Hacking Windows logon in 20 seconds

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Windows-Login-Hacked-with-a-USB-stick-in-a-couple-of-seconds.173940.0.html

In less than 20 seconds, the locked Windows PC redirected network traffic through the USB device, which then requested authentification and was presented with the login credentials of the currently logged in user.

Even if Windows did not give out the password in clear text but as a hash, this just caused a small delay. According to Rob, this worked with every Windows version up to Windows 10. He said, that he was also successful on OS X using the same technique but so far there is no proof on that yet. At the moment he is working to see if Linux is susceptible to this kind of attack as well.

In short with a small usb stick which can be turned into usb gadget ethernet mode you can steal anyones login credentials in seconds. This works by presenting your device as an ethernet access which is installed even when the computer is locked. The coputer then transfers the login crededtials and this is recorded by the usb device. The login may be hashed but It is stored in NTLMv2(?) which only will take a day to a few hours to break on a modern GPU.

What the real questions is, who thought it would be a good idea to install any device plugged in while at the lockscreen? Then also send the hash of the password to that device?

If I remember correctly you can use the raspberry pi zero in usb gadget mode so you can build your own version of this for less than $10.

What do you think of this flaw in both windows, Mac and possibly linux?

I wouldn't call this new, I successfully demonstrated this to my then employers at the time, about 2 years ago now. You can indeed capture cached credentials which are stored in NTLMv2 and are ridiculously easy to get. As for breaking the hash, that is totally dependant on how hard the original password is. Combinations of around 8 and above of mixed numbers letters and symbols with lower and uppercase will take you a lot longer than a few hours.

Having said that when I've done this before I've broken a password in 28 seconds I think it was, the password was 5 characters in length with no numbers or symbols.

But yeah, I wouldn't call this new at all.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Installing devices on the lockscreen, yummy!

I get it for security enhancing devices like a hardware key... But a network device? That automatically takes prevalence over the existing network device?

"Up to windows ten" to all those saying 7 is so much more secure.

Edit: Before the flame wars start I know there are a lot of other factors, this is just a joke.

- snip-

30 minutes ago, Eniqmatic said:

Having said that when I've done this before I've broken a password in 28 seconds I think it was, the password was 5 characters in length with no numbers or symbols.

Why would anyone ever use a password that is less than 16 randomly generated mixed case letters, numbers and symbols and 2FA.

1 minute ago, MrDynamicMan said:

"Up to windows ten" to all those saying 7 is so much more secure.

Do they mean including or excluding 10?

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

Why would anyone ever use a password that is less than 16 randomly generated mixed case letters, numbers and symbols and 2FA.

There are plenty of reasons.

-KuJoe

3 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Excluding, unless they cant english.

- snip-

2 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Because in my experience, non technical people struggle to remember anything remotely close to that. Some even struggle to remember a single word less than 8 characters long!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

1 minute ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Judging by the video where they demonstrate it on Windows 10, I would say they haven't worded it correctly.

1 minute ago, Eniqmatic said:

Because in my experience, non technical people struggle to remember anything remotely close to that. Some even struggle to remember a single word less than 8 characters long!

And in reality you shouldn't need a complex password to login to your local machine. Luckily MS has made it really easy to use extremely complex passwords and login to your PC with just a few numbers without having to know your password (but if you ever need to login to Safe Mode then be ready for that adventure, Safe Mode is the reason I refuse to have an MS account on my PC).

-KuJoe

13 minutes ago, Eniqmatic said:

Judging by the video where they demonstrate it on Windows 10, I would say they haven't worded it correctly.

In that case they must to english lern.

- snip-

15 minutes ago, Eniqmatic said:

What was than one XKCD things about passwords... Like horse flashlight toffey fly

- snip-

7 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

There are plenty of reasons.

5 minutes ago, Eniqmatic said:

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

And in reality you shouldn't need a complex password to login to your local machine. Luckily MS has made it really easy to use extremely complex passwords and login to your PC with just a few numbers without having to know your password (but if you ever need to login to Safe Mode then be ready for that adventure, Safe Mode is the reason I refuse to have an MS account on my PC).

Unfortunately that is the way many businesses are headed with excessive faux security. Now if only they could get those people to stop writing down their impossible to remember passwords on post-it notes...

6 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

English was broken a very long time ago.

18 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Unfortunately that is the way many businesses are headed with excessive faux security. Now if only they could get those people to stop writing down their impossible to remember passwords on post-it notes...

Agreed. The main problem is people want convenient security, security cannot be both secure and convenient. I wish more companies would implement 2FA and password alternatives but the majority of users aren't ready to part with their insecure usernames and passwords they are comfortable with.

-KuJoe

Good luck with my 24 character password. 

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

21 minutes ago, Vode said:

Good luck with my 24 character password. 

if you have such a device, you dont need luck. all you need is TIME.

There is no "luck" involved when using password cracking software, just time vs complexity.

And this is one of the reasons I invested in a TPM. Sure it adds an extra step to powering on my machine, but I'll take that over my data (as in files) being stolen.

GL&HF

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 hour ago, MrDynamicMan said:

What was than one XKCD things about passwords... Like horse flashlight toffey fly

password_strength.png

Sorry to self promote but since it's relative to the topic and doesn't benefit me at all (no ads, referral links, or anything that can earn me money) I put this site together a while back that lets you test your password's complexity (I update the number of guesses per second every few months and it should still be accurate since I updated it recently): http://rand.pw/

-KuJoe

46 minutes ago, Prysin said:

There is no "luck" involved when using password cracking software, just time vs complexity.

I think I would notice if somebody was in front of my computer that wasn't supposed to be. :D

And the "luck" involved in password cracking is that you crack the password early and not get it on the last attempt.

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

How much time do you need for a 24 character password with brute force on NTLMv2?

It was a figure of speech. Good luck as in it's not gonna be feasable.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

3 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Windows-Login-Hacked-with-a-USB-stick-in-a-couple-of-seconds.173940.0.html

In short with a small usb stick which can be turned into usb gadget ethernet mode you can steal anyones login credentials in seconds. This works by presenting your device as an ethernet access which is installed even when the computer is locked. The coputer then transfers the login crededtials and this is recorded by the usb device. The login may be hashed but It is stored in NTLMv2(?) which only will take a day to a few hours to break on a modern GPU.

What the real questions is, who thought it would be a good idea to install any device plugged in while at the lockscreen? Then also send the hash of the password to that device?

If I remember correctly you can use the raspberry pi zero in usb gadget mode so you can build your own version of this for less than $10.

What do you think of this flaw in both windows, Mac and possibly linux?

Literally anybody whose ever used a keyboard or mouse. Why they'd send the hash is beyond me though. 

Still a pretty major bug, especially since it affects Windows & Macs. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)