AMD's ZEN chipsets revealed

NumLock21
2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Features that comes with are support for ddr4, nvme, sata express, and usb 3.1,

If only these were new... *Clicks away*

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Likely but this wasn't always necessarily the case and we could see a change back: I remember when (of all people) Nvidia used to release their own chipsets for AMD CPUs which added more powerful integrated graphics and other features. I used to have one such rig way back when an Nforce 2 mobo.

But enough of my old man bullshit carry on.

not the same thing

AMD's AM4 platform can function much like a Raspberry Pi

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

not the same thing

AMD's AM4 platform can function much like a Raspberry Pi

as could intel's original pentium like an arduino ;)

18 minutes ago, zMeul said:

AMD's AM4 platform is a SoC no matter how you look it it (it doesn't have RAM on die)

all the connectivity (I mentioned in my 1st post) is embedded inside the AM4 package - everything! the board only acts as a connecting platform to the various peripherals

i'm not asking you if it is nor not, i'm asking you where the line is.

Nothing new here except a rumored name for the chipset.

Why do people act like the chipset is supposed to leapfrog the entire industry? It will have all current generation I/O; that's what the AM4 chipset does. They can't exactly implement future standards that aren't finalized. For example: the often mentioned PCIE 4.0 is expected to be finalized sometime in 2017 (possibly late 2017), so how exactly are they supposed to preemptively implement it a few years in advance (remember CPU and chipset design starts early) of it even existing? It will be implemented in due time. Most likely not with Zen+, perhaps Zen++ or whatever it'll be called. Again: the spec needs to be finalized, then they can start working on implementing it properly. They might be able to do preliminary work based on drafts but not much more than that.

Just now, manikyath said:

i'm not asking you if it is nor not, i'm asking you where the line is.

the line between who and what?

SoC / SiP and CPU?

20 minutes ago, zMeul said:

-snip-

Why'd you say say it so, accusingly?

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Currioust to see what Zen is going to bring.

The fact that zen has allot of feutures embeded to the chip.

This should basicly mean massive improvements as far as latencies are concerned.

Atleast theoreticly

Just now, zMeul said:

the line between who and what?

SoC / SiP and CPU?

at what point does someone integrate so much into a CPU that it becomes a SoC?

this story gets only more flaky when you start looking at intel CPU with iGPU, compared to AMD's APUs. (in theory your very own i5 is an APU, although intel still calls them a CPU.)

--

the issue with your original statement i'm trying to raise is that lines are fading, lines you never even thought about are fading, and is it really even bad that they are fading?

(imagine what all that extra space on a mobo could do for you if you'd no longer necessarily need big silicon on there)

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Small powerfull boxes.

i think allot can be done with it exaly.

Just now, Sintezza said:

Small powerfull boxes.

is an intel NUC a system on chip then?

i'd call that small, and still decently powerful.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

this story gets only more flaky when you start looking at intel CPU with iGPU, compared to AMD's APUs. (in theory your very own i5 is an APU, although intel still calls them a CPU.)

--

the issue with your original statement i'm trying to raise is that lines are fading, lines you never even thought about are fading, and is it really even bad that they are fading?

(imagine what all that extra space on a mobo could do for you if you'd no longer necessarily need big silicon on there)

the APU term was invented by AMD, Intel still calls it a CPU

the line between a CPU and a SoC is already defined - a SoC is an IC that integrates all necessary components for a computer system on the same die

AMD's AM4 platform is just that - they could actually ditch the interposer and run the AM4 chip of a board no larger than a Raspberry Pi

how actually good this is?! I made a topic some months ago where I discussed just this - this isn't actually "news"

I don't agree with the direction AMD is going and because of that I no longer waited for ZEN to launch and got myself a Skylake system upgrade

Just now, zMeul said:

the line between a CPU and a SoC is already defined - a SoC is an IC that integrates all necessary component for a computer system on the same die

RAM.

so.. in that defenition, even a raspberry pi isnt even really an SoC. do you see where i'm getting with the whole fading lines thing?

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

is an intel NUC a system on chip then?

i'd call that small, and still decently powerful.

Well i personaly could image a use for zen cpu´s / apu´s in things like gaming consoles for example.

But also all sorts of other things, since so manny feutures are embeded on the die.

There is realy allot they could do with it.

Just now, manikyath said:

RAM.

so.. in that defenition, even a raspberry pi isnt even really an SoC. do you see where i'm getting with the whole fading lines thing?

the Pi is a SoC - the Pi even has a extra slot for SODIMM RAM ;) plus its on-board 1GB RAM (depending on the model)

the debate is between SoC and SiP - to me SoC and SiP is the same

Just now, Sintezza said:

Well i personaly could image a use for zen cpu´s / apu´s in things like gaming consoles for example.

i hope moving the "this is necessary anyways" stuff onto the CPU package means that we finally get something revolutionary on motherboards that's actually useful. (screw RGB...)

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

the Pi is a SoC - the Pi even has a extra slot for SODIMM RAM ;) plus its on-board 1GB RAM (depending on the model)

the debate is between SoC and SiP - to me SoC and SiP is the same

so.. i have a pi, i can confirm it does not have a sodimm slot ;)

and the difference between SoC and SiP is actually very simple: SoC is one piece of silicon, SiP is multiple pieces of silicon in one package.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

-snip-

Well he did say depending on the model :P

AMD ZEN could become an ultrabook/tablet solution rather than a desktop solution :/ eh. Also, curse RGB!? How can you curse the glorious 16.8 million colours im certainly not gonna look at when trying to make a killing spree on Halo 5 Forge!

So a SiP example would be ^^? Is a Dual gpu card an example, like the Titan Z/295X2?

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

Well he did say depending on the model :P

AMD ZEN could become an ultrabook/tablet solution rather than a desktop solution :/. Also, curse RGB!? How can you curse the glorious 16.8 million colours im certainly not gonna look at when trying to make a killing spree on Halo 5 Forge!

unless i missed something about them releasing a new pi, they dont have one that has a ram expansion slot.

and my computer lives under my desk, i could think of a whole thread of things that'd be better to put on a mobo than RGB.

can we *PLEASE* start putting IPMI on desktop boards? :P

2 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

So a SiP example would be ^^? Is a Dual gpu card an example, like the Titan Z/295X2?

if you consider the GPU to be a "package", sure.

usually the term is used to describe a component to put on a PCB, like for example the cpu in the super thin macbooks is a substrate, that has two pieces of silicon on it, strapped to the mobo.

although, it does not contain a complete system, so it's not a SiP.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

-snip-

But cant you already use your Iphone/Android device to monitor your motherboard, fans and even overclocks remotely :/?

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

But cant you already use your Iphone/Android device to monitor your motherboard, fans and even overclocks remotely :/?

i need a more intelligent (preferably hardware) solution, that preferably also gets rid of wake on lan forever :P