6700k vs 5820k/6800k at same clockspeed

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,
Just now, Sahil10416 said:

I agree, i didn't read the ques properly.

Well my answer is that it doesn't matter because both of these cpu's support hyperthreading & if you need more core power while playinf games on 6700k it would automatically split into more logical cores which will result in similar performance.

i gave him the correct answer already ;)

no problem though...i would get the 6800K out of these personally but sometimes the 6700K is noticeably cheaper depending on the motherboard you get and if all you do is gaming then it'll perform better in most games because it has a higher IPC...if user is doing other stuff on the side then i would lean for a X99 build especially if money is not an issue.

Hi!

I'm curious to this, as I haven't managed to find a conclusion anywhere.. Will a 5820k/6800k perform the same as a 6700k at the same clockspeeds, when working singlecore tasks? Or are there more variables to take into concideration? I know more cores are better for multitasking and so on, but will 6 cores @4GHz outperform 4 cores @4GHz in a gaming situation?

no because the 6700K is skylake architecture which is intel's newest...it's faster than haswell (5820K) by roughly 8% per clock cycle and broadwell (6800K) by about 5%.

the 6800K is faster than the 5820K by about 3% per clock cycle.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

No, you won't see any performance increase or decrease in this case because games don't prefer higher number of cores but prefer higher clock speed.

No, you won't see any performance increase or decrease in this case because games don't prefer higher number of cores but prefer higher clock speed.

that's not what he asked.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

that's not what he asked.

Well my answer is that it doesn't matter because both of these cpu's support hyperthreading & if you need more core power while playinf games on 6700k it would automatically split into more logical cores which will result in similar performance.

The 5820K is haswell and the 6800K is broadwell.

Both are worse than Skylake, and skylake-E doesn't exist yet.

So at the same clock speed the 6700k has better core performance.

And unless you do video editing and rendering as your job every day, the 6700k is a better choice.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i gave him the correct answer already ;)

no problem though...i would get the 6800K out of these personally but sometimes the 6700K is noticeably cheaper depending on the motherboard you get and if all you do is gaming then it'll perform better in most games because it has a higher IPC...if user is doing other stuff on the side then i would lean for a X99 build especially if money is not an issue.