 dual channel controllers. Whether you'd consider that quad channel is up to interpretation but I'd say no. The APUs seem to be limited to 4 cores (for now), so that's 1 dual channel controller. That's how it's designed: one dual channel controller per CCX. Maybe they will make a large APU for the server market but would probably be very expensive. 

54 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

8 core chip will have 2 dual channel controllers

dont tell me they're pulling a G34 again.. :P

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

dont tell me they're pulling a G34 again.. :P

that's 8 channel for the 32 core chip, 4 for the 16 core. so its not like the G34.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

that's 8 channel for the 32 core chip, 4 for the 16 core. so its not like the G34.

i was more so hinting at the 8core potentially being two quadcores stapled together :P

Anybody know about zen that they also have an APU based on Zen chipset? I'm a bit interested on Apu, I really want to know how far amd have developed the apu on zen,, 2017 , it'll be a long wait to see...

1 minute ago, muzakki fatch said:

Anybody know about zen that they also have an APU based on Zen chipset? I'm a bit interested on Apu, I really want to know how far amd have developed the apu on zen,, 2017 , it'll be a long wait to see...

Literally the first bunch of Zen chips to be announced were all APUs (and one Athlon)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats