Hacking Windows logon in 20 seconds

Given that you can still trick the login screen into running cmd, and run the net user command, this doesn't really surprise me.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

6 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Given that you can still trick the login screen into running cmd, and run the net user command, this doesn't really surprise me.

Indeed. Although that won't help with domain joined machines (unless people store stuff on their local drives), this attack allows you to gain the credentials of a domain administrator potentially.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

I think I will get a RPi Zero and try this at my school :) 

it won't install any device thats plugged in, it has a white list for certain devices. it wont install most drivers, but apparently Ethernet was on the list. 

7 hours ago, Eniqmatic said:

Because in my experience, non technical people struggle to remember anything remotely close to that. Some even struggle to remember a single word less than 8 characters long!

Your right, my pass is only 14 characters long. I couldn't remember two more..

(Troll response, you are completely correct.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 hours ago, KuJoe said:

password_strength.png

With the correcthorsebatterystaple password, modern password crackers such as oclhashcat use dicitonaries which connect common words together making it easier to crack these passwords, its a good idea though, just needs some random symbols. Something like fx8350@4.8GHz would be better as its easy to remember and uses an "@" symbol which is rare and most importantly a full stop in the middle(who uses fullstops in thier password?).It also doesn't use commond words for most people.

9 hours ago, Vode said:

How much time do you need for a 24 character password with brute force on NTLMv2?

It was a figure of speech. Good luck as in it's not gonna be feasable.

(rofl)

you can have a 128 character password with as random composition as possible with symbols and letters and numbers. If someone wants to crack it, there is NOTHING in this world that will stop them. It is a matter of TIME.

If someone wants to get into Fort Knox, they can do so. The likelihood is incredibly small due to the fact that said vault is guarded by a army of mercenaries that even have a couple of tanks. So sure, the likelihood is laughably small. But it can be done WITH TIME.

12 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Once you have physical access to a machine security goes out the window regardless of what OS you have.

Lets not forget that you can modify the Windows registry in 'offline mode' by just simply booting into recovery mode off a WIndows install media. From there you can easily make your own local admin account. There are a ton of insecurities with having physical access to a machine. 

The best bet is having a BIOS/UEFI bootup password. On newer machines you can disable certain I/O access during the bootup process and is only re-enabled once the OS kernel takes over. This prevents most bootup/startup vector attacks. But still leaves the OS vulnerable once it takes over. I also recommend disabling any external bootup options other than the main HDD/SSD. At the very least if a computer isn't able to boot from an external source and has an bootscreen password, it makes exploiting a step harder (unless of course the BIOS/UEFI is reflashed). It helps in cases where laptops are suspect to theft, but if you have smart cookie or a PC is an a forensics lab, then that won't stop anyone with the proper tools and knowhow. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Yeah kinda not great how completely and always USB connection is trusted by OS and also using it as network workaround.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

(rofl)

you can have a 128 character password with as random composition as possible with symbols and letters and numbers. If someone wants to crack it, there is NOTHING in this world that will stop them. It is a matter of TIME.

If someone wants to get into Fort Knox, they can do so. The likelihood is incredibly small due to the fact that said vault is guarded by a army of mercenaries that even have a couple of tanks. So sure, the likelihood is laughably small. But it can be done WITH TIME.

What if it takes 50 years? Or a million years. There sure are a few reasons that will stop them then. And ironically all related to TIME. Like lifespan of a PC, a human, earth or the universe. lel Even if it takes only one year chances are that the password, Windows install and PC won't even exist anymore once the password has been cracked. 

Bute seriously though the main thing that will stop them is that if you have a ridiculously strong password easier targets will be chosen by an attacker first.

I don't have to outrun the lion. Just the person I'm that's running with me. Muhaha 

Of course it's not guaranteed, nothing is. At a certain point the attacker will find another way to get the password if one method doesn't work, and there are plenty with the attacker actually sitting in the same room with your PC... :P

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, Vode said:

What if it takes 50 years? Or a million years. There sure are a few reasons that will stop them then. And ironically all related to TIME. Like lifespan of a PC, a human, earth or the universe. lel Even if it takes only one year chances are that the password, Windows install and PC won't even exist anymore once the password has been cracked. 

Bute seriously though the main thing that will stop them is that if you have a ridiculously strong password easier targets will be chosen by an attacker first.

I don't have to outrun the lion. Just the person I'm that's running with me. Muhaha 

Of course it's not guaranteed, nothing is. At a certain point the attacker will find another way to get the password if one method doesn't work, and there are plenty with the attacker actually sitting in the same room with your PC... :P

well, in the end, it doesnt matter how badass your password is when the attacker is threatening to molest you with a cactus.

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

well, in the end, it doesnt matter how badass your password is when the attacker is threatening to molest you with a cactus.

Nooo! Not the cactus! :((

LOL

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

I'm guessing the reason this is news is because of the speed in which the person gets access but it appears the speed is dependent on the password complexity. If I have local access to a machine I can gain access to a local admin account on any version of Microsoft Server regardless of password complexity (accessing an account with a 64 character password take just as long as one with a 2 character password) but it might take my 5 minutes (2 reboots) compared to the 20 seconds of the USB

-KuJoe

IIRC mubix used a lan turtle not USBarmory 

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

12 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

I think I will get a RPi Zero and try this at my school :) 

Err be extremely careful with that. That would be considered hacking, and a federal crime in Canada and the US. And I mean "rape you in the ass Federal Prison" crime.

If you're gonna try this out "for fun", do it at home, on a network you own and control. Doing shit like this at school is just idiotic, and asking for you to get expelled and/or charged by the police.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

14 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Err be extremely careful with that. That would be considered hacking, and a federal crime in Canada and the US. And I mean "rape you in the ass Federal Prison" crime.

If you're gonna try this out "for fun", do it at home, on a network you own and control. Doing shit like this at school is just idiotic, and asking for you to get expelled and/or charged by the police.

Its one of those things you say you can do but there is no point in doing. I probably couldn't work out how to do it anyway(never used linux)

10 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

Its one of those things you say you can do but there is no point in doing. I probably couldn't work out how to do it anyway(never used linux)

and honestly, why would you need somebodys windows login unless you plan on taking the computer?

and if youre going take it, just use NTPass to completely remove it. its just as easy

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

This isn't anything ground breaking.. I have a little 2gb Nvidia flash drive loaded with a paid software that will show me the windows credentials and it takes a whopping 2 seconds... And I can just see the password, change the password or just remove the password.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 10:38 AM, KuJoe said:

Agreed. The main problem is people want convenient security, security cannot be both secure and convenient. I wish more companies would implement 2FA and password alternatives but the majority of users aren't ready to part with their insecure usernames and passwords they are comfortable with.

That's maybe because we don't teach people how to make good and easy passwords.

Like you can learn a phrase with punctuation and a number, that gives you a long password with everything you need. For example:

HolyS#!tit'sthe1stpasswordIknow is easy to learn and way better than just a 4 figure pin number.

14 hours ago, Tsuki said:

and honestly, why would you need somebodys windows login unless you plan on taking the computer?

and if youre going take it, just use NTPass to completely remove it. its just as easy

As a prank or joke.

Just now, ScratchCat said:

As a prank or joke.

I used to login to pcs at our local pawn shop and remove the password. Assuming it was running XP home you could just reboot into safe mode then login with the unpassworded Administrator account. Don't think MS ever fixed that one. 

14 hours ago, Tsuki said:

Unless it's a member of a domain, and having someone's domain password is much more serious than just a dumb terminal password. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 9/12/2016 at 5:34 PM, ScratchCat said:

With the correcthorsebatterystaple password, modern password crackers such as oclhashcat use dicitonaries which connect common words together making it easier to crack these passwords, its a good idea though, just needs some random symbols. Something like fx8350@4.8GHz would be better as its easy to remember and uses an "@" symbol which is rare and most importantly a full stop in the middle(who uses fullstops in thier password?).It also doesn't use commond words for most people.

The whole point of that comic is that "rare symbols" are irrelevant and the whole "mix numbers and letters" etc is wrong advice. Because the difficulty of cracking a password by brute force depends on the number of possible combinations, not in the combination you actually use. Other than that, it's time and luck.

Of course, you can use an algorithm that is more sophisticated than brute force (just like a human would try the name of your pet before going for random strings). The non-random ordering of the strings to be tried makes passwords harder or easier to crack, depending on how the specific algorithm orders them. Still, the password itself isn't safer or riskier, it will only be found earlier/later by certain algorithms. You can write an algorithm that will try "correcthorsebatterystaple" before " fx8350@4.8GHz". But you can also write an algorithm that does the opposite. The idea that "R@lling5tonez" is safer than "RollingStones" has no cryptographic basis, provided "R@lling5tonez" was a valid choice in both cases. It only may help with "manual" hacking, i.e., someone trying to guess if it really was your pet or maybe a l337 version of your hometown. A radonom string of characters is equally "strong", regardless of which specific characters it contains.